WnSoft Forums

File Name-incorrect & V9.0.7 has been freezing

goddi

Greetings,

I think we had this incorrect file name problem in an earlier version but it was fixed. However, it seems to have come back in V9.0.7.

I changed the video file (using 'Change Video File'). The correct video clip is in the Timeline but the file name shown in the Timeline is incorrect. See attached.

Also, I have been experiencing many times when V9.0.7 freezes. The mouse will move around but I can not do anything except close and restart PTE. This has been happening I think when I am trying to Preview different video clips in the File List. All of a sudden, PTE locks up. No error message, just locks up.

Gary

File Name V907.jpg

Gary,

I can't reproduce first problem.

I start a new project. Add one video clip. Switch to the timeline view. Click right mouse button to show the popup menu for the video file. Choose "Replace video file" and select another video file. Name of the slide was updated in the timeline view and in the Slide list, and Slide options.

On 31.03.2017 at 10:58 PM, goddi said:

Also, I have been experiencing many times when V9.0.7 freezes. The mouse will move around but I can not do anything except close and restart PTE. This has been happening I think when I am trying to Preview different video clips in the File List. All of a sudden, PTE locks up. No error message, just locks up.

Gary,

I think it happens during playback of FullHD video files in H.264.

In future version we plan to fully rewrite video decoders. It should help.

3 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

I start a new project. Add one video clip. Switch to the timeline view. Click right mouse button to show the popup menu for the video file. Choose "Replace video file" and select another video file. Name of the slide was updated in the timeline view and in the Slide list, and Slide options.

Igor, I can reproduce the file naming problem. I have removed most of the other images and videos to make a small show and created a 'Backup in Zip'. The 'problem' video clip is slide#2. At the end of the Slides (after the blank slide), I add both video clips ('DSC_5924-1280x7200-24-16.mp4' and 'DSC_5924-1920x1080-24-16-DviX-5Mbps.avi') so they would be included separately.

When I try to replace the video clip at slide#2 (that shows the 'DSC_5924-1280x7200-24-16.mp4') with the 'DSC_5924-1920x1080-24-16-DviX-5Mbps.avi' video clip, the video clip does change but the file name does not. Can you take a look and see what might be going on?

Thanks... Gary

Naples_with_error_Apr3-2017_12-36-53.zip

3 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

I think it happens during playback of FullHD video files in H.264.

In future version we plan to fully rewrite video decoders. It should help.

Igor, I am pretty sure I don't have any videos formatted as H.264. Any other things that I should look for if it happens again???

Gary

On 4/3/2017 at 8:27 AM, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Igor, Have you taken a look at the video I attached in my response? While I was trying again, in this sample, to change the video clip, it still does not update the filename and PTE froze while I was working on it. Can you see what is causing this problem in this sample?

Gary

Gary,

Assuming that you are refering to the MP4 file in your ZIP file, I started a new project and Converted the MP4 - right Click Convert.

I dragged the Converted File into the Slide List and Right Clicked on it.

I chose to Change the Video file and it allowed me to change the file - it renamed it and changed the Time and I was also able to reverse the process.

DG

2 hours ago, davegee said:

Gary,

Assuming that you are refering to the MP4 file in your ZIP file, I started a new project and Converted the MP4 - right Click Convert.

I dragged the Converted File into the Slide List and Right Clicked on it.

I chose to Change the Video file and it allowed me to change the file - it renamed it and changed the Time and I was also able to reverse the process.

DG

Greetings Dave,

Yes. Most times it works. I can easily remove the mp4 video clip and insert the new avi clip. But...I would like to know what is causing the problem. Maybe it can happen again. Maybe there is something inherent in this version. Something is going on because, as I mentioned, as I was going through the process of trying to change the video clip, PTE also froze up. It has happened several times. If it is just me, OK. I just wonder if Igor can sense what might be going one for PTE to react this way. The File Info indicates it is the correct video clip but the Timeline's filename is not updated to show the new video clip's name. Just strange.

Gary

Gary,

There are two posts here which you need to read carefully and which I think answer your queries:

I am assuming that what Igor is saying is that the MP4 which is in your project is H.264.

If you take that H.264 MP4 out of your project and instead, insert the Converted .avi I think that your problems will be over, albeit that I think we are still awaiting the fix for my report above, which was based on your ZIP file.

DG

15 minutes ago, davegee said:

Gary,

There are two posts here which you need to read carefully and which I think answer your queries:

I am assuming that what Igor is saying is that the MP4 which is in your project is H.264.

If you take that H.264 MP4 out of your project and instead, insert the Converted .avi I think that your problems will be over, albeit that I think we are still awaiting the fix for my report above, which was based on your ZIP file.

DG

Dave.... Yes, I saw that but I did not think (understand) that the MP4 video clip was in 'H264' format. I have used it many times before with no problem. I am attaching the MediaInfo on this video clip. Can you tell me if it indicates it is in 'H264'? I don't know how to tell. Since I did not see 'H264' in the MediaInfo's 'format' description.

Oh...I paused to Google 'what is 'AVC'. Now I understand. 'AVC' is 'H.264'. Found this:

"H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC) is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based video compression standard. As of 2014 it is one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of video content."

It just threw me because I have used it many times before with no problems, and MediaInfo did not show 'H264'. Ok, good to know.

Thanks, Gary

Video format.jpg

Gary,

We spoke about WORKFLOW earlier.

The workflow that I have adopted with regard to MOV and MP4 Files is to CONVERT from the FILE LIST (not the SLIDE LIST) and only add the Converted / Trimmed AVI to the Slide List.

The downside is that if everyone worked this way all the time there would be no BUGs to iron out :)

Your MP4 was already in the project - it should not have been - you should have been asked to convert when you dragged it in - were you?

Did you ignore it?

DG

14 minutes ago, davegee said:

Gary,

We spoke about WORKFLOW earlier.

The workflow that I have adopted with regard to MOV and MP4 Files is to CONVERT from the FILE LIST (not the SLIDE LIST) and only add the Converted / Trimmed AVI to the Slide List.

The downside is that if everyone worked this way all the time there would be no BUGs to iron out :)

Your MP4 was already in the project - it should not have been - you should have been asked to convert when you dragged it in - were you?

Did you ignore it?

DG

Greetings Dave,

I really have tried not to ignore any advice. :)  But, workflows can be different for all of us. Yes, I have 'converted' video clips from the File List. But the problem that PTE creates is that you have no control over the 'bit rate' for the conversion. The Conversion usually boosts the bit rate, creating a larger file. Yes, I understand it is to make the playing of the videos to be smoother. However, file size has become very critical when we start using videos. The Slideshowclub has reduced its max file size from about 280 to 128 Mbs. So that too is a limiting factor to be aware of. (Igor has said he will address this but it has not happened yet).

So, I have tried several non-PTE video converter programs to trim and convert the MOV files to be as close to what PTE converts them to. And I try to keep the bit rate between 5 and 8 Mbps. The quality seems to still be acceptable and the file size is substantially less. My current project has about 135 slides, of which are 26 video clips. Therefore, size is a big concern.

The program I am using now to convert my MOVs is Videomizer. A free program that gets the job done. Not the best but it works. I am choosing their output format of 'HD-MP4 (MPEG4)' that seems to be very close to what PTE puts out, but I have control over the bit rate, and other things of the video clip. When I drop one of these converted video clips into the Slides, PTE does not ask to convert it. So it seems that  PTE is happy with this format.

What has been confusing is that there is a difference between 'MPEG-4 Part 2' and 'MPEG-4 Part 10'. 'MPEG-4 Part 2' seems to be similar, or the same, as 'MPEG-4 Visual', which is what PTE converts video clips to. But when you try to see what the format is of a video clip, you might see only 'MPEG-4' but you don't know if it is Part 2 or Part 10. Part 2 seems to be good, and  Part 10 bad for PTE.

I found this: "MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-4 Visual (formally ISO/IEC 14496-2) is a video compression format developed by MPEG. It belongs to the MPEG-4 ISO/IEC standards. ... MPEG-4 Part 10 is commonly referred to as H.264 or AVC, and was jointly developed by ITU-T and MPEG."

So, back to workflow. I understand that, to avoid bugs, if you use the PTE convert process, you should convert the video file from the File List, not in the Slides. But...Igor allows you to convert files that are already in the Slides (causing problems?). Perhaps this should be addressed.

And, yes, sometimes you want to swap a video clip that is already in the Slides with one in the File List. I now drag down the video clip next to the old clip and then removing the old video clip (in the Slides view), not using the 'Change video file' to avoid problems. Perhaps the problem with the filename not changing was only the fact that the old video was 'H264'. It did swap correctly but it just did not show the correct filename. Was that just because it was an H264? Did not happen in the past, I think.

I am attaching a MediaInfo screenprint of a PTE converted file to compare with a Videomizer file 'HD-MP4 (MPEG4)'. The formats look similar, with some differences. But it seems to work well in PTE. The bottom line is it would be much more useful for the PTE conversion process to allow for user input to select bit rates. Are the differences in the attached comparison of any concern?

Gary

Converted.jpg