WnSoft Forums

Hardware Acceleration + fade transition [SOLVED]

goddi

Greetings,

I have been going back to older shows and updating them. I noticed that when I Publish HD videos and I use the Hardware Acceleration, 30p, the fade transition is not so good. When I do it at 60p, it much better. Then I Published it at 30p without HWA and it looked as good as the 60p.

So what is the purpose of HWA? Is it only to process the file faster and lose some transition quality?

I could just use 60p with HWA but I'd like to keep the file size down as best I can. So should I just use 30p without HWA?

Gary

Hi Gary,

With "Hardware acceleration" option PTE AV Studio uses hardware video encoder from graphics card (NVIDIA, AMD or Intel).

Benefits: usually works faster, CPU is not used, CPU stays cool and silent.

Negative effect: visual quality worse, file size larger on 5-10%.

Hardware acceleration gives better visual quality on NVIDIA graphics (Geforce 1030 or newer) than on AMD / Intel.

I recommend to use Hardware acceleration for a draft (or preview). Or when you encode very long project and you want to save time. Or when you encode video for YouTube and you can set a higher bitrate to keep good visual quality. YouTube always re-encodes video, so a size of an original file has no matter.

Greetings Igor,

I think we talked about this a long time ago, and had forgotten.

I have an NVidia GEForce GTX1070. Using HWA with 30fps does reduce the fade transition quality. So, I will uncheck HWA and use 30fps for most shows; probably 60fps if it has video clips for the final Publish.

I do upload my shows to my Facebook and my YouTube channel, so I did not quite understand you last statement. Do you mean it does not matter how you encode if you do this as far as the final quality for FB or YT? Will they all come out the same when they re-encode them? Or using 60fps will come out better than 30fps? What is the best Publish setting for uploads to FB and YT?

Thanks...

Gary

1 minute ago, rosy said:

I Un tick HWA 100% of the time. Most of my shows are 90% video. Seems to work OK for me, particularly when fading from one video to the next.:P

Rosy

BTW Happy Dhristmas to everyone, keep Omicron free.

Rosy, Do you use 30fps or 60fps?

Gary

Gary,

YouTube and Facebook always re-encode uploaded videos. It means that you can use a high bitrate (or high quality) setting in PTE AV Studio. Hardware encoders should produce a good visual results with high bitrate (or high quality) setting.

You can try "Custom" mode and choose Quality as "150" (type this value manually) instead of "100" by default. Alternatively you can try with manual bitrate mode, say 20 mbit for FullHD video. 

I don't know what settings you used to encode video when you observed visual issues at 30p videos.

Also tell me why you create 30p video when 60p gives better smoothness? 

P.S. If you compare original video and final result on YouTube you should notice that YT uses very agressive compression. I observe banding, issues with fades, visual artefacts on moving objects, and blurry picture.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:52 AM, Igor said:

Gary,

YouTube and Facebook always re-encode uploaded videos. It means that you can use a high bitrate (or high quality) setting in PTE AV Studio. Hardware encoders should produce a good visual results with high bitrate (or high quality) setting.

You can try "Custom" mode and choose Quality as "150" (type this value manually) instead of "100" by default. Alternatively you can try with manual bitrate mode, say 20 mbit for FullHD video. 

I don't know what settings you used to encode video when you observed visual issues at 30p videos.

Also tell me why you create 30p video when 60p gives better smoothness? 

P.S. If you compare original video and final result on YouTube you should notice that YT uses very agressive compression. I observe banding, issues with fades, visual artefacts on moving objects, and blurry picture.

Greetings Igor,

I have used 30fps to have a smaller file size. Though, now I'll switch to 60fps to get better smoothness. I do see the difference in the fade transition. This was a habit I had when trying to upload to the SlideShowClub, which as a size limit. So now I upload shows to my Facebook and YouTube channel. I'll also experiment with your other suggestions. Thanks.

Gary

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Gary,

Do you use 1920 x 1080, High quality, 30p/60p template? Not Custom mode, right?

Greetings Igor,

I normally have used 1920 x 1080, 30p, but low quality. I've tried high quality but I have not seen the difference, so I use low quality to keep the file size down. But I will try to use 60p because I do see a difference in the fade transition.

Gary

Gary,

A difference between High and Low quality is significant. The most likely the Dissolve transition suffers due to Low quality mode.

When I tested the hardware encoder on NVIDIA graphics, I noticed that the Dissolve transition improves when I add a bitrate (Low mode sets lower bitrate value than High mode).

I recommend to check again with High mode.

Greetings Igor,

I did a test where I Published a project that was only an 8 minute video clip. It is an analog video clip from a High8 camera that was digitized. So the quality was not really great to start with (720x480).

I Published this project it at 30fpsLQ and 30fpsMQ and 60fpsHQ.

There is a pretty good difference in file sizes. However, I could not really see any big difference in quality. And, strangely enough, I thought the 30fpsLQ was a little better than the 60fpsHQ, not much, but I could detect a slight difference.

LimpopoCompare.thumb.jpg.b9ba8ac7b51f82cd948ae27adf95906c.jpg

Gary

Gary,

Usually a difference is noticeable when you encode a video recorded with a good digital camera, or PTE AV Studio project with pictures. Not sure about High8 camera. 

P.S. I purchased Topaz Video Enhance Ai to recover old videos, it removes noise, performs good interlacing to progressive converting, and upscales in 2x (HD to 4K, or DVD to HD).

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Gary,

Can I mark this topic as SOLVED?

Yes, Igor. It has been an interesting discussion. There are so many different ways to produce a show, especially when it comes to video clips, and older analog video clips. Just today, I realized that many years ago I had produced DVDs using PTE of this same trip. I had totally forgot and really now don't remember how I did it. The DVDs look good but I am going to convert them to MP4s to re-do them in PTE. So much to learn...and to remember.

Thanks...Gary

• Igor changed the title to Hardware Acceleration + fade transition [SOLVED]