WnSoft Forums

Preview from Current Position

davegee

Labelling of Preview from Current Position Icon  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Piece of Toast" Icon for "Preview from Current Position" be properly labelled - "Preview from Current Position"

• YES
    • NO

There seems to be a concensus that the "Piece of Toast" Icon should have the Text

If its really such a issue ... I personally believe its better to bring back the right-click menu item that was available in previous versions with its text description Start Preview From This Slide - CTRL + R for those new users who may be initially unfamiliar with icon button designations/functions. This old/previous menu item also easily relates the keyboard short-cut to perform the same function. This way there is nothing to turn on or turn off ... and its fully text descriptive of its function.

I also belive its better to have the Windows generic Run Icon symbol button ( which is the so-called "Piece of Toast" icon button) on/displayed by default during initial program installation. Users may find it easier later on to move/remove/hide it rather than initially figuring out how to show/reveal from the Toolbar setting.

The so-called "Piece of Toast" icon button already has a mouse-over text description ... so I see no need to also include a text button label.

Hardly a mandate for Igor to add even more tool tips.

The 'piece of toast' has always been contentious as to what it means, even from early days.

Igor has now added an icon, well known in the real world, which does what it says on its tool tip. There's also a right-click option and a keyboard shortcut. All achieve the same end, so why all this concern?

It seems crazy that we're being asked to vote on something like labelling an outdated, unclear icon which most newcomers will never now need to use.

This could explain the poor poll response.

I believe it would be better labelled. Users that have been with PTE for some time will be well aware of what this icon does but labelling it would benefit new users.

By default the icon appears in the left hand end of the upper toolbar and the full preview mode appears in the right hand end. I know that these can be customised but it would be better if they were grouped together by default and labelled with what it actually does.

And here is where confusion may arise for new users. The right click option on the mini player window does not do the same thing as the "toast" icon, but does the same as clicking on the four little arrows at the end of the mini player timeline. The toast icon plays a preview including the transition from the previous image but the right click function only plays the preview from the point that that image fully appears on screen.

My vote is for a yes

Gogs

But the 'toast' is already labelled with the tool tip - 'Start preview from this slide'.

The four-way-arrow gives a more versatile and precise way of setting the preview start position and, of course, if a start including the incoming transition is needed then just set the cursor to this position.

The right click function also plays from any position that the cursor is set to - including mid-transition(s).

But the 'toast' is already labelled with the tool tip - 'Start preview from this slide'.

The four-way-arrow gives a more versatile and precise way of setting the preview start position and, of course, if a start including the incoming transition is needed then just set the cursor to this position.

The right click function also plays from any position that the cursor is set to - including mid-transition(s).

100 % agreed!

I'll vote for NO.

Put the cursor on it and it shows what it does. How is it possible that people want such an ugly button.

Everybody need to invest some time to learn the software!

Almost daily there is a request for changes and adjustments to the program, do you think a newcomer is happy with that?

Greetings,

Cor

Arising out of recent threads / Posts.

==========================

Greetings,

My 2 cents is that, whether they are icons or icons with labels, the 'toast' icon and the '4 arrow' icon should be at the same location, side-by-side. To have on at one end of the screen and the other over to the right side, just makes no sense. Since they do fairly similar actions (though slightly different), put them together. I'd move the 'toast' icon to be next to the '4 arrow' icon.

Gary