WnSoft Forums

POSTING SHOWS

Ken Cox

A suggestion has been made that i feel is valid

So often when shows are posted by people there are a lot of questions asked-- this may be partially solved if,when posting shows either to Beechbrook, mediafire, dropbox etc.,to be downloaded by members , please include as much info as you can IN YOUR NOTES - location, year, aspect ratio, screen resolution you work with, size of file , run time, manual control Camera and lens and any other info that you can provide

This is an example oF what Yachtsman [EricShepherd ] put's in his posting's Mechanics. 42.1mb, 32 slides, run time 2.44 minutes, slide size fixed, AR 5-4.

HE COULD HAVE ADDED MORE

In Fact I think Eric requested something like this quite some time ago

This is not new information, but related to what Ken is suggesting. If uploading to Beechbrook.Com, an area is provided during the upload session entitled "Author's Notes" where users can add a 64,000 character description related to their show. This information is made available to everyone via a link posted along with the author's show on the PTE Download Pages. Additional options are also available on the PTE Download Pages to view Author's Notes sorted by title or by author.

Regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If the slideshow title or topic interests me, I download it. If the show comes from an author that I usually admire there work, I download it. It's as simple as that.

Greg

Greg,

I think that this all started because some are restricted in their download speeds etc.

I don't think that it does any harm to go along with it if at all possible.

I, for instance, would not download anything less than 3:2 regardless of author - but that's my choice and I'm not advocating that shows < 3:2 should not be posted - again, my choice.

If the details are not posted then I don't have the same choices.

DG

Dave -

I guess I'm not so demanding as others. Like I said earlier, it's all about the title and the author. I don't need to know how many slides, the length of the show or the aspect ratio. If I held strong to the "need" to know as some do, I would miss out on a lot of good material. Eric said many times in the past that he would not download anything larger than 20 Mb. I remember thinking , how sad for him, he's the one missing out I'm happy to hear that he has raised his limit significantly.

when I post a show, I include info relating to: title, file size, PTE version and a brief description. I feel no need to indicate the no. of slides or aspect ratio.

I've included a screen shot of a portion of my websites slideshow download page.

Greg

post-5207-0-00950000-1331855133_thumb.jp

thanks to xaver and barry for proving my point about etiquette.

in an attempt to explain to greg why this thread exists i mention one of my criteria and this sends you (Xaver) off at a tangent. instead of seeking to understand someones point of view it is immediately labelled absurd.

absurd it might be in your eyes but it is my choice and there are no rules about what info you give. if you do not want to give this info you are not obliged to.

now please go back to the op?

best wishes

dg

The last posts from "BEB" and "davegee' have me totally baffled. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was simply offering my thoughts based on the opening post. I don't know what the intent of "I mention my criteria and this sends you off at a tangent" by DG or "at least I upset someone" by BEB. I'm not condemning others for what they would like to see prior to downloading, I'm just pointing out that my criteria is not as intensive as others - it's no big deal, just a statement.

Greg Gordon

If you photographers buy photo magazines, there are always features of different peoples work - included in the articles the camera , lens etc is mentioned-- what difference is what Eric requests and what is in the article

see

see macro

http://www.photonews.ca/?p=2839

This month’s had a series – northern lights

http://www.waynelynch.ca/

click the welcome to enter site

this fella had some pentax 645 picts in the mag

http://www.darylbenson.com/

this fella has quite a gallery

http://www.grandmaison.mb.ca/

mag is usually 1-2 months late getting on web

www.photonews.ca

maybe you dont remember - how you took the picts in your show - or how much time you spent adobe'ing the finished product B)

ken

thanks to xaver and barry for proving my point about etiquette ...

Hi Dave,

My post does not discriminate foreigners, nor does it try (in a loud way) to enforce silly rules for this forum, as it is done in posts of particular other members. As I said: I accept your criterion as your way to choose downloads, so please accept that I do regard it as absurd. One of the best members in my AV group uses Olympus equipment, and she produces 4:3 shows. Shall I give her the sack?

Best regards,

Xaver

Greetings,

I almost hate to stick my head up in this topic. However, I have a slant on this that has not been mentioned (I think). While some don't care about seeing any additional information, some do. I find it interesting to see as much information about the slideshow as possible. I have seen posted shows that I wind up wondering where the images were taken. Or if a show did not fill up the wide screen monitor, I wonder what aspect ratio the maker used. I look at the possible set of information to be an educational tool. It lets me know what, where and how the slideshow was created. I try to put as much info in the Author's Notes of Bill's Beechbrook site but many times I just forget to put in some of the information.

I might suggest that the following set of information (or any variation) could be put into the Author's Notes window to remind us of what we could add to give others more info. These items can be ignored or completed or erased:

Year:

Aspect ratio:

Screen resolution:

Size of file:

Run time:

Manual control (yes/no):

Camera and lens:

Any other info that you can provide:

I don't know if this can be done or if Bill wants to get involved in this issue. I think it would be a good reminder (not a requirement) of what we can add to the posting of our shows.

Gary :)

Greetings,

I almost hate to stick my head up in this topic. However, I have a slant on this that has not been mentioned (I think). While some don't care about seeing any additional information, some do. I find it interesting to see as much information about the slideshow as possible. I have seen posted shows that I wind up wondering where the images were taken. Or if a show did not fill up the wide screen monitor, I wonder what aspect ratio the maker used. I look at the possible set of information to be an educational tool. It lets me know what, where and how the slideshow was created. I try to put as much info in the Author's Notes of Bill's Beechbrook site but many times I just forget to put in some of the information.

I might suggest that the following set of information (or any variation) could be put into the Author's Notes window to remind us of what we could add to give others more info. These items can be ignored or completed or erased:

Year:

Aspect ratio:

Screen resolution:

Size of file:

Run time:

Manual control (yes/no):

Camera and lens:

Any other info that you can provide:

I don't know if this can be done or if Bill wants to get involved in this issue. I think it would be a good reminder (not a requirement) of what we can add to the posting of our shows.

Gary :)

Gary... as a benefit to everyone, are you suggesting that I add code for these additional areas of information by folks uploading to my site? Wasn't sure if you wanted it as part of the upload process or somewhere else. Obvioulsy that was what my original "Author's Notes" section was suppose to be. But we all know about that. ;)

Bill

Gary... as a benefit to everyone, are you suggesting that I add code for these additional areas of information by folks uploading to my site? Wasn't sure if you wanted it as part of the upload process or somewhere else. Obviously that was what my original "Author's Notes" section was suppose to be. But we all know about that. ;)

Bill

===================

Greetings Bill,

All I was saying was, perhaps, to include the list of additional information inside the Author's Notes block. When someone gets to that window, all they have to do is to add the information to each line item...or delete the list. This idea was just to make it easier to provide the info if someone wanted to, and maybe get a more uniform set of information for the posted slideshows. As I mentioned, I like to include such info, but in the hurried process of getting a show posted, I usually forget something. It would be just a reminder of what additional information could be included. Just an idea...

(And maybe it is not such a good idea since no one has commented on it....):(

Gary :rolleyes:

Gary

I think your list requires more effort than some put in the making of the show. :lol:

I am amazed a little at this craving for details. I recall some years ago before all slide shows played OK on all monitors. I suggested that members temporarily change their screen resolution to that which the author used so they could see the show as was intended.

If you had seen the responses you would have thought I had asked members to give up their daughters to the slave trade, or I had insulted their wives.

I can see some information may have some use, if so, ask the author and if they want to share that they will. My beef is rules rules rules. I am becoming sick of them because they are mostly irrelavent.

Gary

I think your list requires more effort than some put in the making of the show. :lol:

I am amazed a little at this craving for details. I recall some years ago before all slide shows played OK on all monitors. I suggested that members temporarily change their screen resolution to that which the author used so they could see the show as was intended.

If you had seen the responses you would have thought I had asked members to give up their daughters to the slave trade, or I had insulted their wives.

I can see some information may have some use, if so, ask the author and if they want to share that they will. My beef is rules rules rules. I am becoming sick of them because they are mostly irrelavent.

==================

BEB (Barry?),

I think your are missing the point entirely. The 'list' would already be there waiting for the person to add the information "only if they wanted to." I said it can be ignored, deleted or used. That would take little effort on anyone's part. I don't see it as a "craving" for detail. It is just normal info that we all have and have to consider when we are making a slideshow. It is interesting to me, at least, to understand someone's thought process. Slideshows can be made in many different ways and it would be nice to know how it was made. It seems to me that your asking for members to change their screen resolution was a bit more effort than my suggestion might cause. Why do you suggest that each person who might seek this information should ask the author if they wanted to share it? That would be a burden for the person to ask and the author to respond to each request. I don't get your idea that this is a "rule". Fill out the additional items in the list or don't. It is there for your convenience to use or not use. What's wrong with that???? I hope I have not insulted your wife!!!:)

Gary

Gary

Barry

some people do not know how to change the screen

some computers dont like you fiddlin with them

your website conforms to standard settings so why not your shows?

k

I think your list requires more effort than some put in the making of the show.

I would agree. Either the author of the show's description is intriguing enough to make you download it, or it's not or not. When you start the download, it tells you how big it is. If you're now willing to download a show that big, stop the download. I admit to stopping most downloads above about 70MB unless I have previously downloaded shows that I like from the author or unless it sounds like a really interesting show. If the slideshow is great, I could care less about the details other than where it was taken. My two cents, but I really think some of you folks need to get a life. And Ken, you really need to quit shouting. I thought this was a civilized forum.

Isn't this whole debate just another facet of the larger "etiquette" debate??

If details are not given you are saying "Here's my show - take it or leave it".

If details are given you are giving the viewing public the information they need to make a choice.

All that anyone here needs to do is to say "I will/will not comply" and just get on with it. It is NOT a rule and I don't think that anyone has said that it should be

I have to smile at the tangential debate about changing resolution/aspect ratio to view shows :rolleyes:. I'm pretty sure that BB didn't intend to bring this into the debate other than to prove a point. But nevertheless some want to go off at a tangent every time a red rag is waved.

Changing resolution to view shows is an archaic concept applicable to only CRT's. I think that we now pretty much have a concensus that Flat Screens are intended to be run at Maximum Native Resolution.

It has no place in this debate other than to prove Barry's point about "Sacred Cows".

DG

to help clear up the "rule" miscoception i have added

"A suggestion has been made that i feel is valid"

as the first line of the initial thread entry -- nowhere did the word rule get mentioned -- a typical "knee jerk reaction" by people second guessing

The object of the forum is to supply information for the uninformed

ken