WnSoft Forums

More Menu Problems (Solved but don't ask me how)

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I have just completed two new menus for presentation in Autumn & Christmas. My LT already has a similar menu installed a couple of months ago. One menu contains only one exe, the other 12 exe's. I tested both menus on my desk top before transferring them to my LT via a memory stick. During the transfer I got an up date your graphics card message from NVidia which I did while the biggest menu was transferring from the stick. When everything had settled down & the LT re-started I tried one of the menus & got the dreaded desk top flash back. All the exe's were made using 7.0 series, currently using 7.07. Racking my brains I thought I would try switching off hardware aceleration. When I did that, the buttons would not open the exes. So I switched HA back on & got the buttons operating but with the DT flash back using the menu exe. The show menu installed a couple of months ago with HA on works fine, no flash back. So I can only deduce that something in 7.07 is causing the problem. Non of the menus contain video, or animation, just straight slides & buttons with manual advance. Since switching the HA off & on none of the menus will operate when opened from the full screen toast button, only from the original menu exe. :blink: Any suggestions please.

Yachtsman1

This morning I went back to the original file on my PC. Deleted all reference to menu files & exes. I then set up a new PTE show with the same slides I copied from the last version as I was fed up repeating the same things.

I then edited Project Options to suit what I wanted. Made sure the 7 buttons for this show were set to Run Slideshow with Return & authorised to the correct exes re-made in 7.07. Then tried it from the PTE toaster, everything operated as normal, no desk top flash back.

However, the opening music was still playing when an exe finished.

So I went into the button slide in customise slide, ticked the run music box as Stu suggested, of course didn't add any music & tried again.

This time when an exe finished, the show went back to the slide before the button slide briefly and faded in to the button slide.

As the slide before the button slide had text on it, I copied the button slide without the buttons & added it before the button slide, so now when an exe finishes, the buttonless button slide appears briefly & fades into the button slide naturally , which is acceptable.

However, I believe 7.07 is a retrograde step, where 7.04 would accept exes from older versions & was less demanding on conformity.

Thanks Stu & others who contributed suggestions. I can sleep soundly tonight. :D

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-83305800-1348335886_thumb.jp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then that's your problem!

You cannot "guarantee" to have no desktop flashback using "Run Application...". If you want a guaranteed "no flashback", you need to use "Run Slideshow with Return". The downside of that is that you then must do the "Publish" of each show and of the menu show, all using the exact, same version of PTE (all using v7.0.7 or all using v7.5.0 beta 6 or whatever). It's a bit of a pain, but not insurmountable. I've been doing things this way ever since I got my first Vista system and encountered this problem for the first time. The reason Igor introduced the "Run Slideshow..." options was to get around the flashback problem.

The only other "guaranteed no flashback" technique that I am aware of is to use PTE v4.49 to build the menu - and I'm not sure whether that is 100% effective in all circumstances.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

As I explained above, I have a similar Menu, constructed a couple of months ago using I believe 7.05 which is installed on both the DT & LT which works perfectly using Run Application, the only difference is, these two latest menus were constructed using 7.07. when I downloaded 7.07 I allowed it to take over so that any future work uses it. What I will do is produce a second exe for the "good" menu & see what happens. There is still the anomoly that the two new menus work perfectly on my DT but not the LT. I don't suppose there is any way of checking which version an exe was produce in? SS attached are for the "good menu" with the date it was produce from the properties.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-00758100-1348384704_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-32803200-1348384748_thumb.jp

Eric,

Do both your PCs run the same operating system?

As I recall, there was no problem at all with any version of PTE running on XP. Under Vista it was almost impossible to get a launch off a menu that was "flashback" free unless you used "Run Slideshow..." or built the menu with PTE v4.49. Under Windows 7, I've heard of some folks who get launches via "Run Application..." that are free of any flashback and others for whom the only solution is to use "Run Slideshow...". The situation seems to be more complicated than just the difference between PTE v7.0.7 and PTE v7.0.6.

I gave up using "Run Application..." to launch PTE AV sequences from a PTE Menu sequence a long time ago. I always use "Run Slideshow with Return". As a consequence, I have to accept the need to re-Publish each of the target sequences to ensure that all files have been created using the same PTE version. It has become part of my standard workflow and is almost second nature to me now.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Do both your PCs run the same operating system?

As I recall, there was no problem at all with any version of PTE running on XP. Under Vista it was almost impossible to get a launch off a menu that was "flashback" free unless you used "Run Slideshow..." or built the menu with PTE v4.49. Under Windows 7, I've heard of some folks who get launches via "Run Application..." that are free of any flashback and others for whom the only solution is to use "Run Slideshow...". The situation seems to be more complicated than just the difference between PTE v7.0.7 and PTE v7.0.6.

I gave up using "Run Application..." to launch PTE AV sequences from a PTE Menu sequence a long time ago. I always use "Run Slideshow with Return". As a consequence, I have to accept the need to re-Publish each of the target sequences to ensure that all files have been created using the same PTE version. It has become part of my standard workflow and is almost second nature to me now.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I've just revised the two menus as suggested using "run slideshow" in the course of transferring them to the LT I checked which version of PTE is on there & it's 7.04 :blink: The transfer is a long process as the Christmas show is almost 3 GB, (the curse of video), so I'll come back after the transfer & report findings. ? how do I upgrade 7.07 onto my LT without getting a 7.5 beta?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I've just revised the two menus as suggested using "run slideshow" in the course of transferring them to the LT I checked which version of PTE is on there & it's 7.04 :blink: The transfer is a long process as the Christmas show is almost 3 GB, (the curse of video), so I'll come back after the transfer & report findings. ? how do I upgrade 7.07 onto my LT without getting a 7.5 beta?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I've now completed the transfer, downloaded version 7.07, the same problem (desktop flashback)is still there, the PTE icon for 7.07 is showing in the project file, so I'm stumped. SS is of LT showing original version.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-69699800-1348396931_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Did you install v.7.0.7 into the same directory as v.7.0.4 (typically C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe\7.0) ?

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver

Yes I allowed the installation of 7.07 to overwrite 7.04. I've attached screen shots from the DT & LT which I believe are identical location wise.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS Just re-read Peters comments, the current test the exe's contained in the menu weren't converted to 7.07, & will have been made with 7.04.

post-5560-0-56296200-1348411447_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-12028400-1348411467_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Change the explorer's setting to Details and look at size and date of PicturesToExe.exe .

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver

I think I've done as suggested, see resuting screen shots.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-98809400-1348415259_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-78140500-1348415283_thumb.jp

I have no idea what has happened to your system. In both cases, your PicturesToExe.exe (1.99 MB, 27/07/2012 20:02) seems to be the correct one from v.7.0.7. If I were in your situation, I would uninstall first 7.5beta and then uninstall 7.0 Then I would re-install 7.0.7, and (if you like the beta version, as well). Good luck!

In order to avoid the desktop flash, you should follow Peter's recommendations.

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Xaver

I have never installed 7.5 on either my DT or LT. I was waiting until it became stable before trying. However since my last post, I have constructed a new menu following Peter's suggestions, using one show constructed in 7.07 earlier this week. When I tried the show I got the error in SS1, so I tried reverting to "run Application or open file", same error message, so then I switched hardware acc' back on same error. Thinking it may be something to do with my graphics driver update, I checked the menu created earlier this week which is giving the flash back on the LT, that operates fine on the DT. I have attached screen shots of all the components of the new menu for checking, SS4 is the show I have installed in the test menu, 1 2 & 3 are fom the test menu. Can I ask if anyone else who has created a menu in 7.07 if they are having any problems.

Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-11784700-1348438157_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-28141100-1348438176_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-25165400-1348438197_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-08265500-1348438238_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

The error message from you first screen shot normally shows up in cases where the target show (show that is called by the 'run slideshow' command) has been renamed or is no longer in the location where it should be.

Regards,

Xaver

I copied the St Patricks exe into the test menu & didn't re-name it, see ss2.?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I copied the St Patricks exe into the test menu & didn't re-name it, see ss2.?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

I have deleted the exe from the menu & copied the original back into the menu, the test menu now operates on the desk top. Too late to try it on the LT, will give it a go tomorrow. Night night :blink:

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Do you think that you will be able to sleep without having solved you problems :lol:

Regards,

Xaver

Just got out of bed (8.00)after a sound nights sleep. As we say in England, "a problem shared is a problem halved!" Just going to create an exe from the now working menu & transfer the file to the LT, back later.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I've now transferred the menu folder to the LT & tested it & it works as it should, no desktop flashback. I suspect that something in the PTE programme has been changed between 7.04 & 7.07 to prevent my usual way of constructing a menu? IMO having a menu system that forces the user to ensure all the exe's are constructed from the same version is disruptive.

All the exe's I and probaly many others have stored on their hard drives & servers around the universe, made using previous versions, cannot be used in a menu without resorting to finding the original files & re-making the exe, especially when versions are changing at the rate they are. Surely it's not beyond the realms of possibility to construct a universal menu format to have the ability to use all exe's no matter when they were made.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Well, that fell on deaf ears.

The more I think about the current problems I've experienced with menus in 7.07 the angrier I get. I get the idea people think it's just Eric sounding off again. For an example, thousands of AV & camera clubs use PTE to construct menus for presentations or competitions, if the situation persists where exe's can only be run via a menu constructed with the version the exe's were made in, there is going to be a lot of unhappy people when they find that old version exe's cannot be used.

Rant over back to my problem.

I've now re-made 14 exes in 7.07 re-made their menus (2), transferred them to my LT, & yes, they work without the flashback. However, there's always a however, with the 13 exe menu I added starting & closing music clips timed to cover the title & end slides & end & start at the button slide, which previously worked as I wanted, now when an exe finishes & returns to the button slide, the opening music starts to re-play from the beginning, for all 13 exes. Synchronize music & slides is unticked & the music clips were added to the first slide & the slide after the button slide. I suspect something has changed in 7.07 to cause this, as there has been a lot of complaints about it's function, does anyone know the solution. Thanks to those who made suggestions, hopefully all the errors will have been corrected when the working 7.5 appears. :unsure:

Yachtsman1

The more I think about the current problems I've experienced with menus in 7.07 the angrier I get. I get the idea people think it's just Eric sounding off again. For an example, thousands of AV & camera clubs use PTE to construct menus for presentations or competitions, if the situation persists where exe's can only be run via a menu constructed with the version the exe's were made in, there is going to be a lot of unhappy people when they find that old version exe's cannot be used.

I have come into contact with members of many UK AV Groups through attending events organised by the Royal Photographic Society's Audio-Visual Group. Without exception, they are all aware of the "desktop flashback" problem and have put in place one or other of the known options for circumventing the problem:

- use an XP-based PC on which to run the sequences

- use PTE v4 to build the menu sequence

- use "Run Slideshow with Return" and Publish all the sequences using the same version of PTE.

Speaking purely personally, I would much rather the WnSoft team concentrated their efforts into providing new function that will be of value to the vast majority of users, rather than putting effort into resolving a problem that affects only a sub-set of the user population. Again, speaking purely personally, I find it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to build a menu to drive up to nine sequences, and that includes the time taken to run Publish on each of the target sequences.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I have come into contact with members of many UK AV Groups through attending events organised by the Royal Photographic Society's Audio-Visual Group. Without exception, they are all aware of the "desktop flashback" problem and have put in place one or other of the known options for circumventing the problem:

- use an XP-based PC on which to run the sequences

- use PTE v4 to build the menu sequence

- use "Run Slideshow with Return" and Publish all the sequences using the same version of PTE.

Speaking purely personally, I would much rather the WnSoft team concentrated their efforts into providing new function that will be of value to the vast majority of users, rather than putting effort into resolving a problem that affects only a sub-set of the user population. Again, speaking purely personally, I find it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to build a menu to drive up to nine sequences, and that includes the time taken to run Publish on each of the target sequences.

regards,

Peter

Speaking personally, I think that is a selfish attitude to adopt, similar to car makers who put out new models then have to recall them to correct the faults that shouldn't have been there in the first place. IMO!!!

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :ph34r:

Just to throw another spanner into the works!

I have just created a menu on my Win7 64 bit laptop to play all my sequences.

I have noticed that with sequences created in PTE v5.0 or earlier they play smoothly with no flashes.

Sequences created after v5.0 have a white flash when the sequence starts. They all return to the Menu smoothly at the end whatever version they were created in.

I have used Run Application or Open File on all the sequences. Hardware Acceleration is on.

Now here is the odd part!!

I have 2 users set up on my Laptop, one for normal use & the other when out giving talks.

The menu was created on my 'normal' user.

When run under that user the White flash is very brief & appears at the side of the screen, so is not that noticeable.

But when I run the Menu under my 'Show' User The white is much more pronounced & is at the Top & Bottom of the screen.

Also it appears as a band that slowly shrinks rather than a sudden flash. So it is much more noticeable.

No time to recreate all my sequences under 7.07 as I am giving a talk tomorrow night & still have loads to do!

So I will have to live with it.

It just seems very strange that it is giving two different results on the same Laptop.

As far as I can see there is nothing in the setup of the two user accounts that would cause a difference.

Both are full Administrator access.

Jill