WnSoft Forums

AVG 2012

Antbrewer

I know that this subject has been on the forum many times. Barry aired it recently with an Avast problem.

I have just upgraded my licenced AVG to 2012 version and after an issue with the firewall not working which I have now resolved I thought all would be fine.

However on playing my Exe AVs (all created on previous versions than V 7) I receive an AVG warning window of a threat giving me the option to have it quarrantined for further decision or allow. The first time this happened it I selected the wrong option and now I cannot locate the Exe file in the vault (where I assumed it would go) or anywhere else. I appear to have have lost the file completely.

I have in the Resident Shield all my such files earmarked to be allowed to play and not scanned.

Is this a fault of my settings or is it AVG being too cautious.

Help would be most welcome

Anthony

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all your comments,

I had updated first thing today before this happened and have updated since and rebooted and still the warning against any Exe file I play still appears.

On the remotest offchance that the new firewall settings I applied last night had a part to play I turned that off and that made no difference ( I knew that wouldn't ).

On my laptop where I have the 2012 Free Avg I have no problems playing my exe files.

A little puzzling to say the least but very annoying that I seem to have 'lost' the first AV I played this morning.

Anthony

There obviously has to be a difference between a paid-for copy and a free licence; otherwise where's the point in paying? I suspect some of that difference will be in more advanced "heuristic" and "predictive" detection routines; exactly the sort of thing that thinks it has found something that isn't really there!

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

The main difference between the paid and free versions seems to me the inclusion of the Firewall. There are probably other differences but I've no idea what they are.

I have been at the computer for a rather long time this afternoon trying to sort this annoying issue out. I resorted to going on the 'chat line' to AVG and had to wait as I was 32nd in line.

Eventually I had a text dialogue with a 'Marco' fellow who was very patient with me and took me through umpteen settings on the firewall and Identity protection areas.Even though I didn't feel at the time that I had done all that he had suggested we put a few exceptions in the settings and with all my fingers crossed it does appear to be working now without the frustrating warning windows of threats that aren't.

I have run through the start of many of my old AVs and nothing.

I hope I am not speaking too soon.

Thank you guys for your comments. I feel I have learnt quite a bit about AVG today.

Anthony

Dave

Dave i updated before i s/d last night - avg this morn =2092/4592 and this programhttp://www.superanti...C7-FC22A8D39921}

superspymare is after trojans and runs in the background real time i also run winpatrol in the background

http://www.winpatrol.com/

also every couple days i update this http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

it is a freebie and does not run in background -- paid version does not run in background eitheralso i have spybot running in background

ken

Igor,

Thank you for coming back on this issue. I only ever use the PtE icons so that cannot be the problem.

And yes I spoke too soon as it is still happening after having scanned thoroughly 3 times over the last two days. Updated before and after each scan.

Very annoying that I have to stop each play of the exe within 10 secs to cancel out this warning message.

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

JUST A FYI

JUST HAD AN UPDATE OF AVG 2012 PROGRAM

+

a database update

my xp sp3 and win 7 desktop required a reboot

my win 7 did not require a reboot

i tested NOV EDITION OF Lin's xmas card and Trailertrash's latest editon and both passed

2092/4620

nov 16 2012

KEN

Hi Ken,

Yes I too had updated yesterday and had to reboot. Annoyingly after an AV sequence starting it was dumped in the vault.

This morning I updated again and all appears ''better??????''.

John (Big Kev),

Sorry to hear that you too are experiencing these problems. Thought it was only me. My issues appear to be with the Identity protection settings in the 'Advanced settings' menu found under 'tools'.

I would be interested to hear how you are dealing with this. Is yours Free AVG or Licenced? My Free AVG on the laptop top is fine it is just the paid version on the desktop giving me issues. I'm actually paying for this hassle.

Anthony

After the last reported problem with AVG (which I also experienced), I ditched AVG and adopted Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to be doing the same protection job without the AVG hastle.

Hi Robert,

I'm off to (very)sunny Australia next week (And I will also be seeing our Barry as my daughter lives 5 mins from him and Carol)so I will leave my decision whether to change from AVG to another system till my return. I hear good things from friends about MS Essentials so that would be my choice at this stage.

Hopefully AVG will sort this out with their later updates which appear to be the cause of these annoyances.

Anthony

Hi Ken,

Yes I too had updated yesterday and had to reboot. Annoyingly after an AV sequence starting it was dumped in the vault.

This morning I updated again and all appears ''better??????''.

John (Big Kev),

Sorry to hear that you too are experiencing these problems. Thought it was only me. My issues appear to be with the Identity protection settings in the 'Advanced settings' menu found under 'tools'.

I would be interested to hear how you are dealing with this. Is yours Free AVG or Licenced? My Free AVG on the laptop top is fine it is just the paid version on the desktop giving me issues. I'm actually paying for this hassle.

Anthony

Hi Ant - no as I am half Yorkshire it is the free version!!!!

Will have a look at the settings and see what I can find. Have a nice break down under....and see if the water rotates the wrong way down the plug hole!!!!

Sadly this wretched AVG problem has not been resolved. I am now having all my AVs treated as a potential threat on both the laptop and the desktop. Each time I try to play a sequence the warning window appears and orders a shutdown and states that the threat will be put into the virus vault.

Everything is now considered a trojan horse.

A friend of mine this morning rang me to say one of his documents was blocked in the same way by his AVG. He was very worried as he knows even less than I do re computers.

Anyone else out there experiencing this nonsense and frustrations?

Anthony

DG

Thank you for your response. It is a comfort to know that other's are having problems too( in the nicest of ways)

But should I be worried and what should I do?

I have just run a full scan on the laptop and picked up 16 trojan B.........horses. I than recreated an AV from a project file and gave a different name (I'll try anything!) and went to play it and it was wiped out in a flash.

Any advice would be very gratefuly received.

Anthony

Anthony,

I can create my own EXE's with V7.0.2 with no problems - it's only other peoples in (apparently) earlier versions that are giving me problems.

Igor's away for a few days - we'll need to get on his case when he gets back. I tried reopting to AVG last time unsuccessfully.

DG

I created 8 EXE files on 16 Nov ready to show to an audience tomorrow - no problems. Having read this thread I have just launched a sample of them - no problems. My AVG is the free version of AVG 2012 (2012.0.1872) and the database file is 2092/4628. The PTE version used to create the sequences was 7.0.2. I know it doesn't help you with your problem, Anthony, but you asked if anyone else was experiencing problems. Dave isn't and I'm not: and as I understood from one of your earlier posts, you're not on AVG Free - only on the paid-for licence. Do you really need the extra function of the paid-for licence - whatever that might be?

regards,

Peter