WnSoft Forums

Screen Resolution Settings

Ronniebootwest

Don't all groan, I am not posting the same old thing about resolution. I make CD tutorials and until recently have always used 800x600 resolution to record them. I am currently working on a CD tutorial project for learning PTE and wonder if I am just a little old fashioned if I use the small 800X600 - I would much prefer to provide higher quality video recording with a screen resolution of 1024x768.

So my question is this, "What screen resolution is your monitor set to please"

Ron

Hi:

I'm using 1024x768 on a 17" wide screen lap top. Wonder if anyone else is using a 17" wide screen?? I kinda miss my 17" square monitor... well, a little bit :rolleyes: Bob..

Both monitor (17" flat screen) and projector 1024 x 768.

Ron [uK]

Screen Size -v- Resolution,

I note that Igor is using 800 x 600 on a 15" Screen and to my certain knowledge there are hundreds of 12" and 14" Screen on smaller Laptops and Mini-PC's in daily use through out the World.

This 'boils back down' to numerous requests from Members relative to the new version of PTE :- In that it should maintain 'Screen Size Ratios' irrespective what Monitor one is using.

Then we have the problem of 'Web Pictures' where the agreed ISP Standard is 640 x 480 on virtually all Commercial Web Pages ~ but one can push that upwards to 800 x 600 with little loss, but going over that one can loose a considerable amount of Picture information and support Text.

I guess at the end of the day, it's all down to what method Ronnie is going to use to distribute his Tutorials ?...but one thing is sure, PTE needs to provide 'Standards Size Ratios' and I for one hope it comes soon.

Just some thoughts....

Brian.Conflow.

quote from pcworld

Hot Pics *

Get published, get famous! Each week, we select our favorite reader-submitted photo based on creativity, originality, and technique. Every month, the best of the weekly winners gets a prize valued at between $10 and $100.

A gentle reminder, folks: We disqualify some really wonderful pictures every week because the submissions don't follow the rules. Be sure to include everything we ask for in your e-mail message, including a description of your picture and your complete contact information, or your entry is wasted!

Here's how to enter: JPEG format at a resolution no higher than 640 by 480 pixels Entries at higher resolutions will be immediately disqualified. If necessary, use an image editing program to reduce the file size of your image before e-mailing it to us. Include the title of your photo along with a short description and how you photographed it. Don't forget to send your name, e-mail address, and postal address. Before entering, please read the full description of the contest rules and regs at:

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,...8,tk,dfx,00.asp

This Week's Hot Pic: "Flying Circle," by Thornton T. Penrose, Loretto, Virginia

Thornton says: "This is a picture of gulls circling on a beach on the Outerbanks of North Carolina. To get this photo, I spend 15 minutes throwing bread up into the air and letting them perform for us."

Thornton used a Nikon D70 Digital SLR with a 28-55mm zoom lens.

To view the photo, go to:

http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/screencams/flyingcircle.jpg

i get the pictures weekly and use them to test each p2e update -- show is getting pretty big :) and burn them to dvd -- IMHO nothing wrong with them on a 29" tv

ken

Hi Ken,

The information about the 'Photo Competition' is appreciated ~ But please excuse me if I have missed something ?....What has this got to do with 'Ronnies Survey' concerning 'Picture Size' for his proposed PTE Tutorials ???.........

Did you post to the wrong Forum ?

Brian.Conflow

Hi Ken,

Gottya, my apology ~ The point you were making was buried within the 'body text' of the Photo Competition article ~ which in itself 'threw me' as it did not seem relevant to Ronnies' Post.

Ken is there any chance you might 'Highlight or Expand' that particular 'Web Rule' as I am sure (like me) many people may have missed that very important point which is so relevant to Ronnies request...

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Ron,

I know I'm slowly going blind because of it, but I prefer 1280 x 960 on both my 23" CRT and the 19" second screen (also CRT).

1024x768, while optimum for the majority of PTE shows posted on various web sites, doesn't seem to give me the elbow-room I seem to need, even with a dual monitor setup.

At this rate, though, it won't be long before I'm back to an 800x600 configuration just like Ken's and Igor's. :rolleyes:

Well folks! so far it certainly looks as if there are very few using the 800x600 setup. There seems to be an abundance of 1024x768 with the higher resolutions reserved for the few.

Interesting to note that Igor and Ken use 800x600 though. I am also aware that Granot (Thailand) uses the 800x600 screen and he and I have often discussed the merits for this. All of his programs and utilities are designed to run in 800x600 mode.

I think that I will settle for 1024x768 for my tutorials. By the way, have you tried any yet?

My Webpage

Igor and Ken use 800x600

Well, now we can say "Igor, Ken and Granot use 800x600".

That's it ?

Only three of us ?

One thing we have to remember that it is logical that PTE users will have bigger screen but PTE users are not a criterion, unless your presentations are targeted to PTE users. I read a survey that indicated that most people do not use bigger that 800x600.

Now, when you make a big presentation, are you sure everyone will see it the same way as you on your 1024x768 ?

Granot

Guest Techman1

On my previous website, the majority of the people visiting use 1024x768 and higher. Only about 1% of the visitors were using 800x600. As a result, I'm currently revamping my site to that screen resolution. I plan on putting a statement that this site best viewed at 1024x768 or higher at the bottom. I know that 1% of my visitors may not like it as much, but the other 99% will probably like it better.

Ron, good luck on your decision whichever you decide to use. Also, I visited your site it's looking very good. Are you going to put up any examples so people checking out your tutorials will have a better understanding of what it is you are offering? I think it might help you sell more. Anyway, that's just my opinion (for what it's worth - not much normally ;) ).

Good luck again!

Fred

Techman1 (Fred)

Hello, thanks for your comments. Reckon I will copy your idea and will put a note about 'best viewed at 1024x768' on my index page as well.

I agree that putting an example of my videos, perhaps a short flash file, is a good idea. At the moment I don't think that my allocation of just 1gb of bandwidth will take it though. The main reason, if I am to be totally honest, is I just don't know how to make and upload these sample videos :(

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ron