How to crash PTE by adjusting Picture information

JudyKay

Many variations are possible, but try this:

1. Open a project

2. Insert a blank slide

3. Apply slide style: Image | Color-Grayscale

4. Open O/A for the same slide

5. Choose Properties Tab

6. Adjust the Picture information to something unlikely, for example, change "TextWithSize:640:427:1" to "TextWithSize:640000000000:427:1 "

Depending on the variation, all manner of warnings popup and sometimes an inescapable error cycle.

This occurs when applying a style to a blank slide.

It is not unlikely that a person would do this and then attempt to change to an actual image or just be curious (like me!). An error of entry might produce this error.

You wouldn't normally apply a Style to a Blank Slide - it needs an Indexed Image to do what a Style is supposed to do.

However you can do it - the next logical step is to use the drop down Menu to change the "TextWithSize....." to a valid Image with an Index and when this is done the Style operates successfully.

It seems that Igor should protect us from oursleves?

DG

Most normal people wouldn't try such a thing, but I need protected! Maybe just a little error trapping. Then again, no one may discover it again for 30 years.

Actually I discovered the problem by adding a texture as a style to a blank slide and then wanting to modify it. I am not normal, but that is something a "normal" person might do.

I have concluded that this is actually a very useful feature if it works properly.

I am presently adding photos to a background and then creating a mask for the photo. I want to visually adjust the fade and size of a rectangular fade. Manual adjustments mostly fail. This should be made to work.

The work around is to guess and keep creating new masks until I get it right, but that is a lesser idea.

Edit: I am also quite successful coping mask parameters from one mask to another with fine tuning. This is very useful, but the slightest mistakes creates error chaos. I really hope this function can be developed dummy-proof for people like me :)

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2014 at 10:29 PM, JudyKay said:

Most normal people wouldn't try such a thing, but I need protected! Maybe just a little error trapping. Then again, no one may discover it again for 30 years.

Actually I discovered the problem by adding a texture as a style to a blank slide and then wanting to modify it. I am not normal, but that is something a "normal" person might do.

Hi,  it did not take 30 years ..  today I managed to crash PTE after dissecting DG " strips no mask " style then trying to produce different style.  Searching the forum for this error brought me to this old thread, I taken it's not dummy proof yet. :D

I'm not normal either!! 

Regards,

Sami