WnSoft Forums

Size of PTE Exe Files

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Despite requests from others, shows are still being posted on here with a minimum of detail. It's almost as though posters just post as few details as possible in the hope that people will download their show once they've gone to the trouble of clicking the link provided, sometimes there isn't even a link, & the person wanting to see the show has to search whichever site it is up-loaded to.

The latest one I tried to download, was 90+ MB, which I wasn't aware of until I actually started the download process, which I immediately stopped when I saw the size.

IMO there is no need to allow the show to exceed 50MB, even if it runs for 10 minutes & has a hundred + images.

Until we moved from a rural area with the slowest imaginable download speed, to a faster area, I set myself a limit of 20MB. I've now increased that to 50MB. I've even in one instance split a show in two to keep below that upload limit. I know some complex shows increase in size out of proportion to their length or content, however, surely for the average 6 minute 50 slide show we don't need to exceed 50MB? Can I add finally, please put as much detail on your original post, at least its size in MB.

Yachtsman1. :(

I agree with putting the MB and the running time as a courtesy to others to let them know what they are in for. I think it is the video that adds the mb's but I don't find it a problem to download large files as I just find something else to do whilst it is downloading - plus I do have maximum download speed.

Guest Yachtsman1

Ken Don't know what you are grouching at me for, you are supposed to be the forerunner in trying to get posters to give more details.

This afternoon this appeared on the site

I clicked the link & had to go through the win7 spam blocker before I got to this screen, see picture. I didn't say the information wasn't available on the download sites, only that posters should give it in their posts. In this instance I took the chance the show wasn't too big for my limits only to eventually find it was.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-32977500-1331327767_thumb.jp

Eric

i made the request because i was requested to by others -- thought it was a reasonable request so i made the posting

but

there are some people on the forum that make a posting to a show with a " click here" and nobody [at least guys like you and i] have no idea where we are going to -- in this case JudyKay did say it was at the cottage and i went blindly there like you -- by doing this i missed out on her notes because the way the site is set up it does not "go back" to beechbrook main menu, it goes back to Judy's wnsoft thread

so bottom line i guess is to avoid postings that post a show that uses the "click here" -- there are some other download sites that make you go there "blind " also

I'm not grouching at you -- i wanted to know if you had found a show i had missed

so i just went back to beechbrook to see what i had missed in the notes

Author's PTE Presentation Notes Presentation Name: Chinese Window Flowers

Download Count: 61

File Size: 94.6M

Contributor: Duan Lu

Notes: Frosty Bedroom Windows during January and February in Northern China. The Chinese call the frosty designs

never heard of the author

Eric you opened a failing in the posting process

good man

ken

Ken Don't know what you are grouching at me for, you are supposed to be the forerunner in trying to get posters to give more details.

This afternoon this appeared on the site http://www.picturest...window-flowers/

I clicked the link & had to go through the win7 spam blocker before I got to this screen, see picture. I didn't say the information wasn't available on the download sites, only that posters should give it in their posts. In this instance I took the chance the show wasn't too big for my limits only to eventually find it was.

Yachtsman1.

Eric, Obviously I have no control over how a person post (or doesn't post) remarks about their shows on the PTE Forum. Ken has alluded to what often happens here on the forum. For years on Beechbrook I have provided a method or vehicle which allows authors to post notes about their shows. Some use it, while others do not. Again... I have no control. I also provide an automated method for announcing new shows on my site which gives a link to my download pages. Only a tiny fraction of forum visitors use it.

If one subscribes to these notices, choosing the embedded link will give the download size of the shows and an option to review any "Author's Notes". Again, if the author neglected to leave any remarks, we have nothing to review. The "Author's Notes" section was actually suggested by a visitor several years ago following their frustration in obtaining additional show information. (Yep, a long standing problem). I wrote the code, placed it online, and to my knowledge that visitor has never returned. B) Oh well !

As always I remain open to visitor comments and suggestions as to how to best serve the PTE community's needs.

Best regards,

Bill

Eric

i made the request because i was requested to by others -- thought it was a reasonable request so i made the posting

but

there are some people on the forum that make a posting to a show with a " click here" and nobody [at least guys like you and i] have no idea where we are going to -- in this case JudyKay did say it was at the cottage and i went blindly there like you -- by doing this i missed out on her notes because the way the site is set up it does not "go back" to beechbrook main menu, it goes back to Judy's wnsoft thread

so bottom line i guess is to avoid postings that post a show that uses the "click here" -- there are some other download sites that make you go there "blind " also

I'm not grouching at you -- i wanted to know if you had found a show i had missed

so i just went back to beechbrook to see what i had missed in the notes

Author's PTE Presentation Notes Presentation Name: Chinese Window Flowers

Download Count: 61

File Size: 94.6M

Notes: Frosty Bedroom Windows during January and February in Northern China. The Chinese call the frosty designs

never heard of the author

Eric you opened a failing in the posting process

good man

ken

Ken,

The link that Judy provided was a direct link to her show on my site. Clicking on that link within the forum obviously takes you to her show. Choosing a return link will always bring you back to the forum since that is where you started from. Users can also choose to post a link to the PTE download pages rather that a direct link, but then there are folks that don't want to be bothered with all the other shows available - they just want one particular show. How do we win in this process ?? :rolleyes:

Bill

Judy said it was posted on your site - but she used "the click here" which is a no no as far as i am concerned - was pure laziness on my part as you know i get a web change every morning for certain pages fromFAQ:

http://www.changedetection.com/faq.html

http://www.changedetection.com/contact.html

IMHO

when the download is complete i would prefer going to the main d/l menu of your site because you have a direct link to the winsoft pages on your menu of downloads

i may be mistaken but i think if the author is a paid member of mediafire and they post a link, it doesnt say you are going to mediafire, it automatically starts that d/l which is in my mind a no no - I always save mediafire files to my mediafire acct before downloading

as i said to Eric he has brought a can of worms to the forefront

either take a chance or DO NOT TAKE THE DOWNLOAD

KEN

Why should the details be published and how does a new recruit to the forum know of this "requirement" Telepathy?

Please don't turn forums into Camera Clubs and then feel there is a need to start making rules that only the chosen few know and understand.

Yikes, I had no idea I would stir up anything like this!

So in simple English, what is the preferred method to post a show here that is on Beechbrook? I "thought" I was doing what I have seen others do.

I rarely post my work because most is not intended for this audience. On whim I tossed the "Window Flowers" (chuanghua) show up--it was for some friends who asked for it and it was supposed to be as many pics as possible that would fit 2 particular songs. So I whipped it together. I thought it curious enough to share here--though it is not an AV work by any means.

Yeah its big--90+ MB. 130 some pictures. They are sized for a friends monitor 1080 high and 15:10 aspect and saved at LR jpg level 70. The two songs are about 4 MB each. Be glad I didn't make you look at all 299 pictures that I took. You would have been really frosted. A friend decided what pics to include---I just followed orders.

I'll try to be be good from now on.

Guest Yachtsman1

Judy

You haven't been singled out as the forum bad girl. The reason I selected your show is explained in the previous posts. Some of us would like to make a decision whether the show would suit what we are looking for. This means reading what the poster has said abut the show and of course, it's size. Unfortunately you chose the route you did without any details such as the size in MB. I took a chance & clicked the link you provided & that's what started the ball rolling. Don't let this deter you from posting in future, just let us have more details before we decide whether to download.

Yachtsman1. ;)

Ken

Please describe exactly what attitude I have that makes me unwelcome here. If it's the case that I will not read all the posts, then you had better get ready to ban many more casual observers in the forum.

Can you also tell me what work I am required to do? When I joined the forum I never read anything about my having to do any work.

I for one would not wish to discourage any New Member - I was one once - and I'm sure I asked questions that had been answered before. The posts on this site are huge and not the easiest to navigate. Keep the faith BEB, if I have the answer to any question then I'll freely give it but don't hold your breath.

I for one would not wish to discourage any New Member - I was one once - and I'm sure I asked questions that had been answered before. The posts on this site are huge and not the easiest to navigate. Keep the faith BEB, if I have the answer to any question then I'll freely give it but don't hold your breath.

Mick, this is a good remark in my opinion. I don't hold my breath, but I'm pretty sure that you really can give some advice, just try to do it. There are others with thousands of posts who might have done better to do less :)

Regards,

Xaver

Ken

Please describe exactly what attitude I have that makes me unwelcome here. If it's the case that I will not read all the posts, then you had better get ready to ban many more casual observers in the forum.

Can you also tell me what work I am required to do? When I joined the forum I never read anything about my having to do any work.

why dont you read the complete thread before you criticize - you have this link as well as the one i also provided -- that is what i consider work on your part B)

Well it seems to me that it is not a very good thing on this forum to have a different view to the establishment. (or language).

I cannot see any good reason to post technical details on a posted show if the author does not want to. I also believe that it is uneccessary rule being applied where none are needed.

Its a FORUM not a club, please don't feel that you have to make rules that most casual observers will miss anyway. Common sense and being polite is enough. Isn't it?

I don't think there is any "good" reason to post more than the size of the download, but if it's a very "large" show and you care whether everyone who wants to see it will do so, it might be a good idea to offer it in video format with a link as well as perhaps in PC or Mac executable format. With video, the viewer still ends up downloading the large show, but generally not having to "wait" until the download has finished for the show to begin.

Some here seem to only want to watch shows in wide format, etc., and that's a personal choice but really not something which the show's producer needs to be concerned with, in my opinion.

I put the approximate size of the show after the link myself, but rarely bother with details about the format (wide or 4:3, 3:2, etc.) because regardless of the equipment the viewer has they will be able to see it. As far as the type of camera, lens, focal length, etc., - if one feels it necessary to give that information fine, but in the final analysis most could care less about these details.

Opinions different from the prevailing ones are always welcome in my opinion. We may not all agree, and we may sometimes get into rather heated discussions about these differences but that doesn't mean that differences of opinion are bad or that one's having a different opinion are not equally welcome to express them.

Unless the poster is asking specifically for comments or criticism on how to improve the presentation, it's probably best to say something nice or say nothing at all.

Just my opinion and $.02

Lin

Well it seems to me that it is not a very good thing on this forum to have a different view to the establishment. (or language).

I cannot see any good reason to post technical details on a posted show if the author does not want to. I also believe that it is uneccessary rule being applied where none are needed.

Its a FORUM not a club, please don't feel that you have to make rules that most casual observers will miss anyway. Common sense and being polite is enough. Isn't it?

I don't think there are any "Rules" about giving info but I do like to know if a show is lasting two minutes or ten minutes especially if I am getting bored with it.

...............but I do like to know if a show is lasting two minutes or ten minutes especially if I am getting bored with it.

Hi Mick,

Don't we already have this?

The Nav bar (if enabled) shows time elapsed as well as total time.

Of course, not everyone enables the Nav Bar.

DG

Hi Mick,

Don't we already have this?

The Nav bar (if enabled) shows time elapsed as well as total time.

Of course, not everyone enables the Nav Bar.

DG

That's why I always enable Nav Bar on my shows. I'd hate to bore people to death.