WnSoft Forums

Saving thumbnails cache in project file

I didn't find such feature so i suppose it's worth a suggestion.

The project i'm currently working on is composed by hundreds of complex slides, some of them group 10-20 png files at high resolution (i don't mind the runtime performance because i go out to full hp mp4 file). But each time i load the project it's a pain because it takes a minute an so to load all thumbnails in the time line. The program is very unresponsive until all thumbnails are produced.

I know that it's possible to uncheck "show real slides" in the system pane, but if i do so nothing appears in the thumbnail, and this leads to high difficulty in finding the right slide.

What about computing this thumbnail and save it into che project file? This should not take too much additional space. This will lead to lightning fast loading times. Maybe as an option, and if this option is checked and the project doesn't contain updated thumbnails, well, they are computed ad load time.

I know that the thumbnail could not reflect the real image content if they are updated out of pte, but i can live with this issue if i can enter the O&A editor and exit it to refresh the thumbnail.

Greetings! Umberto Uderzo

I,too, would like to see something along these lines. Although I do not usually build sequences with a great number of slides or with extremely complicated slides, I am doing one such at present. It has nearly 200 slides (1920x1080) and takes a significant length of time to build the thumbnails that are to be displayed along the Slide List, on the "digital lightbox" (Fullscreen mode of Slides view) or in the Timeline view.

regards,

Peter

MAYBE TRY THIS

http://www.techrepub...-xp-pro/5164407

OR

http://tweaks.com/wi...-xp-icon-cache/

there are lots of hit's on google [ win xp icon cache]

in the old days win 95 era i would have to increase the cache quite often as i like icons -- win 7 limits my use (

i have a full selection of icons for xp - used to be able to download specific icon groups for early versions of windows

win 7 possible fix

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1023697-win-7-desktop-icons-slow.html

ken

The location of the Cache Folder needs to be determined by the user (i.e. NOT C Drive).

DG

Dave, i meant to save the thumbnails in the project file itself, so it's all self-contained.

I suppose that P2E does keep all thumbnails in RAM while working, so no need of an external folder.

Maybe my use of the word "cache" was misleading.

Greetings! Umberto

Hi Umberto,

In principle, this is a very good idea. Maybe that the project file (ASCII) is not the correct position, what about a data base file in the project folder?

Regards,

Xaver

I agree. I really was not aware of that detail. And when that file is missing it is automatically rebuilt. This would keep untouched the project file structure.

Greets! Umberto

P.S. Anyway, when i need to add a binary content to a text file i usually add a the zipped content in base64 encoding. But again, it's not so elegant...

Edit: I wonder what would happen when i keep in the same folder different "save" copies of the project and decide to rollback to a previous one. Will the external cache file still work?

Thanks. This idea in my TODO list for next version(s).

However caching of thumbnails will not in certain cases.

If you change slide duration or transition effect duration, or change objects on a slide, thumbnail will be re-created. Also when you adjust size of Slide list and it changes size of thumbnails they also will be re-created again.

Thanks. This idea in my TODO list for next version(s).

However caching of thumbnails will not in certain cases.

If you change slide duration or transition effect duration, or change objects on a slide, thumbnail will be re-created. Also when you adjust size of Slide list and it changes size of thumbnails they also will be re-created again.

Igor, that sounds good to me.

I usually load the project and go to a specific point and start working on it. So i usually don't alter timigs, fades and so on of every slide. Hence, the behavior you described is ok and reasonable. Moreover, if i adjust a slide parameter i can accept the rebuild time because it's on a single slide and not noticeable to me. The annoyance starts when at every load it recomputes everything.

Greetings! Umberto

But each time i load the project it's a pain because it takes a minute an so to load all thumbnails in the time line. ...What about computing this thumbnail and save it into che project file?

You are right Umberto.

I encountered the same problem in the ongoing development of a new software ISYS.

For example, with heavy images in TIFF format.

I solved it as you say.

post-1832-0-27558100-1358953133_thumb.jp

The first time an original image is read, I create the thumbnail stored in a subfolder (Thumbnail) of the project (here Gnou).

At the end of a session if an image has been removed it is also deleted from the subfolder Thumbnail.

The value of the width of the thumbnail 400 is defined as an option. In this example the weight of the image is only 415 kilobytes although written in BMP format for the best result when the the image is stretched.

post-1832-0-03587000-1358952900_thumb.jp

PS: This software is an aid to achieving a slide show. It brings together and save before the construction itself all the elements, images, sounds, videos, texts, dialogues classified in their respective scenes. The english language version is not yet finalized.

[edit]kilobytes and not bytes

Igor,

For a long time I was not involved here. Above all thank you for the quality of PTE that 's constantly improving.

Thumbnails: I think that storing them in a reasonable size as in my example (400), it will be unnecessary to read the original image when duration or slide list change.