WnSoft Forums

Adding many images to new slide problem

wideangle

OK - here's the scenario.

I'm playing around with simulating a jigsaw.

I started with a 1920x1080 image and split it into 100 png images to represent a 10x10 jigsaw..

Each png image is 1920x1080 and represents a single piece on a transparent background.

My idea was to use PTE by starting with a blank slide, go to Objects and Animation, use Add Image to add the 100 png files, set the opacity of each one to 0 then switch individual opacities to 100 as and when I wanted a piece to appear.

However my stumbling block was the first step!

If I go to Objects and Animation, click on Add Image, highlight the 100 png files and click on Open, I get only about 50% of the pieces appearing. It isn't the first 50 either - seems to be rather random.

Can anyone offer any ideas please?

[i suspect I may be hitting some kind of size limit here. A typical single png is around 65 KB, and all 100 take up about 6.7 MB]

Many thanks

wideangle

Guest Yachtsman1

After I wrote the above, I tried adding 50 JPEGS to a single JPEG in O&A both as children & separate images & it worked fine without changing the time of the base image, so the only difference is the PNG factor. Can't think how to create a large number of PNG's to try an exact simulation, so has anyone else any ideas.?

Yachtsman1.

PS just had a thought, why do they need to be PNG images to do what WA wants?

Wideangle,

I think that Igor has explained this one before.

It goes something like this:

Even though your PNG files are relatively small file size-wise, when they are added to the O&A they are treated as full size 1920x1080 images and the amount of resources required is many times that of the accumulated file sizes of the PNGs.

I think that the explanation was that 100 full size images is an unrealistic amount.

100 small (resolution) Objects is OK - 100 Full resolution Objects is unrealistic.

Igor will probably explain it far better than I can.

DG

Thanks to both of you for that.

Davegee - That's kind of what I thought I'd heard somewhere before, so it's back to the drawing board I guess!

Yachtsman - the png's were 1920x1080 with most of each png being transparent apart from the little jigsaw piece itself. I planned to add a keypoint and make several pieces appear at the same time by setting their opacity to 100%.

Regards

wideangle

Wideangle,

Why not crop off the excess transparency? Placement will still be relatively straightforward and the total load on the GPU might become tolerable. Alternatively, spread the addition of the pieces across several slides.

Wideangle

I have done a jigsaw effect a few times and took the view that lots of Png's and keyframes made it far too complicated. I chose to do the planning and prep in Photoshop so each change on screen was an individual jpg image. I have a short demo on this page This is very short, but may help

You could use jpgs mostly to keep file sizes down and png's where you need or want to animate.

Just a report back.

Played with a few of the above ideas.

PGA's idea of cropping off the excess transparency in each of the png's solves the problem I was experiencing, but does involve a bit of fiddling about in PTE to position the separate pieces.

Barry's approach of doing the planning of building the jigsaw in Photoshop and saving each stage as a separate jpg to use as a slide in PTE seemed to be the best for me.

My method so far is:

Use Photoshop with a Panos action to create the separate pieces as individual layers.

Hide all the layers to start with.

Switch on one (or more) layers to display a piece.

Save as a jpg.

Choose another layer to switch on to display the next piece.

Save as a jpg etc until the jigsaw is completed.

(This stage seems to be crying out for a suitable Photoshop action, but I'm not into that yet!)

So now I've got a sequence of jpgs ready to put into PTE as separate slides, which is where I am at the moment.

The next bit of the learning curve is to add some music and get the slides to appear on the beats.

Does anyone know of any free (instrumental?) music with good definite beats which might work well?

I'm not too concerned at this stage whether the music matches the jigsaw content!

Regards

wideangle

Guest Yachtsman1

I've used lots of tracks from these two sites,Kevin Macleod just remember with KM to use his free stuff ohttp://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/r ignore the poop message & click the Royalty Free tab, or Lino Rise http://www.linorise.de/ Youtube may try to tell you they aren't copyright free but I just challenge or ignore them. Read the small print on both sites.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS Looks like Lino Rise may no longer be free to download. Luckily I made copies of his free stuff when I introduced him a couple of years ago.

Wideangle

How long do you think it would take to cut out 60 puzzle pieces from one image? Well, with Photoshop actions and with a little help, it will take you under 3 minutes. In a video I made a while ago, I supplied a number of 16:9 and 16:10 format templates of this jigsaw with a variety of pieces. In addition I also created a Photoshop Action that does all the hard work.

If you would like a copy of this video with my compliments, please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a link to the video