WnSoft Forums

Child image not showing in Preview mode

JEB

Hi Folks,

Can somebody please offer a suggestion as to what I may be doing wrong?

I have created a jpg image of a “satellite” Google map of a river I wish to use in a sequence I am working on.bIt will be panned through the screen at various times during the sequence.

As the river is not always clearly visible I have also created an overlay in PS as a “.png” and placed this overlay as a child of the main map in PTE.

It plays perfectly in O+A and in the mini-viewer but NOT in full screen Preview?

Any ideas?

John

John,

It's no great help to you, but you're the second user to raise this problem in the last two-three days. Can you create the problem if you strip your sequence down to just three images, one either side of this problem slide? If so, Zip up a backup and upload it so that others, including the wizards of Wnsoft, can see what you are trying to do.

I have just set up a simple test sequence of one slide, a JPEG, with a child image, a PNG, that was animated to move over the JPEG. No problems. Changed the sequence so that the child stayed still on its parent and the parent panned across the screen. Again, no problems.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I have done as you asked. I have just been expiramenting at this point so there is no great urgency. The main image is rather large as I will be needing to zoom in to quite a depth at places. I'm relieved to hear that I am not entirely alone in experiencing this.

Regards,

John

PreviewChildTest_Feb17-2015_23-18-41.zip

Hi John, it works normally on my system in both the mini-viewer and the normal preview. I'm wondering if you might be running into a resource issue of some type because of the size of the file...

I'm going to create an exe and post the link below and let's see if the exe works properly on your system...

http://www.lin-evans.org/john/preview.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Good morning folks,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I have not been totally idol.

I think Lin you are correct in identifying there being a resource issue. Not I think lack of resources just that PTE is not getting full access to them within my set up.

Some background information.

You may be aware that I use a MAC (which is in itself not short of resources) and run W7 within Parallels.

Coincidently with the introduction of one of the latest issues of PTE I recently lost access to the built in MAC DVD burner from Windows and have had to resort to a dedicated external DVD burner. I was advised by Igor that PTE are not now able to provide support to rectify this issue at this time. I suspect that this current issue may fall into the same category.

Since last night I made both a PC and MAC .exe from the zip file I had uploaded and neither performed as they should. I burned them (PC version) to a CD and opened them on my Windows laptop and the .exe did NOT run with the overlay so I unzipped the file on the laptop and created an .exe from the laptop and it ran perfectly.

It would appear that there is an issue between PTE / MAC / Windows / Parallels.

It’s a pity as I have never experienced these sort of issues in the past. I have been running this set up for about four years now. But then nothing remains constant I suppose, particularly when there are four individual players each with their own priorities!

Perhaps Igor would like to comment?

Regards

John

Hi John,

It would appear that the issue has to do with the construction phase during the executable build. This can be deduced because the exe I created from your zipped file runs - but you couldn't create it on your system. This could be because all resources of your system are not available such as insufficient RAM from the GPU, or it could be that insufficient resources are simultaneously available. Igor probably could confirm but in order to find out what is causing the problem some experimentation must be done.

The first thing I would do is begin manipulating the variables. Since the problem is evident at the preview stage, the first thing I would do is substitute a different PNG file - it really doesn't matter that it is even a similar thing, just a PNG which you can determine is functioning. Don't change the keyframes at all, just choose a different PNG and make it a much smaller one which doesn't occupy the entire 1920x1080 pixel dimension. If this one works, then the problem can be localized to either GPU or CPU RAM possibly not being addressed or insufficient.

If the file still will not build in the preview - then substitute a much smaller parent file leaving all your keyframes as they are. See if that will build in the preview. By doing this you will be able to possibly localize which, if either file is creating the road-block and Igor can investigate further. The fact that you lost the ability to access your DVD is a clue and perhaps by localizing the problem now apparent, both issues might be resolved or at least sussed out...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I have done as you suggested.

I created a new smaller PNG of 60 KB as compared to the original of 163 KB and that worked in the Preview. I then resized my original 163 KB down to 73 KB and that works.

It seemed strange that such a little difference in size should make such a difference in performance.

While writing this I have gone back to PS and made a further PNG from the original file and that now works ok in Preview!

What I don't understand is why would the original file I supplied work for you and others in Preview but not for me!

Even more strangely, I can't now even get that original file to appear in O+A or the mini-viewer!

I give up. Im going to have a lie down!!!

Incidentally I have 4 of my 16 GB of RAM allocated to Windows7 (I believe it can't actually use any more).

I've not really had any what I would describe as memory issues with this computer (just my own memory).

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Well, the good news is that we can assume that it's indeed some sort of resource issue. I suspect the reason it works for someone using a regular Windows system versus the Mac with a portion dedicated to Windows is related to a differential in the timing of the availability of RAM.

The only other potential place where I can see a possibility for an issue is that perhaps something in the original PNG file isn't tolerated in the same fashion by the Mac hardware. If you were to remake the original PNG in exactly the same way I'm betting it might work.

I long ago gave up trying to understand all the intricacies of the lives of electrons. They seem at times to have a mind of their own.

Best regards,

Lin