WnSoft Forums

Custom icon missing from shortcut to EXE

PGA

This problem has been reported before (see here) but I have hit it with two recently built sequences.

I added a custom icon in the usual way to each sequence during the assembly of the sequences (that is two different custom icons, one to each sequence). I then Published the EXE for PC for each sequence. The correct custom icon appeared alongside each .exe file's name in Windows Explorer. I then copied each sequence to the clipboard and pasted a shortcut to the desktop. Both shortcuts had the blue and silver arrow-head icon.

I investigated both shortcuts via their Properties. In both cases they were looking for their icon in their exe file. This suggests to me that the custom icon might not be properly packaged within the EXE file and thus is failing to satisfy Windows that it really is a valid icon image.

I was able to re-map the icon to the shortcut via the Properties of the shortcut (Properties > Shortcut tab > Change icon button). I have got where I wanted to be - but only after a little battle with the system. If there is anything that can be done in PTE to eliminate this problem, it would be much appreciated.

regards,

Peter

If I create a shortcut by right clicking on .exe it works for me (Windows 8.1). I can also create a copy of the shortcut and I can still see the custom icon. I created the png icon in Irfanview in case it matters.

Tom

When i have the problem of custom icon of PTE (it's windows who keep the old icon in its icon cache),

I open a Command Prompt and type:

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache

In fact, i have created a batch file on the desktop.

It's the easiest way i found on the web.

Denis