WnSoft Forums

Add 'Trim Ending of Video' function

Greetings,

The primary method of trimming video is to use the 'Convert/Trim Video Clip' function. It allows you to trim the beginning and ending of video clips.

There is another trimming function, 'Trim Beginning of Video' when you are in the Timeline. This is handy because you don't have to go through the Convert process that you have to do with the other method. But it is only for trimming the beginning of a video clip.

I suggest that it would be useful to also have 'Trim Ending of Video', too. When these functions are used, you don't have to go through the 'Convert' process. It cuts the sections immediately. And after doing it multiple times to the same clip, the remaining sections can then be strung together. Having both of these functions would make it easier and quicker when you want to trim out portions in the middle of the clip

Gary

TrimBeginning.jpg

Greetings Jill,

I understand that we can do that. But it just makes sense that if you have a function for the beginning, you should have one for the end of the video clip. One of my concerns is, if you have a video clip that is, say, an hour long. You'd have to find the end and drag the following slide to your point of the edit. Why not just have a 'Trim End of Video'?

Also, I am wondering if you do just drag the following slide to the position you want, as you suggest, and the video is a very long one, will the final Published project be larger than it would if you had actually trimmed off that section? Not sure, haven't tried it yet.

And if you want to trim out multiple sections within a long video, dragging the end of following slide for each edit would really be too many extra clicks. Wouldn't be bad for short video clips, but why not just have that function available to trim the end of the video, too? Then you only have to assemble the clipped out sections.

Gary

Gary, you don't drag the end.
In Timeline just position the playhead & add the next slide/video at that point, very quick & easy.

Even if you trim front & back by using Adjust Time range in O&A the video will still be the original length.
You are just adding instructions on what to show, which is why you can always go back & alter it at a later date.

If you are using lots of video then you should be publishing as an MP4 not an exe

With an exe the file size will be dependant on the original file size of the videos.

But even if you use multiple parts from 1 video it will only be included once in the final file size.

With your method of converting before hand and adding multiple seperate video files to the project,
you could actually end up with a larger file size than by simply adding the one video & triming in Timeline/O&A

Hope this helps

Jill

1 hour ago, jkb said:

Gary, you don't drag the end.
In Timeline just position the playhead & add the next slide/video at that point, very quick & easy.

Yes, I understand that. But 'Trim the Beginning of Video' only removes the beginning of the video clip. If that is the only thing you want to do, OK. But if you want to trim out sections of the remaining clip, 'Trim the Beginning Video' will not help.

Even if you trim front & back by using Adjust Time range in O&A the video will still be the original length.
You are just adding instructions on what to show, which is why you can always go back & alter it at a later date.

Yes. You have to reset the length of the new shorter clip.

If you are using lots of video then you should be publishing as an MP4 not an exe

With an exe the file size will be dependant on the original file size of the videos.

I don't use exe anymore. Only MP4s.

But even if you use multiple parts from 1 video it will only be included once in the final file size.

I did a test. I put the same video clip in twice. Nothing else. I compared the results of having it in once and having it in twice, after Publishing them.

The video clip inserted only once: 27MB and 27 secs.

The same video clip inserted twice: 46.3 Mb and 55 secs.

So, if the same clip is included twice, it is included twice in the size results, not just once.

With your method of converting before hand and adding multiple seperate video files to the project,
you could actually end up with a larger file size than by simply adding the one video & triming in Timeline/O&A

Not sure what you are referring to. I am not necessarily 'converting before hand'. Whether you do or not is not part of the question. I just want to be able to first trim out the ending of a video clip (retaining a beginning portion). Then bring the original clip down again into the Timeline. Then use 'Trim beginning of Video' to get rid of the portion I already have. Then move cursor to the next cut point and 'Trim the ending video'. Continue to do this to retain the sections of the video you want. Each section can then be more accurately trimmed, if needed, using the Adjust Time Range. And, having short separate clips allows to more easily add still images between each clip, if wanted.

I don't understand the reticence to add this function. I think adding it would be more intuitive, and just another way to work with videos.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your points...

Gary

Hope this helps

Jill

Gary it isn't physically triming, it is only setting the point for the video to start playing.

When you add your 2nd clip you also 'trim' that to the start point you want and so on

It really is very quick & easy to do.
Have a try.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Yes, it is a way to do it. I still think that it would be useful to also have 'Trim the Ending of Video'. Quick and easy function to save a section from the middle of a video clip. If you have '...Beginning...', then you should have '...Ending...'

Gary