WnSoft Forums

Out of memory? [SOLVED]

stonemason

I'm getting far to many out of memory errors when running slideshows created with version 7.5. All these slideshows (about 50 of them) have had the exe files recreated in 7.5, using the PTE files that worked OK in version 7.07. I run my slideshows from a menu system using "run slideshow with return" so they all have to be created using the same version. I had no problems at all with 7.07, but 7.5.3 has me tearing out what little hair I have left. Is this problem unique to me or are others experiencing the same sort of problems. In the mean time it's back to 7.07 for me.

Geoff

............ In the mean time it's back to 7.07 for me.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

With respect to you that is surely unfair to Igor?

If there is a problem (which I am not seeing) then we need to give Igor all of the info necessary to cure the problem.

I have run around 8-10 shows this way from a menu and haven't seen the problem. How about reducing the number of shows (as a trial) to see if that is what is causing it and build up from there?

DG

Hi Davegee and Ken

With about 50 shows, containing some 2500 images, and the errors being completely random and a show to do on Tuesday, I'm afraid I had to take the shortest route. After removing 7.5 and reinstalling 7.07, I went through the whole conversion process again (my backups were created using 7.05) the converted files run smoothly from the menu system, with no errors at all. Of course when Igor returns from his break I will do all I can to assist in finding this bug be it in 7.5 or just on my system. The new features, and interface changes in 7.5 are excellent so it is very much in my interest to get the problem solved.

Just for information the menu is a three page system with links to 18 shows per page, and then additional links to move between pages. I have run this system for several years now without any problems. The slideshows average about 50mb each and contain between 30 - 40 images per show.

Geoff

Geoff,

I apologize for this problem!

1. Please can you try to re-create this problem (out of memory) with as possible less number of shows?

For example, you can see this problem by running a menu show and then call one or two certain executable AV shows.

2. Please can I ask you pack these EXE files to a ZIP archive and send it to me? With instruction how to reproduce the problem. It will greatly help me understand the situation and fix the problem.

3. Also describe shortly a configuration of you PC: version of Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit, CPU, memory size, video card and screen resolution.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Igor, I hope you had a good break.

I have tried to replicate this problem, and isolate it to a certain show/shows but it is very random in nature and a show that gives an error will run OK next time. The reverse is also true in that sometimes a show that runs OK will give the out of memory problem the next time it's run. It would seem that the greatest percentage of errors show when pressing the escape key during the show to return to the menu. The complete menu and all the shows is 2.48gb of files, so sending them all to you doesn't seem practical, unless I can ftp them in some way.

My system details are

Windows 7 64bit

Intel core 2quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz 2.5GHz cpu

4gb Ram

Nvidia GeForce 220 with 1gb DDR SDRAM graphics

1920 x 1080 monitor resolution.

Although my monitor is 1920 x 1080 I create my slideshows at an aspect ratio of 16 x 10 as that is the aspect ratio on my laptop where they will ultimately be run for projection.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for details!

1. Please send me a menu show (EXE) and any AV show (EXE) where could observe at least once this problem.

2. When exactly this problem occurs? When you click to run a AV show from menu or later?

3. Can you reproduce this problem without menu?

It will help me better understand the problem. Recently we had a similar problem reported on the forum. I'll try find and fix this unpleasant situation.

Igor I have sent you a PM with dropbox links.

I have not been able to replicate the error on single slideshows, so my suspicion is that the error is being caused by the "Run slideshow with return" function.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Igor

I'm afraid it's a very random thing which seem to occur when the slideshow either starts from a click on the menu link or when it completes (or escape is pressed) and it attempts to return to the menu, which leads me to suspect something in the "Run slideshow with return" function. I'm sorry I can't pin it down better than that for you but it is very unpredictable.

Geoff

Igor

looking again at that error code has me even more puzzled. The slide show Opening Page. exe flagged in the error message should not be running at any time while the menu pages are on the screen or other slideshows running. Opening Page.exe is only run from the menu page when the exit button is clicked.This enables me then to shutdown the projector without the audience ever seeing the computer desktop.

Geoff

Thanks Igor I ran the task manager, and there was nothing there to suggest any problem, around 2% to 5% maximum CPU useage even when the error occurred, and still showing about 60% available physical Ram. I'm glad I could help in some small way.

Regards

Geoff

Igor

I converted all my slideshows using the test version, then ran the three page menu system with all 50 shows. I did lots of menu switching and short runs of slideshows pressing esc to return to the menu, also ran several shows for their full length and allowed them to finish and return to the menu. They all worked perfectly, no sign of the "out of memory" message, and flawless performance under conditions that would never be encountered under normal circumstances, (lots of forced starting and stopping).

Once again many thanks for your excellent support, and persistence in tracking down a problem that must have been difficult considering it's random nature, and the vague information I was able to supply you.

Regards

Geoff