WnSoft Forums

Preferences tab for Folders

This topic has been opened at Igor's request. It stems from a brief discussion in the v7.5 Beta section of the forum.

Background

V7.5 of PTE introduces at least three new "file types" that can be saved on behalf of the user:

- a "Profile" of the Toolbar settings from Settings | Preferences | Toolbars

- the auto-recovery data file(s)

- a custom-built transition effect file

It seems possible that other new file types might be introduced in future releases of PTE.

Proposal

I suggest a possible solution for managing these files via the following design:

- add to Settings | Preferences a new tab called "Folders"

- in this tab allow the user to specify their choice of folders for such as Templates, Custom Transitions, Toolbar profiles, Auto-Recovery files, etc.

- when PTE launches, use these defined folders to access the relevant data

- when PTE is running, use these defined folders to access the relevant data

- if a new release of PTE introduces a new type of file that the user's data is being saved into, add a new folder definition to this new tab

regards,

Peter

I have posted a separate suggestion giving my reasons so as not to confuse your suggestion.

Dave,

That wasn't necessary. You seem to have mis-understood what I was trying to say when I wrote:

This post is "off topic" for this thread.

I was trying to say that that specific post that I had written and that contained those words was the post which was "off topic". I was not suggesting that your post was in any way "off topic".

regards

Peter

P.S. If two individuals who share a common first language can mis-understand one another, what hope is there for those for whom English is, at best, a second language? :rolleyes:

P.P.S I'm sorry, I have just realised that I have assumed that English is your first language. For all I know, you could be a native Welsh speaker who has English as his second language. Whatever, I meant no offence to any one.

Can we not already save our Preferences by using Templates?

It is not something I have normally used, but might start now we can Customise things more.

We could set up basic Templates for the different types of Workspace we want.

If Templates can be used for this, then it saves Igor work in having to code a new feature.

Jill

Jill,

I have used Templates from Day One.

Try saving a Template with "Show File Tree" switched off.

Switch File tree back on and Open the previously saved project.

It doesn't open up with the File Tree switched off.

My opinion is that a saved Total Workspace Set would be beneficial, not only to the user, but also to Igor as a diagnostic tool in conjunction with the Project File.

How many times have we heard Igor say that he cannot duplicate the user's problem? This could, in some cases, such as the recent "Access Violation" problem, be due to the fact that the Project File is not the problem - it is the workspace. Having both the user's Workspace Set and his/her Project File would be a tremendous time saver for Igor.

Just IMHO (in my honest opinion) - other opinions are available.

DG

P.S. In view of the recent post regarding abbreviations etc I thought that I had better explain IMHO.B)

P.P.S - Peter, Re the misunderstanding - I thought that you were refering to MY post as being "off topic". Please don't use an English/Welsh Dictionary on my account. I would need to use a Welsh/English dictionary to understand what you were trying to say. Furthermore you could not reproduce the dialect.:D