WnSoft Forums

Visible consecutive numbers

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I am using 7.0.7 version. I want to add consecutive visible numbers to the slides, that can be seen when the show is running, is there an easy way other than modifying each slide with a button or text. Gets a bit tedious when you have 60 plus slides :unsure: I'm looking for a method similar to Exel where you can add consecutive numbers or months???

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Project Options > Comments > Set Comment For New Slides > Insert Template > Slide Number (Set for existing slides)?

Tried that but it seems to set the same number in each slide???

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-19188000-1347980370_thumb.jp

If you don't click on Set for existing Slides you don't get anything so I don't think it was that.

Definitely not, if you add a slide the template will be executed on the added slide, not on the existing slides, when you click on the button "Set for existing Slides" all slides will be adapted.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Did your screen look like this?

post-4886-0-16315400-1347981686_thumb.jp

Peter

Hi Peter

What I did with my first SS was type 1 in the insert template box, then clicked set for existing slides. What I have before inserting is in the SS below. The equasion in your SS I don't know where that comes from, have I to type it in?.

Regards Eric

post-5560-0-27362600-1347991995_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I have been using this programme since 2007, I've made hundreds of slide shows, but this is the first instance where I need to add numbers to slides. The scales have been lifted from my eyes :blink: . Thanks for all the help. I can now acheive what I wanted.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Further to my query on this problem. Background, the reason for wanting numbers on the slides, I had been asked to take pictures for a local Church's 100th aniversery. We both took pictures & made a show of the results, obviously when two photographers are on a shoot there is some duplication. So the numbers were to allow the Church to select which version of a particular shot they wanted. This morning I re-assembled the existing show to enable it to be used for one of our residents slide nights. The first thing I did was remove the numbering template from project options, which deleted the numbers then re-assemble the show without the duplicate slides & ran it through. When I got to the end I found the black titles slide's text had also been erased. Is this normal? :unsure: When I removed the numbering template I also clicked the set for existing button.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-14821800-1348124370_thumb.jp

The first thing I did was remove the numbering template from project options, which deleted the numbers then re-assemble the show without the duplicate slides & ran it through. When I got to the end I found the black titles slide's text had also been erased. Is this normal? No

When I removed the numbering template I also clicked the set for existing button.

Yachtsman1.

What is a "Black Titles Slide" and where did you insert the text?

The "normal" way to create a title slide would be to key ALT + S on keyboard to create a new BLANK slide - go to O&A and insert text there via the TEXT Button.

Nothing in the Comments Tab would alter that.

Hi Eric,

Slide numbers are really "not" the best way to do what you have described. Among the "templates" available (now you know how to use this feature) is a template for "Picture Name." This will always identify the individual picture rather than the "position" of the picture in the slideshow.

What you are doing with "slide number" is identifying the "position" of a slide in your show which will change if you add or delete or move any slide. The "Picture Name" is pulled from the EXIF information and unless you subsequently rename a photo, it will remain constant regardless of the position of the slide in the show, or even if you add more photos or delete some.

In other words, the "PIcture Name" stays with the photo always. The "slide number" simply identifies the sequential position of slides in your show and will obviously change whenever you move things or add things. For example, if you have 10 slides in your show and you move slide two to the end of the show, all slide numbers will change except slide one, etc.

By using "Picture Name" as your template, individual slides will "always" have the same names regardless of position or addition of new material..

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Lin & DG

DG to make this "easy to understand" The black titles slide is an inserted blank/black pte slide via right click "Insert Black/Blank Slide, with text added via the comments box at the top of the page.

Lin. The numbers were to make it easy for the non computer literate viewer to identify the slide EG 1 2 3 . My slide names were not consecutive & from different cameras so could cause confusion & difficulty leading to errors when listing. 1 2 3 was the easy option for the recipiant, the number retention when the slide is moved was not relevant in this case as the user was getting an Exe file. So after all that, is what I experienced a bug :unsure: both, see screen shot.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-84133900-1348148203_thumb.jp

Just did a quick trial.

Setting slide number as a comment will overwrite the comments made by the other method.

If the Slide number is then deleted both are gone.

I agree with Lin about the numbering issue.

If the images are inserted into the slide panel in the alpha-numerical order that they appear in the image panel then it usually works out best.

Alternatively there is the option to use the JPEG EXIF TIME option which would ensure STRICT chronological order. The drawback is that it is once again not as simple as 1,2,3.....

But sometimes people have to go with your way and not theirs.

DG

P.S. Correction JPEG EXIF TIME will only work if unedited JPEGs are used so we are back to FILE NAME or Slide Number.

If the original files were batch re-named to include the time of exposure then strict chronological order is possible.

Batch re-naming is a doddle in NX2 - but only if both cameras are Nikon.