WnSoft Forums

PTE

Barry Beckham

Igor

Are you able to give Mac users any update on when a Mac version of PTE may be available? I still get emails asking me about this and received the latest today, but I don't really know what to say to them?

Any update would be helpful. I think it was around 2010 that it first started to be discussed

Ron

Can't do that !!! What actually suggest that their precious Mac be soiled by disgusting PC software. Oh dear some Mac users would have a hissy fit at the very thought. :rolleyes:/>

I am joking of course and I have already suggested that, but not every Mac users wants to do that.

I know just what you mean!

I was once of those PC diehards and still like to use it on my laptop. However, I never regretted getting an iMac because of its stability and quality (it just works)

PTE installs and runs easily on Windows 8 and I now create all my slide shows on the MAC.

I know just what you mean!

I was once of those PC diehards and still like to use it on my laptop. However, I never regretted getting an iMac because of its stability and quality (it just works)

PTE installs and runs easily on Windows 8 and I now create all my slide shows on the MAC.

Hello Ron,

In defence of my PC I have to say that it, too, 'just works'. Windows on both of my machines is rock stable, and quality in terms of the display is more than adequate - but they are both hardware calibrated.

Last night at our camera club a member was set to show a Powerpoint presentation with his Macbook through our Dell DLP projector. The mac insisted on pulling an image out from some folder and showing that on the screen, while the mac's screen showed the Powerpoint start screen. Several mac owners tried to help, to no avail. End result, his Powerpoint show was abandoned.

What really rubbed the salt in for the poor bloke was that the next item was some competition images shown from the club's Dell PC laptop. Plugged the projector into the Dell lappy's vid port, turned on, picture came up, perfect.

Seriously, There are a number of club members with mac laptops, and more than once there have been problems with connecting to the projector, giving rise to somewhat veiled comments about the projector not being right. Of course it can't be the projector, it just shows what it is given. It is a problem for the mac users to solve.

Regards,

Colin

I have just come back from a simple job of copying some images from a Mac to a USB Stick or portable drive for a memorial sequence. I assumed (wrongly as it happens) that with my experience of computers it couldn't be difficult, but I gave up in the end and wrote the images to a disk. Even that didn't pop out on completion, I had to find out how to eject it. The Mac could see and read the files on the stick and the Drive, but would not let me copy those Jpegs to them.

Now I am sure that is all down to user error and my inexperience with a Mac, but how difficult should it be to copy a few Jpeg files for someone who is computer literate, well I thought I was.

A lady recently joined a Camera Club and wanted advice. Told by the resident Mac user that this is what she must have, she buys the Mac. Then she finds out it's only her and Mr Mac who owns one (and he actually knows diddly squat) Every time she turns to a club member for some technical help, they can't help because she is out of step with everyone else. A computer is just a tool to do a job, no different to a hammer, but it seems that the Mac has taken a place alongside the car in your driveway. It has become bling, a must have toy that you can brag about.

Well, I am not impressed with the name Mac or the bragging. I am impressed by what Mac users produce, so more lets see more output and less Mac talk :rolleyes:/>

Last night at our camera club a member was set to show a Powerpoint presentation with his Macbook through our Dell DLP projector. The mac insisted on pulling an image out from some folder and showing that on the screen, while the mac's screen showed the Powerpoint start screen. Several mac owners tried to help, to no avail. End result, his Powerpoint show was abandoned.

His first mistake was using PowerPoint. Since he has a Mac, he should be using Keynote.

I have just come back from a simple job of copying some images from a Mac to a USB Stick or portable drive for a memorial sequence. I assumed (wrongly as it happens) that with my experience of computers it couldn't be difficult, but I gave up in the end and wrote the images to a disk. Even that didn't pop out on completion, I had to find out how to eject it. The Mac could see and read the files on the stick and the Drive, but would not let me copy those Jpegs to them.

I don't know what you did, but copying files is the same on Mac as it is on Windows.

Either drag from one place to another or copy paste and if you like unix you can do it using a command line.

To eject the USB stick (or any other removable storage), do any of: right click and pick eject, drag the icon to the dock where an eject icon awaits, pick eject from the File menu or use the command-E shortcut

As for Cd burning, that automatically ejects the disc when done, with a neat little sound to let you know its done. I really like that sound.

His first mistake was using PowerPoint. Since he has a Mac, he should be using Keynote.

Hang on a second, does Microsoft not make a MAC version of Powerpoint and does that not suggest that it should work? The problem described was not a Powerpoint problem, surely?

:)/>

DG

Interesting discussion going on here. After years and years of using a PC I got a Macbook Pro laptop. So now portability is the laptop, main machine still the pc. Any problems - none at all - the two machines both do exactly what I want (only a bit differently)!

Crossfade

You make my point for me by being just a bit too quick to begin the defence of the Mac. As I said it was probably all down to my inexperience anyway. I know that. I am just sick and tired of the rant from Mac users who seem to think that they have some superior product. Well, demonstrate that to me in a way that will impress me and make me eat my words is all I am saying. But if you approach me and say Macs just work. Make sure there is nothing pointed and sharp within my reach. :lol:/>/>

Lets take this a few stages further. Lets debate what is best Nikon or Canon, Ford, or Toyota, Vulcans or Clingons.:rolleyes:/>/>

Hang on a second, does Microsoft not make a MAC version of Powerpoint and does that not suggest that it should work? The problem described was not a Powerpoint problem, surely?

they do and it should work, but Powerpoint is awful no matter what the platform.

Keynote is worlds better. Ask anyone who has used both.

You make my point for me by being just a bit too quick to begin the defence of the Mac. As I said it was probably all down to my inexperience anyway. I know that. I am just sick and tired of the rant from Mac users who seem to think that they have some superior product. Well, demonstrate that to me in a way that will impress me and make me eat my words is all I am saying. But if you approach me and say Macs just work. Make sure there is nothing pointed and sharp within my reach. :lol:/>/>/>/>/>

Mac users dont rant that they have a superior product. Thats a figment of your imagination.

Nothing is perfect and there will be glitches no matter what you get.

Those who want to find fault with anything will always find fault.

Look at what it will do, not what it wont do.

Lets take this a few stages further. Lets debate what is best Nikon or Canon, Ford, or Toyota, Vulcans or Clingons.:rolleyes:/>/>/>/>/>

Easy. Nikon, Toyota, Vulcans.

(and its spelled Klingon)

I very regret that we still can't introduce a Mac version of PTE and it took much more time than we expected. Sorry!

Its been over 5 years! What is the cause of the delay?

Tom

In fact you also make my point because it IS the end of the world for some Mac users. Only those who have an inferiority complex that buying and OWNIING a Mac helps them to alleviate. :rolleyes:/>

I made the suggestion a number of times when I have been asked about PTE and Mac, suggesting that many Mac users use software to make the program run on a Mac. I also recall dummies being thrown out of prams on a number of occasions. Mac users who become quite offended when you make that suggestion. Many have this weird and unnatural view of their computer and they are not going to soil their superior product by putting nasty windows software on their machine.

Tuff luck then I say :lol:/>

Guest Yachtsman1

IMO comments like this do nothing to enhance the sales of PTE, just watch a TV programme, whether it's a documentary or a drama, someone using a laptop comes on screen, check the lid of the LT, 99% of the time it has an Apple on it. Most grapics companies use Macs, any artistic type of operation uses Macs, this constant be-littling of Mac users is stupid. I don't use a Mac but I have been in the Apple shop & seen the displays & their quality of graphics. Come on, bullying, which is what this is is out of order. If I had paid a lot of money for a computer I would be disappointed if it had to have a work around to use PTE. Concentrating on obscure development trivialities does not increase sales anywhere near the proportion that making it Mac friendly would do. IGOR IMO.

Yachtsman1. :angry:/>/>/>

On reading the previous threads,I think the initial question had been answered from the start by Igor,

who had to later,repeat his reply.

Whether BBs motive may have been divisive,I can't say. It would not be the first time this has happened.

Subjected to a narrow minded,one man soapbox rant,I can't blame members getting annoyed, especially after

realizing they were being played.

Rant over. :)/>

Davy

Hi

Firstly I will not argue with either Barry or Lin but I can NOT agree with them!!!

At risk upsetting anybody what I will say is that I have been using PTE on both my Macs via Parallels for some time now and have come to the view that I PERSONNALLY believe that the need for a Mac version of PTE has diminished somewhat. I think that perhaps Igor would be better concentrating his limited resources on improving and developing PTE AND MAKING IT MORE USER FRIENDLY without limiting its flexibility for those who feel they need such facilities.

Cheers

John

P.S. Sent from my iPad

Hi Lin

I didn't want to enter the "my daddy's car is faster than you daddy"s" scenario but....

1. I,m quite sure you are correct2. And nobody else does?3. If you say so I'll accept that but what does that prove? There are many who do presumably.

I and presumably others have chosen a particular path which in my case, based on many years of service issues with PC manufacturers their retailers and suppliers all passing the buck, I chose the mac road. This has FOR ME proven to be much less harrowing though, granted in cash probably more expensive in terms of outlay. But only one backside to kick and one which has responded to date admirably.

Cheers

John

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I didn't want to enter the "my daddy's car is faster than you daddy"s" scenario but....

1. I,m quite sure you are correct2. And nobody else does?3. If you say so I'll accept that but what does that prove? There are many who do presumably.

I and presumably others have chosen a particular path which in my case, based on many years of service issues with PC manufacturers their retailers and suppliers all passing the buck, I chose the mac road. This has FOR ME proven to be much less harrowing though, granted in cash probably more expensive in terms of outlay. But only one backside to kick and one which has responded to date admirably.

Cheers

John

Well said sir.

Yachtsman1

they do and it should work, but Powerpoint is awful no matter what the platform.

Keynote is worlds better. Ask anyone who has used both.

But, that is all missing the point. The mac would not show its programs properly on the projector, though it was ok on the mac's own screen. Clearly that's a problem with its external video port software.

Mac users dont rant that they have a superior product. Thats a figment of your imagination.

Not in my experience, which is similar to Barry's. The mac people I know make no secret about looking down on PC's. (and I'm not above enjoying the moment when their beloved mac gives them trouble!)

Nothing is perfect and there will be glitches no matter what you get.

Those who want to find fault with anything will always find fault.

Look at what it will do, not what it wont do.

What it won't do becomes the problem when they want it to do it.

Easy. Nikon, Toyota, Vulcans.

(and its spelled Klingon)

Nah ... for me it's Canon, Nissan, and Klingons. :)/>

Regards, Colin.

Yes, I have been having a bit of a laugh here with the Mac issue, but most of you have missed my point. Its not the Mac v PC issue at all that makes me smile. I have no doubt at all that Macs are great computers. Its human nature that I find funny, which feels the need to turn tools to do a job into objects of desire with bragging rights. Then those who see every sentence that contains Mac and PC as a challenge against their chosen way of working and feel compelled to respond.

Some of you need to lighten up and get out more :lol:/>