WnSoft Forums

Updating the Forum Software...continued

goddi

Igor,

The original topic was apparently removed but I don't think one of the problems was resolved.

It still is not working as it did in the previous version. It does not recognize postings that have already been read, as I described in my posting in the original topic. Is there a setting I am missing or not?? It does not skip over the already read posts. I have 'New since my last visit' selected.

Gary

It still is not working as it did in the previous version. It does not recognize postings that have already been read

Gary,

Just because it is working differently doesn't mean that it is working incorrectly. PTE v8 works differently to v7.0 but it isn't working incorrectly. Sometimes, with new software versions we, the users, have to adjust our working techniques.

It is possible to see the result that you want with the new forum software. The first attachment below shows what I see when I go into the forum website. Note that any sections with unread items are shown in bold font. So I immediately know where the unread content is. The second attachment shows what I see when I use "View New Content". Those topics with unread material are the only ones shown to me and they are also shown in bold font. To see the most recent post in either of those topics I go over to the right hand side (see third attachment) and here I click on the "Today, <timestamp>" link.

That takes me straight to the most recent post in that topic, which is what you are wanting to see, if I have understood your previous posts correctly.

regards,

Peter

post-7090-0-73610200-1394815849_thumb.jp post-7090-0-13229400-1394815861_thumb.jp post-7090-0-09831500-1394815871_thumb.jp

Gary,

Just because it is working differently doesn't mean that it is working incorrectly. PTE v8 works differently to v7.0 but it isn't working incorrectly. Sometimes, with new software versions we, the users, have to adjust our working techniques.

That takes me straight to the most recent post in that topic, which is what you are wanting to see, if I have understood your previous posts correctly.

regards,

Peter

attachicon.gifNewForum#1.JPG attachicon.gifNewForum#2.JPG attachicon.gifNewForum#3.JPG

Peter,

I don't think you have understood my posting. If I go to 'View new content' for a topic, and, say, there are 3 pages of replies, and I have viewed every one except the last one, I expect to automatically be taken to this last posting. This is how it worked in the previous version. However, now, it dumps me at the very first posting in the first page of the three pages and I have to manually scroll to that last new posting. If this is the way it is 'supposed' to work, they have taken a step backwards for no good reason. Sure we can adjust, but why make the viewing of postings more difficult??? :blink:

What good is 'View new content' if it shows you already read content?

Gary

Gary,

Your experience is not the same as mine.

If I read a post then it is tagged as read.

I haven't done anything special - I have ticked "Content I have not read".

If I want to mark all as read I use the facility which Peter pointed out at the bottom of the page.

Is it a Browser thing?? I'm on Firefox.

I don't think that you can reasonably assume that everyone is seeing the same thing as you.

Perhaps some screen shots might help?

DG

Gary,

Your experience is not the same as mine.

If I read a post then it is tagged as read.

I haven't done anything special - I have ticked "Content I have not read".

If I want to mark all as read I use the facility which Peter pointed out at the bottom of the page.

Is it a Browser thing?? I'm on Firefox.

I don't think that you can reasonably assume that everyone is seeing the same thing as you.

Perhaps some screen shots might help?

DG

Dave,

I also use Firefox, so I don't think it is a browser thing.

Peter says to click on the 'Today' icon. That does not make sense. What if it has been a week since you viewed the Forum? Does the 'Today' only show what was posted 'today'? What about the postings prior to 'Today'? Selecting 'Contents I have not read' makes perfect sense but it does not do that.

I added some screen shots.

Gary

post-1794-0-89843900-1394822802_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-21716200-1394822805_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-98623200-1394822806_thumb.jp

Gary,

That is what I am NOT getting?

As soon as I have read a topic it will not again appear in the New Content List - Automatically.

DG

Dave,

So, could it be a setting that I have missed? When I click on the link in the email notice of a new posting, it goes directly to that new posting. But when I do what I have mentioned above, it does not show only the New Content, it goes to the beginning of the old read content. This is in Win8.

Gary

Gary

When you leave the forum are you clicking the "mark all as read" text?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Yes, I tried that. But I don't think that should be a requirement. If you select 'New since my last posting', and then 'View New Content', it should not show posting you have already read. It worked in the previous version, but not now.

Gary

Gary

With respect, it doesn't matter what you think, if that's the tune, hum it ;)

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

I am getting pretty tired of unhelpful comments like that. We post what we believe and what we think and we ask questions. If a program worked in a certain way that was beneficial and logical before an update, I think one would believe that it should still be there after an update of a program. So all I am asking is to bring it back if it can be brought back. Making the people who are in charge of the program of a perceived problem seems to be a logical step. We do that with betas of PTE. Telling someone that it 'doesn't matter what you think' is pretty lame. If we just hum along, as you say, we surely would not get far. Maybe I don't have correct setting somewhere, maybe not. But, for me, the Forum is not acting as it did before the update. For all the questions you have posted on this site, I am amazed you even consider saying what you said.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Gary

The forum is not a beta, what you've got is what you will get. It's the same with SSC. Don't you think it's strange there is only you having a problem with how things are now?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Gary

The forum is not a beta, what you've got is what you will get. It's the same with SSC. Don't you think it's strange there is only you having a problem with how things are now?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Every update or change to a program is never perfect. There are always something that needs a tweek. Why did Igor create a Topic for this??? Yes, I do think it is strange that I am the only one who reported this deviation from the way it used to be. But you have posted questions that no one else has had. So let's get real and just try to help out and not post comments that do not further the discussion in a helpful way. Don't know what SSC is.

Gary

Gary,

Please look on the attached screenshot.

post-1-0-95821000-1395045692_thumb.jpg

'View New Content" in the new forum allows to do 3 things:

1. Go to last UNREAD post.

2. Go to the FIRST post.

3. Go to the LAST post.

So you need to click a small "circle" link to see last unread post in necessary topic.

I admit that it works differently than in previous version of the forum software, but we can't change it.

We have to update the software to get the latest security patches.

P.S. I think that developers of IPB forum software did it for consistency. Because when you click to a topic title in the usual mode (the list of topics) you always go to the first post. Same in "View New Content" now.

Igor,

That small circle will be very useful on a highly active topic! In the past I have used the date link to go to the last post of all and then scrolled backwards to find the last post that I thought I had read. Using that circle link will save a lot of time. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Please look on the attached screenshot.

'View New Content" in the new forum allows to do 3 things:

1. Go to last UNREAD post.

2. Go to the FIRST post.

3. Go to the LAST post.

So you need to click a small "circle" link to see last unread post in necessary topic.

I admit that it works differently than in previous version of the forum software, but we can't change it.

We have to update the software to get the latest security patches.

P.S. I think that developers of IPB forum software did it for consistency. Because when you click to a topic title in the usual mode (the list of topics) you always go to the first post. Same in "View New Content" now.

Greetings Igor and Peter,

Thanks for the info. I never noticed the small 'circle' that you mentioned. However, my small 'circle' does not say 'Go to last UNREAD post'; it says 'Go to FIRST unread post'. Maybe it was just a type.

I don't see what the 'New since my last visit' does. It does not seem to do that.

The 'star', indicating that I have posted in that topic, doesn't do much, actually nothing. So my only choice is to click on the 'Today...' to 'Go to the last post'. But what if I want to go to the first unread post in this situation, not just the last post? It would make more sense if it went to the 'Last UNREAD post', not the last post.

I am sure I am the only one who thinks these changes are unintuitive and unhelpful. It seems they want to make something 'new' again by changing things that don't really need to be changed. What's new? It was logical before. Not so much now.

I am sure, eventually, I will get the hang of this, but I give it two thumbs down.

Gary

Gary,

When I hover the mouse pointer over a circle icon I get a tooltip that says "Go to first unread post". If I click on that circle I get taken to the first unread post. Does the tooltip (and the behaviour) depend upon the mode in which you are operating, I wonder? I operate in "Content I have not read" mode.

"New since my last visit" shows you only those topics that have posts made (or topics that are themselves new) since you last visited the forum. It does not show you those topics which have unread posts that you ignored on your previous visit(s).

As far as I can see, the forum options are doing exactly what they claim to be doing. I do not see any logical problems at all.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

When I hover the mouse pointer over a circle icon I get a tooltip that says "Go to first unread post". If I click on that circle I get taken to the first unread post. Does the tooltip (and the behaviour) depend upon the mode in which you are operating, I wonder? I operate in "Content I have not read" mode.

"New since my last visit" shows you only those topics that have posts made (or topics that are themselves new) since you last visited the forum. It does not show you those topics which have unread posts that you ignored on your previous visit(s).

As far as I can see, the forum options are doing exactly what they claim to be doing. I do not see any logical problems at all.

regards,

Peter

Greetings Peter,

Ok, just for the sake of discussion, let's first talk about the 'New since my last visit' selection. If I have made posting to this topic, it shows a 'star'. To view the postings in the topic, I could click on page 2 and maually scroll down to find the first unread post. Or, I could click on the 'Today' icon, but that takes me to the 'last post'. Now, what if I am away from the Forum for, say, a week or more. And there are, say, as dozen postings that I have not read yet. Why would I want to go the the 'last post'? I would want to go to the 'last unread post'. This, to me, is a 'logical problem'. The previous version would take you to the 'last unread post'. Why change this logic? See attached.

Gary

post-1794-0-41353200-1395092681_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

This is like drawing teeth. I hadn't event seen the star :wacko: However, the icon on the opposite side of the screen like an inverted tear drop next to "View new content", has a multi function. See screen shots.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-39065700-1395094558_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-70315200-1395094709_thumb.jp