WnSoft Forums

Transitions-Fade-not so good [SOLVED]

goddi

Greetings,

I've just about finished my latest project. At first I used the original out-of-the-camera sized images. I noticed that the fade transition was not as smooth as I've had with previous PTE versions. So I resized all the images to smaller sizes so as not to be to 'heavy' for the transitions in hopes they would smooth out.

But, when I create the MP4 at 30fps, it is still not a smooth fade. Very choppy. I had to create the MP4 at 60fps to get the fade transition to be smooth. In all previous projects, I have been using 30fps with the fade transition with no problems having a smooth transition.

Has there been any changes in the newest 10.0.6 version that might affect the transition quality?

Gary

I am curious if there are some changes, just like you ask. But I always make MP4 60 fps, not 30 fps, and everything runs smooth. Is there any reason for you to use 30 fps?

And I always use a high video bitrate, from 23 kbps till 40 kbps. What bitrate do you use?

Jose

Gary,

What encoding settings you use? Can you attach a screenshot?

I used 1920 x 1080, High quality, 30p.

When "Hardware acceleration" option is NOT used a visual quality of dissolving transition is very good and I see smooth playback even at 30p. Same result with video created in PTE 10.0.6 and PTE 9.0.22.

With Hardware acceleration (NVIDIA) dissolves are less smooth at 30p and it seems to be an issue/quality of NVIDIA encoder. I get same result with versions 10.0.6 and previous 10.0.5. Producing 60p video gives smooth results for dissolves.

I attach my test project and created videos:

https://send.firefox.com/download/2a73e9bd6270bf2d/#nMbFdlvmYayxh_H6XzYp7w

Jose, I try to keep the size of the MP4s as small as possible without losing quality. 60fps increases the MP4 file size a good bit. 30fps has always worked just fine for me in the past. I could not see any difference in the results between 30 and 60 fps..

With this current project, with reduced image file sizes, I made my standard 30fps MP4, the bit rate (BR) was 13.3Mb/s. File size: 1,751331 Kb. Transitions were not smooth.

I then tried 60fps. BR was 20.3 Mb/s. File size: 2,659,292 Kb. Changing the default from 30fps to 60fps, sort of got better but not great.

At '30fps-Custom Quality 50', BR was 15.0 Mb/s.  File size: 1,1,972,141 Kb.Transitions were better but not great.

At '30fps-Custom Quality 100', BR was 20.3 Mb/s. File size: 3,674,678 Kb. Transitions were smooth.

I don't like that I have to double the MP4's file size to now obtain smooth transitions. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I don't think I've varied from what I have been doing for past projects.

Gary

15 minutes ago, Igor said:

Gary,

When "Hardware acceleration" option is NOT used a visual quality of dissolving transition is very good and I see smooth playback even at 30p. Same result with video created in PTE 10.0.6 and PTE 9.0.22.

With Hardware acceleration (NVIDIA) dissolves are less smooth at 30p and it seems to be an issue/quality of NVIDIA encoder. I get same result with versions 10.0.6 and previous 10.0.5. Producing 60p video gives smooth results for dissolves.

Igor, I have normally used '30 fps and low quality' with HW and had not had problems with transitions as I am now having.

Interesting that not using HW give better transition results. I'll give that a try but I have been using HW in other projects and didn't notice this problem. But, I just took a look at my past project and I do see that the transitions are not too good and I did use HW. So it seems the advantage of HW's speed is now lost to avoid this problem?

Yes, I see with your example that HW degrades the fade transition. Really too bad. I'll go back and recreate my current project without HW and see how it turns out.

Thanks for your reply.

Gary

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Gary,

Igor, I just rePublished my project using '1920x1080, low quality, 30p, NO HW' and the transitions are now smooth. Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this concern.

Seems I won't be using HW until NVDIA comes up with better encoder.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

Low quality mode will give really bad results. Even without HW acceleration. I very recommend you avoid "Low quality" mode and I'm even going to remove it from PTE 11.

CPU encoder gives better visual results than HW encoder, especially at Medium or Low quality. With High quality a difference is less visible.

35 minutes ago, Igor said:

Gary,

Low quality mode will give really bad results. Even without HW acceleration. I very recommend you avoid "Low quality" mode and I'm even going to remove it from PTE 11.

CPU encoder gives better visual results than HW encoder, especially at Medium or Low quality. With High quality a difference is less visible.

Igor, I just rePublished my project both ways, Low Quality and Medium Quality. I really don't see a difference on my 4K monitor, as long as HW is unchecked.

The only difference I see is that the LQ has a BR of 8.742 and MQ has a BR of 14.4. With the higher bit rate, I'd expect to see some difference. But I'll keep an eye on this. The use of HW does have a negative effect with transitions, but does reduce the Publishing time. I'll use it for viewing of drafts and uncheck HW only for the final output.

Please let us know if you find an upgrade for NVIDIA so we can use HW.

Thanks... Gary