WnSoft Forums

London 2012

rmstevens

Roger

This is a personal view, but with the new found honesty within the forum perhaps I can risk making it :lol:/> I can't help wondering Why? We have a terrific software program and a forum packed with enthusiasts. The best way to view a slide show is as an exe file, so why direct me to YouTube. Post your exe here and I would be very pleased to view your show, but as soon as I see a link to YouTube I lose interest. Audio Visual is ALL about presentation and the beauty of still image AV it the great image quality we can view. I wonder why we skimp on that part when we don't have to.

We do have Beechbrook to post shows, but it is hidden away almost like a secret society. Its not something you would stumble onto easily as a new forum member.

The trouble with YouTube, for those of use who live outside the city and have lousy internet connections, is that it's only watchable between 1am and 8am. The rest of the day it runs for 10 seconds and then you wait 10 or more seconds whilst it buffers and it stutters on again for awhile before stopping to buffer again. Complete waste of time. I have nothing against video, in fact I'm quite a fan, but I agree with Barry YouTube is not the way to distribute pte productions.

Neil

Guest Yachtsman1

The trouble with YouTube, for those of use who live outside the city and have lousy internet connections, is that it's only watchable between 1am and 8am. The rest of the day it runs for 10 seconds and then you wait 10 or more seconds whilst it buffers and it stutters on again for awhile before stopping to buffer again. Complete waste of time. I have nothing against video, in fact I'm quite a fan, but I agree with Barry YouTube is not the way to distribute pte productions.

Neil

Why not download the file, no problem with buffering then, alternatively, run it through a second time, there should be no buffering B)/>

Yachtsman1.

Well I have tried running through a second time but that doesn't seem to work for me, it just starts over again from scratch and repeats all the stops and starts that were in the first run through. Perhaps there is a trick to it. (A second run through does work for me on Vimeo but never on YouTube) As for downloading, doesn't that require another bit of software to add to the many many rarely used programmes already on my computer, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that it did.

My point is that there are plenty of places to upload to, from which we can download the original file. No corruption of the quality, no stuttering and buffering, and once the download has started who cares if it takes 5 mins or 5 hours, it eventually arrives and it's watchable.

It would be nice to say that I enjoyed the London 2012, but when it stopped for the third time I shut it down. Sorry to say I dont have the patience.

Neil

For all members who have problems watching You tube videos there is an easily available remedy (modest cost), this is Internet Download Manager produced by Tonec inc. I have a feeling that it is PC only but I may be wrong.

Once installed it will deal with all downloads.

With You tube all you have to is select the resolution I always go for 1080 if its available, hit the play button. A small window will pop-up usually just above the video window, (if not check at the top right area of your your monitor) saying "download this video" click this and voila.

The video file will now be in your downloads folder sub folder videos. Also works with files from Mediafire , Beechbrook et al.

Hope this helps.

Regards

John

Personally I don't feel inclined to download a program just to watch a slide show. One of the strengths of PTE is we don't need anything installed to run a slide show. It's a pretty simple matter to provide a link via one of the many free services and then we get to see your show as you intended, not degraded via a video.

If there is no other option then a video is OKish, but there are options, loads of em!

Guest Yachtsman1

I use both YouTube & Mediafire. If I think my show will hold up on YouTube without too much degredation, I will upload it there. In some cases to both Mediafire & YouTube. I always add PTE tags to the Youtube uploads which is only good for PTE. Someday someone may upload a PTE show on there & it will go global, remember Gangnam Style?, over a billion hits!!!

As for downloading from YouTube, I use a free programme YOU TUBE downloader, if I see something I might want to include in a show, I will download it at the best quality I can. Youtube is also a good source of music, if it's on a video it can be stripped off and used in your show as an MP3, so even if you think the pictures are rubbish you could use the music or sounds. YouTube is there to stay, why not use it??? :blink:/>/>/>

Yachtsman1

PS Sorry RMS for hijacking your thread, maybe a moderator could move the unrelated posts to a new thread headed say Youtube Downloads???

Yachtsman1

Hi Roger, A first class show which deserved to do well in the competition and also desevered the wider airing on Youtube. Youtube certainly is much better than it used to be and does not now seem to alter the aspect ratio but agree an PTE .exe file is still the best.

I had a long journey today towing our caravan North up the Australian Coast, so as I sat here tonight a little tired I watched the show on you tube. I have only a mobile stick for the internet while travelling so I only saw a picture about 3 inches by 2 inches, but what I saw made me wish even more that I could have seen it as the group created it. It looked and sounded extremely good.

You Tube to get to a wider audience maybe, but amongst AV enthusiats on the PTE forum you should post an exe, even if it's only to please me :lol:/>/>

PS. 2 of the 10 bus garages I managed while working on London's Buses were due to be closed and moved to make way for the Olympic Stadium. They were Stratford and Waterden Road. Luckily I had retired just before all that hassle, but I expect it would be interesting to see the area now. To walk around what was old derilict streets. Might get the chance in 2014 perhaps

Good show and very different and refreshing to what is generally seen, just small :rolleyes:/>/>

Neil

What he said!!!

Many thanks for those who have taken the trouble to give comments on my sequence

– Gayland, Phil, Barry, MickP, Tom, NeilJ and Maureen. I have passed your kind

words onto the club members involved.

Until this topic, I was unaware that you can download from YouTube. After some

investigation I found how. I use Firefox to access the internet. Clicking on its

Add-ons and putting “YouTube” in its search engine, many YouTube downloaders were

available. After using one of these I now get an additional button to download

whenever in YouTube

Barry B asks “Why?” The reason I have not made it publicly available on servers is

that it contains copyright music and to do so would be illegal. However with YouTube

I have an IAC licence that allows this also music publishers permit it providing

they can use adverts with it.

Regards, Roger

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Roger

I am an avid user of YouTube, not just to upload my stuff but download for use in some of my shows. Regarding you comments about copyright, I would re-read the conditions on the IAC & YouTube sites regarding copyright, I don't believe the IAC licence absolves you from all the pitfalls of using copyright music. The whole scenario is a minefield for the unwary. For instance the licence doesn't cover for someone downloading outside the UK. In the last six months I have been gathering a collection of non copyright music & where possible using it without any flags on YouTube. One of the better producers Kevin Macleod offers lots of copyfree tracks for free, just provide a credit on your work. One of the sites offering his work is

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/ I know there is no substitute for popular copyright free music, but if more people used copyright free stuff for AV maybe the message may (we live in hope) eventually get through.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Quote from the IAC website - “A MCPS licensee permits .... for inclusion, as clips

and short videos, in YouTube - provided there is no financial gain and no commercial

advertising is attached. Such clips may be "embedded" in IAC and club websites so

long as they are hosted by YouTube”

An important part of the AV was the use of music created for the Games.

Regards, Roger

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Roger

I could almost repeat verbatim what is on the IAC website, however, that does not prevent someone downloading your work & using it as they wish. Suggest you check out what Youtube say. I would re-produce it here but the new forum rules request keeping posts short.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

As this is a relatively important matter, I have reproduced the statement from YouTube I was referring to.

If you plan to use even a small portion of copyrighted material, we'd strongly advise you to take legal advice first. YouTube cannot make determinations of fair use.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your advice. The sequence has now been removed.

Regards, Roger

Hi Roger

There is an alternative to removing it. You could make it private, only downloadable by request & on consideration that the person you are allowing to download it complies with any conditions you set in writing. Following an incident, I made all my YouTube uploads private. The conditions being for downloading are that the downloader is registered with YouTube & whatever personal conditions you may set.

I recently removed all my privacy settings apart from one that was flagged as "Matched Third Party Content" by YT. I have allowed a number of forum members who I have known for some time, and trust to download the previously locked shows. I know it's a pain in the but, but I can sleep at night.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.