WnSoft Forums

Images in Webp format

Igor

Hi,

I'd like to remind that PTE AV Studio 10.5 supports images in WEBP format. A great benefit of this format is a transparency (alpha channel) with a lossy compression, like a JPEG. It allows to save very compact files with transparency.

PNG with a transparenct is an old good solution. But it doesn't works well for a compression of photo realistic images with transparency. Usually file is very large, due to lossless compression.

WEBP offers possibility of lossy compression like a JPEG keeping transparency layer. These photo realistic images usually smaller than PNG in 3-10 times. A very good idea to use them in slide styles or EXE shows.

If your image editing app doesn't support export to a WEBP format, you can use a free online image editor/converter: photopea.com

• Like 2

This is something that I have missed entirely and after a few tests this morning I find it makes an enormous difference, with no impact on quality that would offend me.

Even if the smallest possible Png file size is used, it can be many MB greater than the WebP equivalent, even when saved at WebP quality 100%. Reduce WebP to 80% and even greater savings are available while retaining great quality.

This is worth attention

• Like 3

7 hours ago, denisb said:

Hi,

webp can also replace animated gif with the same advantage of photo, but PTE AV Studio don't support it.

Maybe, it would be a good improvement for an exe.

Denis

A good suggestion. Regrettably the code library which we use for decoding webp images doesn't support animated WEBP format, yet.