WnSoft Forums

Virtual size of slide?

stonemason

I make my slideshows using an aspect ratio of 16:10. In project options this sets a default virtual size of slide of 1280x800. I actually use an image size of 1728 x 1080 so my question is should I leave "virtual size of slide" to the 1280 x 800 default or set it to the actual slide size of 1728 x 1080 ?

Geoff

Geoff,

Have a read of pages 24 and 44 of the User Guide (access via Help command).

PGA

Hi PGA

I'd already done that thanks, I'm looking more for people's observations/experiences and wondered what, if any benifits they'd found in setting the value to actual slide size.

Geoff

Geoff,

I have always used Monitor Size as my deciding factor.

I have a 1920x1200 monitor but 90% of projects are 1920x1080.

By setting 1920x1080 and ticking Fixed Size of Slide I have always assumed it to be true that, when viewed on other monitors my projects would fit to screen on smaller monitors but would effectively appear as a "Window" on larger monitors.

By using 1280x800 as your Project Size and using your larger images you are allowing for around 135% zoom without loss of quality (actual pixels) wheras if you set 1728x1080 as your project size any zooming would involve interpolation of those pixels.

Maybe you could expand your thoughts a little, but I do not see what you have to gain by setting a 1728x1080 project on a 1280x800 monitor.

I could see a little more sense in trying to reproduce full HD 1920x1080 on a 1280x800 monitor and using e.g. 3840x2160 images?

DG

Barry

I use 16:10 as that's the aspect ratio of my laptop on which the slideshows run for projection. However the shows are also shown on a monitor and a TV both of which are 16:9 and not wanting to make different formats of the same show, I am happy to live with black bands either side when viewing at 16:9. The reason for choosing 1728 x 1080 is that 1080 is the maximum they are shown at so I didn't see any advantage in making them bigger. Having said that if I intend to zoom an image I save it at double that resolution.

DG

I think my comments above cover most of the points you raise.

Thanks both for your input.

Geoff

Geoff

What was in my mind when I answerd were the thoughts I had when I moved from the old style monitor to a new large widescreen one. Suddenly all my old shows that looked so good at 1024 pixels now looked puny and I regretted staying with 1024 for so long. I am not saying 1728 pixels is quite in that same league as 1024, but if you have chosen 16:10, make the shows 1920*1200 because it will make little or no difference to you now, but if you ever move up to a higher resolution monitor and that is almost a certaintly at some stage, your shows will still fill the screen. Well, apart from the black bars if a 16:9 screen is used

Hi Barry

Thanks for the advise, and on reflection I will go with the 1920 x 1200 size you suggest, as you say this will future proof my slideshows, as much as we are able in this fast changing world of technology.

Best regards

Geoff

The following are meant to give information and not to provide an argument:

post-2488-0-22325700-1360060545_thumb.jp

post-2488-0-04282300-1360060577_thumb.jp

DG

P.S. IMHO (and it is just an opinion) 1920x1200 is already outdated. I have stated elsewhere that although my present monitor is 1920x1200 and I have no reason to change it, when the need arises I will choose 1920x1080 next time. This is providing that, by the time I get around to changing it, TVs and Projectors have not already moved on to an established higher resolution (than 1920x1080).

All of the above is IMHO and not argumentative.

Well, personally the last two slide shows I made. Hot in the City and Schools our Surfs Up were made at 2560*1440, but I appreciate that some are not keen on the 16:9 format and as AV is all about presentation we all have to like what we do ourselves.

My advice re slide show format is 16:9, but I respect those who are not so keen on that shape, I wasn't myself once, but I have grown into it and seen the inevitablity of it. :rolleyes:/>

On the rare occasion when I have an image framed in such a way that a 16:9 crop will not work well. (cutting off bits of the top/bottom) I distort the image a little and so far not one person has ever noticed. :lol:/>