• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD MORNING ALL YOU AVG USERS and other interested parties

well good and bad news

win 7 64 bit

avg 2012 .0.1873

dat 2102/4567 dec 4 2011 updated at 12/5/11 at 12:28 am

it picked up my collection of oldies

so if any body has any 3.65 shows be carefull B)

ken

post-16-0-26791200-1323066249_thumb.gif

post-16-0-79856500-1323066266_thumb.gif

Ken, from reading through this 5 page post I see that you have received a number of negative responses. (Just uninstall AVG, get ESET NOD, etc!)

May I, as a regular member of this forum, thank you for bringing this to attention of the PTE community, well done!

The most important aspect for me; is not AVG working on my system, (as I don't use it) but AVG working on the PC's of those kind folk who take the time to download my AV's! This has not happened to me; but I would be most upset if I sent a link to someone, who then tried to download it, only to discover that AVG detected a virus. It's all about respect, credibility and reputation.

When I post an 'exe' via Mediafire, I always tell folk that I have checked for virus/malware etc, before uploading. (I think Mediafire also does a check, but am not completely sure of this.) But I always tell them to make sure to run an antivirus prog, just in case the file has been tampered with as it flies across the "Interweb". To date, as I have said, I have not had a problem. But I think it is right and proper for you to highlight this issue, not only to fellow PTE users but also to Igor.

So, again well done and thank you.

Mark

thanks for the vote of confidence - I needed thatcool.gif

only cooperation by the users, will aid Igor in solving this problem with AVG

ken

Dear Igor,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the mentioned virus in some legitimate applications. The reported files are no longer being detected as a threat on the most recent AVG update. Please update your AVG as described in FAQ 3271:

http://www.avg.com/faq?num=3271'>http://www.avg.com/faq?num=3271

When the update is completed, AVG will automatically restore the falsely detected file from the AVG Virus Vault to its original location.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Catherine Feliciano

AVG Customer Services

http://www.avg.com

i guess she cant read - we have been using 2012 for nearly a month+-

this is what i put in their box

we are having problems with 2011 giving false positves on certain pte files so we up dated to 2012 - problem went away for a bit and is back agin

avg 2012 . 0 . 1873

dat 2102/4657 dec 4 2011 updated at dec 5 2011 12:28 am

ken

I became aware of this problem yesterday when I tried to publish an AV on PtoE 7.0. I updated to AVG 2012 and still could not do it, but this morning (a few minutes ago) I tried again and it was successful.

Thanks to Igor and everyone for getting this sorted out with AVG almost before I knew the problem was there!

Graham Rodger

Igor,

TWO STEPS:

1. Tell AVG that unless they immediately sort out the problem; you will be recommending (via this forum and the install program) that all PTE users abandon AVG and go for the much better and cheaper (i.e. FREE) MS Security Essentials. (Wait for a response) Then build on this and tell them you are going to ask all PTE members (via this forum and the install program) to tell all their friends, fellow PTE users, folk who receive pte exes and so on to abandon AVG as it reports false virus/trogan reports.

2. Once they (AVG) have sorted out the problem, as I am sure they will, tell them they have created a serious 'reliability / confidence' problem with all PTE users AND with the PTE audience worldwide using AVG.

As a result all PTE users should be offered a years free account. In return; you may consider offering them (AVG) a link during the install program.

I offer this, not expecting or wanting a AVG freebie. I use a mac, and have win7 )on the mac with VM ware only for PTE!

no improvement dec 7 2011

win 7 64 bit

still 13 trojans that go back to ver 3.65

Mark - i have 2 exe's up at Mediafire that were i think early ver 4 -that cannot be downloaded with MS essentials -- I think i can safely say they were the first false positives we had - at the time they were downloaded from BEECHBROOK -- Bill Hines, Hawk and myself did a complete recheck of all exe's that Bill had on his site at the time

Mediafire uses Bit defender and they allowed them to be uploaded early this year but according to some people on the forum that are using MS Essentials they are bad

this mornings results attached

ken

post-16-0-26719100-1323243763_thumb.gif

post-16-0-56954900-1323243784_thumb.gif

I can confirm that the 2 exe Ken is referring to are blocked by MSE. It could well be that these aren't false positives but that the files do really containe malware.

Who knows...

On DiaporamaForum, among all various and numerous false positives cases, we had once a member whot really had a virus in her exe file because her PC had been infected shortly before she created the exe.

It was over a month ago, Nov 2nd actually that I put up the first post on AVG upsetting my exe files on my desktop semi believing it was down to my settings on the recent upgrade to 2012. Initially some responded that it might be just that but very soon this wretched situation started to spread and here we are well into December and no obvious resolution to this problem.

This cannot be doing either company any good at all with so many people worldwide who have never looked or even heard of this forum (and hence all the concerned dialogue on this subject) and use both PtE and AVG. This must be effecting them with presumably their changing one or both progams.

I understand that Igor has been in contact with AVG over this but I would have thought (in my 'simple' way) that all AVG would have to do would be to put out a new overriding update to eliminate the previous rogue updates that we have all received causing this chaos.

No doubt I will be told by learned people that it isn't this simple etc etc. But in the meantime?????????

I am still in Australia and return next week to the UK still with the hope that all will well by then..............?

Anthony

Ps. Eric

I think that Colin has AVG from his earlier post.

Just in the past few days 3 people had the same issues wit AVG. Quarantined and altered. Hence no sign of it.

All three was giving me a hard time that I have uploaded infected file to Rapidshare.

I downloaded so as my wife and others using different virus scans without any problem.

I'm using ESET Internet Security. The problem is with AVG.

Laszlo

Whilst running my normal weekend backups I noticed that, amongst the files copied were: Iona_AVG_RESTORED.exe and MarneMemorial_AVG_RESTORED.exe. It would seem that a recent update to AVG has now recognised that these two sequences do not contain a Trojan and it has removed them from the Vault and restored them to their original folders. See the attached screen grab for the database version installed as of this morning.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-0-89072700-1323593139_thumb.jp