WnSoft Forums

2013 - The year for 60 fps web video

tom95521

My prediction for 2013.

The primary advantage that PTE applications have that most web videos do not play at 60 fps. It can see a big difference in quality. Very smooth with no stepping motion at 60 fps. YouTube and Vimeo presently do not support 60 fps video. Probably due to 1.5x average network traffic and file sizes compared to 30 fps.

Red camera has a great article that shows the difference in quality.

Red HFR

Another comparison of fps.

FramesPerSecond

Most new digital cameras can do 720p at 60 fps and many can do 1080p at 60 fps. 60 fps is common on Android mobile devices running Jelly Bean 4.2. HDMI can handle 1080p at 60 fps.

HDMI specifications

Right now the only inexpensive method to play 60 fps web videos is to use your own hosting site and a web player such as jwplayer. There may be a video hosting site I am not aware of that allows 60 fps. I will try and make a comparison web page using jwplayer.

Thanks,

Tom

OK, so for the uninitiated:

I have a little Nikon that records at 240fps, 120fps, 60fps, 30fps and 15 fps.

No matter which one I choose, playback is always at 30fps (or thereabouts). The primary purpose of these choices seems to be to slow down the motion or (in the case of 15fps) to speed it up.

Tom, you are saying that certain players will play video recorded at 60fps at that framerate?

At present PTE plays my 60fps video (OOC) at the normal 30~fps giving me a slowed down "slo mo" appearance.

So, forget about web video for the moment - if I take some 60fps video what am I likely to have which will play it at 60fps and not slow the motion down?

......and does a player capable of 60fps also cater for playing at 30fps??

......or does the little Nikon take the video at 60fps etc and output it at 30fps??

DG

You must be able to create a file with your Nikon that has a frame rate of 59.94 fps. PTE will not change the fps during import.

Tom,

If you look at the sample I gave you you will see that the Frame Rate is given as 29.7fps although it was shot at 60fps. It is SOOC so it has not been converted by anything (other than the camera). It is also MOV H.264.

There is no option for ouputting from the camera at 60fps - just for shooting. Same goes for the 120fps and 240fps options.

So if I want slo mo I just shoot at 60, 120 or 240fps and import straight into PTE. Speeding up (shooting at 15fps) is the same.

So, leaving quality issues aside, it does pretty much what anyone would want of a video in terms of captured speed variation. The down side is that it does not do it at 1080 high throughout.

Post capture speed variation is a job for software.

DG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Does the lavender square move smoothly on your system? On mine the movement is pretty jerky regardless of 30 or 60 fps... That's one of the reasons I went to XVID Mpeg which supports 60p. XVID is the only video I've been able to get smooth movement from on my Samsung 40" LED Television. MP4 h.264 just isn't smooth for me. On the other hand, David seems to have better quality results with MP4 h.264. I'm perplexed as to why the differences...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom,

It's not on my PC where Xvid is much smoother, it's on my 40" Samsung Television. My card supports PureVideo and hardware acceleration is enabled but the violet colored box motion is jerky on both the 30 and 60 fps sample.

Best regards,

Lin