WnSoft Forums

Installation of PicturesToExe. Question [SOLVED]

Igor

Hello,

Several members wrote me that they observe a significant delay when they install PicturesToExe. It happened when they run "picturestoexe-setup.exe" file.

Probably this problem related with antivirus software.

If you experience this problem, please let me know:

1. Did you have this problem with any version/update of 7.5?

2. Download these two files:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup_signed.exe

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup_unsigned.exe

Then open a folder with downloaded files in Windows Explorer and try to run first file, then another file.

Do you have a delay with launching of these files?

3. Version of Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit, antivirus software.

4. Web browser.

Hi Igor,

I cannot recall when I first noticed the problem. It may have been as far back as v7.0 or it might not have been until v7.5. I did not have the problem on Windows XP or Vista nor did I have it at first on Windows 7.

I get the problem on my current desktop system running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. My anti-virus software is Microsoft Security Essentials (fully updated to definiton level 1.147.1816.0 at 06:26 today). My browser is Firefox 20.0.1.

When I click on either of those two links, the download begins, then MSE scans the downloaded file for viruses, then I am told by Firefox that the file is ready in the download folder. At this point I then copied the files to a different folder (doing the signed one first and then the unsigned one - two separate copy operations). The signed one sat with the "Copying" pop-up window displayed and a line of text under the green progress bar in that window stating "Discovering items". It remained like that for perhaps 5-10 seconds and then completed the copy. The unsigned one then copied in 2-3 seconds, briefly showing the "Discovering items" text as it did so.

I then tried "Cut and Paste" from the download folder to a different target folder - signed copy first, unsigned copy second. This time the signed copy sat showing "Discovering items" for well over 30 seconds and possibly nearer to 45 seconds (I don't have a stop-watch). The unsigned copy shot through quicker than before.

I then "Cut and pasted" both files back to the download folder. There was no delay at all and no sign of the "Discovering items" text or green progress bar for either of them. I repeated the above actions. All copies/moves completed with no sign of the "Discovering items" text and with no delay. Having done the copies/moves once it would seem that the problem cannot now be recreated. It would seem that my system has "learned" something about these two files and now accepts them as being just like any other data file.

I have a suspicion that the only way to re-create the problem with those two files will be to delete all copies, run cleaner software on the disk and the registry and re-boot the PC and start all over again. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to sit at the computer and do that amount of diagnosis for you.

regards,

Peter

Hello,

Several members wrote me that they observe a significant delay when they install PicturesToExe. It happened when they run "picturestoexe-setup.exe" file.

http://www.wnsoft.co...etup_signed.exe

http://www.wnsoft.co...up_unsigned.exe

Then open a folder with downloaded files in Windows Explorer and try to run first file, then another file.

4. Web browser.

==================================

Igor,

I am sure that I have had 'delay' problems in the install process in the past, for a good while. When I went to install the program, I thought there was a problem but I learned to wait for it to pop-up and start the install.

However, I just tried your two files and had no delays at all in downloading or starting the install process. I started the install process on each but cancelled in the middle.

-I have Windows/32bit; MSE.

-Firefox 20.02

Gary

Igor

Can't recall when this first started and I assumed it was something on my PC at the time.

On double click, the signed sample you sent took just over 1.5 minutes to bring the Open File - Security Warnig Window on screen to proceed

On a double click, the unsigned one opens the same window Instantly

Windows 7 - 64 bit with Microsoft Security Essentails

Web Browser Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.13421

Hello,

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup_signed.exe

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup_unsigned.exe

4. Web browser.

Hello Igor,

I tried your two test programs, and found no difference at all in loading from the setup file, each taking 14 seconds (timed)to install up to the 'finish' screen. Launching from the finish screen was less than 1 second. Repeating the install in case MSE 'learned'the program

gave the same times.

Computer is a Dell 1520 laptop, Intel Centrino Duo-core cpu at 1.8 MHz, 3 GB of ram, running XP SP3 32-bit with MSE active and up to date.

Regards,

Colin

Igor,

Openining the signed download took just on a minute to open the "Open File" dialogue. The unsigned download opened the "Open Dialogue" screen almost immediately.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Microsoft Security Essentails. Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64 m

Regards,

Paul

Igor,

Whatever you have changed seems to have solved the problems I was having doing Copy or Cut&Paste of the downloaded file to a different folder. There is now just a brief flash of the "Discovering items" text before the operation completes. This I regard as perfectly normal behaviour. Thanks for the quick solution to this problem.

regards,

Peter

When I removed a digital signature it didn't solve the problem.

I think it's a problem of Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus.

===========================

Igor,

When I recently installed ver. 7.5.8, I did not have any delay in the install process. It started right away. I just re-ran the install just until it indicated the path, when I stopped it. No delay. I have MSE. Can there be any difference in what the 7.5.8 version does compared to the earlier ones? I don't see anyone else that has installed 7.5.8. Just wondering....

Gary

Igor,

This might help you ~ You may not be aware that there is a "Conflict of interests" between Microsoft and the Mozilla-Foundation

in that certain Browser-settings of:- Internet-Explorer 8 ,9,10 are in conflict with Firefox 19, 20 Browsers.....and this has been

going on for the past few weeks.

EXAMPLES:

(1)

You can no longer use "Firefox 20" to download and install certain Microsoft-updates such as updates for MS Security-Essentials.

You will get an unexplained "Failed-Notice".......But when you use IE-Explorer 7,8,9 all things work perfectly !!

(2)

You can not install certain other "Microsoft-updates" and "Service-Paks" having downloaded them from the "Firefox-Browser".

(3)

If anyone downloads or updates their Browser to IE-8 ~ IE-9 ~ IE-10......This will immobilise certain function's of their existing

"Firefox-Browser" and effectively bring it to its knee's as certain "Firefox" files are erased.....that happened here last Saturday.

4)

When using the above mentioned "Microsoft IE-Browsers" IE-7, 8, 9 we found that at least 1 in 8 Web-Pages were slow to open

and at least 2 in 15 failed to open at all ~ we dont know why ~ and we tried our 6-PC's on different ISP-Providers and its not that.

But for certain there is something going on between Microsoft ~v~ Mozilla.

Microsoft do offer a solution to these problems provided you have one of their Browsers open on your Desktop where after you

have to select "Tools"-->Internet Options-->Advanced Tab-->drill down to-->Security and change certain settings within that List.

However messing around with the 'Security-options" can lead to other major problems....(You need to Google this problem).

Brian (Conflow)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...