WnSoft Forums

Streaming video from your own web site

potwnc

There's been a lot of discussion here over the years about the best way to stream video directly from your own web site. I've been looking into this recently and have just finished testing a way to do it using HTML5. Depending on your audience, most/many of them should by now have HTML5 capable browsers (internet explorer 9, firefox since a few years ago, Google chrome, safari etc.).

My test page (not yet linked from the rest of my web site) is at http://www.peoplesoftheworld.org/mjc/five.jsp It streams video directly from the production web server using HTML5 technology and I would like forum members to go to this page and test it and let me know if the video worked successfully for you (you don't have to watch the whole video, if it looks OK after a few seconds of play time then it will be OK in the final version). If it did or did not work for you please reply here telling me which browser/version and operating system/version you are using.

In return I will answer any questions anyone may have about how I set up this page.

As an aside, since my Spanish is far from fluent, any improvements to the Spanish translation would also be appreciated!

Ray

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ray

The page opened up when I clicked the link, I watched the first 30 seconds, there wasn't any video just still shots & sound? I couldn't enlarge it to fit my monitor as per usual Vimeo/Youtube practice, by clicking the full screen icon. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be? I use Yahoo (IE9) browser, W7 Professional OS.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Ray,

Works perfectly on XP-Sp3 both from your direct 'Link' and from the 'Vimeo-Link' ~ just slightly out of focus

on (Full-Screen) playback but thats to be expected with HTML.

Browser "Pale-Moon" a Firefox based development of IE.8 ~ IE.9 without the IE limitations and very fast.

Brian.(Conflow)

Thanks for helping out. I'll post a brief tutorial on this in the next few days.

Here is the brief tutorial. I hope one of the admins will re-post it in the tutorials section of the forum.

Video Streaming Tutorial.pdf

Hi Ray,

It would be much easier if you would just post this link in the Tutorials section. If you post it there it will appear under your name. If one of the moderators posts it there it will appear under their name. Just click on the "Tutorials" sub link under the category you have it in now and repost the info below: We can't move just this part - would have to move the entire discussion.

Best regards,

Lin

Here is the brief tutorial. I hope one of the admins will re-post it in the tutorials section of the forum.

I think there are 2 ways to do that - depending on how you've got it set up inside your page:

1) With tags, something like:

<flvplayer loop="true">myFlashVideo.flv</flvplayer>.

2) With embedded JavaScript, something like:

on (complete){

this.autoRewind=true;

this.play();

}