WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe

I mentioned in another thread how some camera clubs are using remote judges and PicturesToExe to present their competitions and I guess many of you can visualise how that would look. However, for anyone interested I have an example here. The file size is around 70mb because we now have a club image size limit within a maximum of 1920*1080 pixels. We also add a bit of music while showing the high scores again

We can fit in a judges preamble or any comments they wish to make before starting, then include their comments and marks recorded word for word, then we show the 8,9 and 10 point images at the end with authors names. Its been done like this at our club for about 3 years now and I have heard of others doing the same. The judge is sent the image via Mediafire and all he/she sees are titles and no names. It does allow us to get judges from anywhere in the world and we know when we start the evening exactly how long the competition will last. This helps us to plan other things around it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cu4xkcuwvbdlolb

Hi Barry

I would love to see your slideshow, but after spending 5 minutes on mediafire constantly clicking download and repair download links, and then getting one of these scam antivirus scans start to run on my computer, I decided it was an unsafe location and gave up. Would it be possible to upload to dropbox or some other alternative?

Geoff

Geoff

I was surprised with what you said about MediaFire. At my end when I click the link from the forum, the MediaFire download comes up and operates fine. I can upload it elswhere later, but I am already uploading a couple of slide shows now

Geoff

a week back there were some problems at mediafire as described by you and i wrote to customer support --they said they would try and resolve - -- i advised them earlier that people were discouraged from using their services

i got Barry's show just now with no problems

so if people would write to them and provide the offending link possibly they will be able to resolve the issue

ken

Karen

My mistake – this was the link that brought up said message today – cant say it will do it again

ken

http://www.mediafire...8c1caz1nhkkkfp9

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:20 PM

To: pbyk@sympatico.ca

Subject: Re: [Ticket#2012080710000842] 2 A new ticket was submitted: 8/7/12 05:08:02 am

Hello,

Do you happen to have the Mediafire URL link to the file that resulted in you receiving this link that you provided to us referencing the virus in question? This is the file that we need in order to investigate the matter.

We appreciate you choosing MediaFire.

Karen

MediaFire | Customer Support

I have had at time similar problems with MediaFire too, so what I do now is right click the MediaFire download link, and do a save as

Anyway, back to the original subject; an interesting concept after watching.

Its quite good to listen to your views when evaluating images, maybe you should post this on your own site.

Ray

Can I assume that you don't belong to a camera club or photographic society by your comment. This is what clubs do at many meetings amongst other things of course. Competitions tap into our natural human competitive spirit, but the idea is that we gradually learn what makes a good picture by the comments made by the judge. Not, one single comment, but collectively over time.

What I have posted is just one way to do it when you live in a country where travelling distances can be a problem. Many clubs in the UK have the judge attend on the night, but we can't always achieve that, but this method has some benefits over a live judge.

Barry

I help to run Chester Photographic Society (and was instrumental in getting you to visit us a few years ago). We often need to encourage new members to join in the competitions and provide advice on what a judge is looking for. I thought your video would help in that process. I particularly liked the inclusion of some of your own images at the beginning, as this set the standard to aim for. This may not have been the original purpose of the video but it is a useful byproduct.

Ray Groome

Ray

Sorry, I made the wrong assumption and should have known better. I remember Chester, I think !! Wasn't that the venue that had tiered seating and nowhere for me to sit. The place was set up for a lecturn presentation and I wasnt geared up for that. Somone rigged up a flat surface in amongst the seating and we managed OK. I am sure that was Chester, but wouldn't put any money on it. :lol:

Hi Barry I eventually got the file by right click and save as. Well worth the effort, an excellent tutorial and a very interesting concept. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had to go into hospital for an operation on my shoulder, so now having to type and mouse left handed for the next 6 weeks.

Its hard to find good meeting halls that can be used through the day (can be blacked out) that don't cost an absolute fortune. The cost of the hire is normally enough to make any venture a no go before you start. At least at Chester we managed OK.

Had a full days talk a few weeks ago in Brisbane where PTE was the subject, but while it was a sucessful day, the club that invited me were not able to black out the room sufficiently. It took the edge off the day. If people wish to learn, I think its important they are comfortable in the venue as well as with the speaker.

Anthony, yes I remember...