WnSoft Forums

A Few Snapshots From Our Trip....

Lin Evans

My old pup Honey and I took a little trip to Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and Monument Valley - Here's a few snapshots...

http://www.lin-evans.org/bryce/bryce.zip (about 68 meg)

http://www.lin-evans.org/bryce/brycemac.zip (MacIntosh Version - about 68 meg)

Lin

Hi Ken,

Thanks!

Actually, I used three different cameras on the trip. The high resolution shots were with a Sigma DP2 Merrill, a number of others were with a Nikon D7000 and a couple were with the Canon SX50 HS. I just grab the one which works best for the task at hand. The Sigma has a fixed 45mm lens, the D7000 had an 18-105mm and the Canon has a 24-1200 mm.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom,

Thanks! Yes, John Ford loved Monument Valley - lots of John Wayne westerns were filmed there. I first visited Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion in 1946 and shot my first images there in 1952 with a Brownie 127. They are beautiful places to visit. Lots of tourist these days, and the Navajo are running a serious commercial tour business in Monument Valley. There are so many extended 4x4 Vans and modified pickup trucks carrying about a dozen tourists each that it almost spoils the experience in Monument Valley theses days. They routinely exceed their own speed limit by double, loud speakers blaring, and stirring up huge clouds of red dust. I had originally planned to spend three days in Monument Valley, but one night and one day were all I could tolerate.

Honey is an old pup too - she's pushing eleven but still loves to ride, sniff new bushes and pee on new trees - LOL. It was bitter cold in Bryce Canyon and we had to share the camp ground with a cougar. The altitude of the camp ground is around 8500 feet and with the temperature hovering around 15 - 18 degrees F at night with winds, the tent was freezing. Fortunately, I had an extra sleeping bag for Honey. She crawled up right next to me, stuck her frozen nose under my arm and started snoring - LOL. We took turns watching for the cougar - thought maybe we could get a flash shot or two, - Honey was anxious to meet a big kitty - but she didn't make a cameo, at least while I was awake.

The font is called Bleeding Cowboy - I think it's available for free download on the web. I've had it for a few years so haven't looked lately.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Colin,

Thanks! it was a nice trip - Honey and I were getting a bit "stir crazy" and definitely needed to get away and get some fresh air. It's always fun to see the southwest and it was beautiful in October.

Best regards,

Lin

Loved it Lin!

We made a trip to the area in July of thsi year. But we tried to cover too much ground in the time avaiable. We only spent an afternoon in Bryce Canyon - Big mistake. Your capture of the hoodoos are awesome. They almost look like they illuminated from inside! Thanks so much. A fine memory - shown the way they should be shown.

Dick

Thanks Dick,

Thanks!

Yes, to really appreciate the Bryce Canyon Hodoos, one needs to be there for sunup, high noon and sundown since they all offer the myriad changing phenomenon of the appearance of these magical formations. Sometimes only a few seconds separate the mundane from the phenomenal. My dog and I spent three days and nights there sharing our campground with a visiting cougar - fortunately she didn't share our tent! LOL. I was up before sunrise each morning to get on the trail and find the best location I could for the captures. I was hoping for some snow, but was a little early. Perhaps next year I will try again.

Best regards,

Lin

Well all I can say is...I think we are on the same page about...just about everything. Great stuff all around. My kind of show for sure...and one of my favorite soundtracks...

That soundtrack is one of the reasons I don't watch the Academy Awards anymore. In 1995 James Horner was up for best original soundtrack for Braveheart and Apollo 13. I thought

Braveheart was superior...but it was the first time I saw an award given without an envelope. A women came out and whispered in the ear of the presenter and someone else got the

award. I was really angry as I loved that score...and Apollo 13. I know...what does this have to do with my work...well Braveheart worked very well with your show. Glad to see

and hear that you have great taste.

Two questions...what time of day was it that you got the two or so shots in Bryce that appeared to glow...cliff shots that seemed to radiate from within? Did you give it a little extra, or was

it the time of day? Haven't been there in 20 years...it is just far enough away that I get caught up in all the other wonderful scenery that we have close at hand. It is on my short

list now...now that time is short.

Was that the Navajo Twins...and was one of the Shooters in one shot? Ok...that is more than two questions...and I have one more...

Who are the two handsome people in your forum photo? I just read your bio and you took photos before I was born and I am as old as dirt....is that you and are you that well preserved?

Great show Lin...I like slow pans and slow movement and slow dissolves. This is multimedia and I think you have the hang of it. I especially liked the last shot and sentiment. Good going

and many more...

Jeff Lunt

Beautiful photos, Lin, and the music was well chosen. The Bryce Canyon photos were spectacular. You seemed to have caught just the right light. My only negative comment would be that as someone who has visited these areas many times (I live in northern Arizona), I found it a bit disconcerting jumping back and forth between Monument Valley and Bryce.

I agree with your comments about Monument Valley. I have gone into the back country on some week-long horseback trips and it is so much more pleasant not to have to deal with what we called the "shake-and-bake" tour trucks.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! Yes - I completely agree - the Braveheart soundtrack is exceptional and works well with these types of images. It's a shame that it was upstaged by Apollo 13 but you know how politics are and even in the movie industry apparently....

It's been my experience that there are actually three times during the day when the awesome colors are present: just after sunrise, just at sunset and, as strange as it sounds, pretty near high noon depending on your position and the exact area in the canyon you are shooting. The best ones for me on this trip were from Sunset Point and those two were taken at sunrise and noon. In only a few seconds the colors can go from incredible to mundane and you just have to be ready and "wait for it" to catch it right. Some of my captures were very "flat" and uninteresting, but those few which were timed just right are worth the waiting. I was chatting with another photographer standing down the trail at Sunset Point where there is a "window" opening through the rocks with a protective metal barrier and an incredible view of some of the Hodoos. It was near sundown and I had given up on getting anything spectacular at that point. A young friend of the other photographer was standing in the window with a little digicam - just one of the many 12 megapixel point and shoots and while we were talking the young man was all excited and showed us what he had captured. It was absolutely beautiful. He said it was there and gone in about five seconds! By the time we looked - everything was flat and normal, but for that brief few seconds, it was incredible. I wish I had planned another day because I would have liked to try to duplicate the timing.

The two people in the bio picture are me and my late wife Sherry and that one was taken by a friend in 1977. Sherry passed away with brain cancer three days after her 53rd birthday. I know you are a cancer survivor and I hope it's under control. Damned thing just takes too many way before their time. I'm 70 and here's a snapshot made by Sherry about six months before she died:

lin.jpg

Indeed that is the "Twins" at Bluff, Utah.

I'm not sure on the "shooter." - I'm certain we share the same sentiments about many things! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your great shows and maybe soon one from Bryce!

Best regards,

Lin

Dear Lin...

I didn't know your wonderful partner died. I remember when you were not posting as she was ill, but I didn't know the end result and didn't feel it was my place to ask. She sure knew how to take a photo of her man. I know this is way late...but all the best to you...and keep on posting.

Jeff

Hi Mary,

Thanks! Actually, the show encompassed photos from Bryce, Zion, Devil's Backbone, Monument Valley, Red Canyon and the Navajo "Twins" at Bluff, Utah. It was more of a tour of that part of the SW than a show about Monument Valley or Bryce.

Yes, the tour truck have become a real downer for me over the years. When I first shot in Monument Valley back in the early 50's things were much different, and over the years it's become more and more commercial.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Great show with fantastic images. My wife and I travel a lot, mostly in Asia but also in Europe and Africa. We keep saying that we will travel in the U.S. (where we live) when we are older :rolleyes: . Seeing your show, and being 70 next year is an inspiration to start planning a trip to the South West sometime soon.

Thanks for showing

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks!

I hope you guys get the chance to tour the southwest U.S. - there are some beautiful sights to see. Be sure to include Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Moab (Arches National Park) and the Grand Canyon - all terrific and inspiring places.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, simply sublime... I watched it twice and I must admit that I rarely do that ;-) Bryce is my favourite, it takes my breathe away both literally and metaphorically (at 10,000 feet a half hour walk down means more than a one hour walk back up!)

If I may offer some feedback on the photography, there is one image of the structures in Monument Valley that has really blue shadows, instead of black. Otherwise, everything was perfect to my eye ;-) Great show and I will be showing this Av to the folk at my camera club. Wonderful work, well done!

lmv1.jpgHi Mark,

Thanks for watching! The area is one big photo opportunity ... I was using three different cameras off and on so probably could have done some post processing, but essentially just snapshots for testing. Since I live fairly close (just a day's drive) I get there every couple years or so - have been going since 1946 and taking photos there since 1952.

Here's a couple my wife snapped of me outside Monument Valley in 1975 with her little Kodak purse camera...

Best regards,

Lin

lmv2.jpg

Lin, simply sublime... I watched it twice and I must admit that I rarely do that ;-) Bryce is my favourite, it takes my breathe away both literally and metaphorically (at 10,000 feet a half hour walk down means more than a one hour walk back up!)

If I may offer some feedback on the photography, there is one image of the structures in Monument Valley that has really blue shadows, instead of black. Otherwise, everything was perfect to my eye ;-) Great show and I will be showing this Av to the folk at my camera club. Wonderful work, well done!

Thanks Davy,

It was nice to get away for a few days with my dog and enjoy the beautiful country...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Have been busy with AVs,(but not for this forum) so a bit behind with whats been happening here.

This is a pretty cool AV. Images and soundtrack sit well together.

Well done,

Davy