WnSoft Forums

New computer - terrible problem with video files inside PTEAV [SOLVED]

mhwarner

Just upgraded my laptop to a brand new Windows 11 machine.  When I open an existing project (or if I create a new one) in PTEAV, it does not preview .mp4 files properly. I am talking only about videos created with my camera or with my phone.  Most are  4K, but several have been edited and are 1080p.  The videos are jerky, choppy, stuttering and just plain look like crap!  This is within the program preview window and the full screen preview.  

Not only that, if I close PTEAV down, then try to look at any video files downloaded from my camera or my phone after that, they all look just as bad.  I have tried with the native "Movies and TV" app and with VLC media player.  However, if I reboot the computer and DO NOT open PTEAV, then there is no problem and the files play just as smoothly as they should.

Surprisingly, if I publish just some of the jerky videos in PTEAV to 1920 x 1080p High Quality 60p, the resulting .mp4 files look ok (after I have rebooted).  

Just FYI, the very same files and the very same PTE show that I have been working on have no problem on my 4 year old computer which is Win 10, 16 GB memory and Intel Core I7 8th gen processor and a Radeon TM 530 and Intel Graphics.

This new machine has the following specs:

Device name    MW_XPS_15
Processor    12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900HK   2.50 GHz
Installed RAM    64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Graphics:

Intel Iris Xe Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU

Just to be sure, I disconnected my large Dell monitor to see if there was just some sort of issue between the computer and external monitor and the videos are still a problem on just the laptop's monitor itself.  Both the laptop screen and the external monitor are 3840 x 2160.

Is there a setting or preference I need to change within PTEAV or on my system to get rid of this problem, or is it some sort of bug?  It is very frustrating considering how much I paid for this laptop that I am having this problem and there is no similar problem on a  4 year old machine with far lesser specs.  I have several slideshows that I need to create and have spent a full day scouring the internet to be sure it wasn't some sort of Windows 11 issue, but I couldn't find anything and again, it only happens if I open PTEAV, play some videos within a slideshow and then close it down.

HELP!

It may be something to do with the Dual graphics.

We had this problem a long time ago and it was to do with an Intel driver, although Microsoft would never admit to the problem.

Make sure you have the latest Intel drivers, even though it is a new laptop the drivers could still be old.

Not used Win 11, but if VLC is also cauing a problem then it must be graphics related.

Jill

The most likely this problem is related with incorrectly working graphics drivers. Check Windows Update centre for the new Intel and NVIDIA drivers.

If Windows Update doesn't offer new drivers, please contact to the shop (service centre) to get instructions how to manually update these drivers.

My problem with videos seems to have disappeared.  I did not update any drivers (Device Manager says they are current anyway) or make any other changes.  I opened and closed PTEAV multiple times, rebooted the computer several times,  loaded a few older slideshows which had no videos in them  and previewed them with no issues. Finally reopened PTEAV, loaded the slideshow which was showing choppy videos, previewed it, etc.  No problems whatsoever.  Closed PTEAV and also had no problems with any existing videos on my computer.  

So it seems like there was something running in the background that may have been causing the issue.  I have no idea what as I did search through Task Manager and Resource Monitor at the time but found nothing.  Hopefully, the problem is gone for good.  If it comes back, I'll see if there are updated drivers offered at that time.  For now, my Dell Support Assist says all my drivers are up to date as well.  So I am leaning toward some sort of conflict with another program or process rather than drivers.  Or possibly a gremlin snuck into the computer while I wasn't looking.  :)

Thanks for the prompt responses from both Jill and Igor.  

• Like 1

• Igor changed the title to New computer - terrible problem with video files inside PTEAV [SOLVED]