WnSoft Forums

A Test of 60 frames per second.

Lin Evans

As some of you may know, most video sharing sites are limited to 30 frames per second which is simply too slow to support optimal animation. Even though 1080p looks great for still slides, when animation is present things get jerky. This is true of Vimeo or YouTube. YouTube is presently doing beta testing of 60fps with html5 but from all reports it's still very buggy and far from optimized.

A google search revealed that Dailymotion supports 60fps at 1280x720 so I created a little show for my daughter and grand kids using their own low resolution (mostly phone photos) shots and output it from PicturesToExe at 60fps. It looked great on my own system so I uploaded it to Dailymotion and it doesn't look too bad. Whatever they did lowered the quality a bit, but it appears to be at 60fps and the animation is nice and smooth. Try it and let me know what you think - link below:

http://www.dailymotion.com/linatdata2

Best regards,

Lin

This morning I saw a "not published yet" message. I click on "publish" so hopefully it's fixed. Someone else will have to try it because it's always worked for me so I can't be certain...

Best regards,

Lin

I "think" it's fixed now - sorry for all the issues. It was unclear to me why it wasn't published but appears that it is finally "fixed."

Thanks for checking it Bert.... since you could see it, it should be available now...

Best regards,

Lin

OK got it this time Lin

I don't understand how you do all those manipulations, but the fact you do them and do them well is enough for me.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm relieved to hear that it's finally working! Actually, everything in that little show for my daughter you can easily do yourself. The "rubik's cube" was done with a great style provided by Jean Cyprien and also the Kaleidoscope was done with a Jean Cyprien style. The books were created with Photoshop actions by Panos Efstathiadas (Panos FX) from his new Books - Brochures - Boxes commercial actions. The waving flag on the last slide was created as an RGBA Alpha Channel avi video using Bluff Titler by substituting a PNG image of an American Flag for the default Holland Flag (just renamed the Holland Flag and named the American Flag Hollandflag.png) then deleted the "plasma layer" and the layer with the flagpole, then output as a compressed avi with transparency using the free HuffYU2.1.1 codec. The RGBA alpha channel avi was added to the last slide, then resized and placed where I wanted it and then that slide was converted to an MP4 h.264, converted with PTE and placed back as a video slide replacement for the original slide. If there is interest, I will create a little video tutorial showing how to use the above styles, etc., to do your own animations.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Robert,

Thanks! My son-in-law is a career Marine Master Sgt, and has about four more years before retirement. Hopefully after four combat deployments he won't have to do another. The right side of the two sided book is him leaving on his last combat deployment to Afghanistan and the left side is my daughter (with the red hair) greeting him on his return. As a life member of the Military Order of The Purple Heart myself, I hate it every time he is deployed because I know the statistics and probabilities. He's been extremely lucky so hoping he's done his last combat deployment. The image quality isn't great because the pictures were all snapshots taken by family members and most with cell phones, but it was fun for the grand kids .....

Best regards,

Lin

One thing of note - playback over a browser is never as smooth as direct playback with a player on your hard disk. Even when I upload a beautifully smooth 60fps video to my own server and play it back fully buffered via any of my browsers (Chrome, Mozilla, IE), it's not nearly as good and smooth as when I play it from my hard disk with a good media player. Why? Either something gets dropped in the upload download chain or the browser itself causes an issue. My money is on the browser causing the problem. If this is the case, then even when YouTube gets the wrinkles ironed out, our 60 fps perfectly smooth videos with animations won't look nearly as good when played on-line as they do when played from our hard-disks with a player.

For example, I create a beautifully smooth 60fps video and use the Kantaris player to play it back on my system. Beautiful! It's perfectly smooth and absolutely zero jerk. Then I import it into Xara Web Designer and output a web page complete with all html code to my hard drive. I then use Mozilla Firefox to "play" the html directly from the hard disk and the 60fps beautifully smooth video is no longer perfectly smooth. I go into the file where Xara calls the video and play the mp4 directly from there with Kantaris - result? Perfectly smooth. So there is some issue created by the browsers themselves which prevent perfectly smooth playback of 60fps videos. Until that issue is resolved, our animated videos will never look as good on-line as they do played directly on our systems with a player.

Best regards,

Lin

Unfortunately YouTube is not finished with their 60 fps upgrade. I just uploaded a PTE created 60 fps and it's only 30 fps. The red line should match the green line at 60 fps.

http://youtubecreator.blogspot.com/2014/06/look-ahead-creator-features-coming-to.html

Tom

Hi Tom,

It will be some time before they get it done. You can join their HTML5 beta but from all the comments I'm getting it's just not working well yet. There is still a problem with browsers which prevents 60 fps from proper playback. Even when I output an excellent and extremely smooth 60 fps video on my own hard disk and call it with a browser, it's not all that great. If I play the identical video with a good player, it plays perfectly, but when it's called from html, even though the browsers are playing the same video from the same folder on the hard disk which plays perfectly with any of the decent players, it's not satisfactory with the browser. I'm afraid we are in for a bit of a wait before video played over the web catches up with what can be done via players on our systems. I've tried IE, Mozilla and Chrome. Perhaps Safari is different, maybe you can try it yourself. If you have a web generation program such as DreamWeaver or Xara Web Designer which can output the code for the web to your hard drive, give it a try. That's what I did with the video I ended uploading to DailyMotion. AFAIK DailyMotion is the only current host supporting 60 fps video.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I have tested in the browser by dragging the video into a Chrome window. It plays back at 60 fps and looks almost identical as the media classic home cinema player. This is not using a html page, just drag and drop. I just wish YouTube would be faster implementing the upgrade.

Download and play in browser/Media Player

http://1drv.ms/XRV1Vj

Slightly different topic:

Did you know that YouTube allows you to use their music and sound effects in both YouTube videos AND other content you create (PTE slideshows) as long as you do not distribute the audio files.

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/soundeffects

"Additional terms and conditions

Your use of this music library (including the music files in this library) is subject to the YouTube Terms of Service. Music from this library is intended solely for use by you in videos and other content that you create. You may use music files from this library in videos that you monetize on YouTube.

By downloading music from this library, you agree that you will not:

• Make available, distribute or perform the music files from this library separately from videos and other content into which you have incorporated these music files (but not for standalone distribution).
  • Use music files from this library in an illegal manner or in connection with any illegal content."

Interesting.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Sometime around last year YT flagged one of my uploads for 3rd party copyright content & suggested I use a track from their library, when I checked out their suggestion, it bore no relationship to my original & didn't suit the show, so I ignored the 3rd party flag & used my own. Maybe their stock has improved since then?, will have a look now as my Kevin Macleod & Lino Rise tracks are running out.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Tom,

It's not the fps which appears to be the problem and in order to simulate the true browser response, you really need to play it via the html link. If you like, I'll send you a video with animation which challenges the browser but plays perfectly with the player. It just won't play smoothly via any of the browsers I have (chrome, IE or Mozilla) when called via the html. I've tried it with both my XP system with a pretty powerful video card (GTX 750Ti with 2 gig RAM) and with my super powerful Win 8.1 system (very strong i7 4770 3.4 gh 8 cpu's and 32 gig RAM with 3 gig Video Ram on an nVidia GTX 760) with identical responses. Plays perfectly in the player, but when called vial the html using the browser.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Strange. That's not the result I am seeing with my simple stroboscope slideshow. When I drag a mp4 video into the chrome browser I can view the source and can verify it is using the html 5 engine (not flash). If I save the html and double click to open in the chrome browser it also plays back correctly. Can you verify your web page is using html 5 syntax (and not flash)? *IF* my Panasonic FZ1000 ever is delivered I can experiment with real video.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

Source code from drag and drop saved as html to verify 60 fps.

<html>

<head><meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width"></head>
<body>
<video controls="" autoplay="" name="media"><source src="file:///D:/60.mp4" type="video/mp4"></video>
</body>
</html>
Thanks,
Tom