WnSoft Forums

External player problems

deep6

My compter won't play any shows that have been made using the external player option for music.

My computer exceeds all of the hardware and software requirements of the program but I get a black screen followed by a techical error report when I try to play such shows.

I e-mailed customer support and they recomended that I uninstall and reinstall the pic2exe program which I did but it still doesn't work unless I create a show with the internal player.

What is wrong????

We're going to need more info. Like size of show, picture size, music file size, configuration of the computer, etc.

Remember, the requirements for PTE are for PTE, not the requirements for the shows you run. You may have all the system requirements to make the show, but the show is so large that it exceeds your system resources.

jayspry

My computer is Pentium2, 467mhz, 10 gig hard, 320 meg RAM, 8meg savage 4 video card.

Software as per requirements for Directx and internet explorer are all exceeded.

Operating system is Windows XP professional.

As to the size of the show being a factor I have tried to run small shows with only 3 or 4 pictures and I am not able to play or preview them unless I use the inernal player. I have created large 10 meg shows with the external player that work well.

Also if I don't use mp3 music both internal and external players work but when I use mp3's I must use the internal player or shows won't play.

Why are mp3's stopping me from being able to view shows with the external player?

Deep6,

Are you able to listen to mp3's other than through PTE? What happens when you double-click on an mp3 file outside of PTE? Windows Media Player (or some other player designated as default for mp3's, such as the one which came with your sound card) should open and play the music. Maybe the problem is with the player you have selected as the default for mp3. Try making Windows Media Player the default if it is not already.

1. What does mean "music files other than mp3's"? Wav? Wma?

ans. I have tried Wav with the external player with no problems but mp3 won't work.

2. The problem may appear if you have old version of mp3 codec. So, 'Internal WAV/MP3 player' helps to solve this problem very often.

3. Are you able to listen to mp3's other than through PTE? What happens when you double-click on an mp3 file outside of PTE? Windows Media Player (or some other player designated as default for mp3's, such as the one which came with your sound card) should open and play the music. Maybe the problem is with the player you have selected as the default for mp3. Try making Windows Media Player the default if it is not already.

ans. Windows media player is my default player and I use it to make my own mp3 music cd's. It plays all mp3's I have ever loaded on to it.

4. And as best I recall, early versions of "Xing" sound engine(?) codec (?) etc. , or even remnants of the same, would cause some problems as you describe

ans. "Xing sound engine? Never hear of it. Do I need it?

Summary. Mp3's will play on all aspects of my computer such as media player, CD Burning software etc. Only shows created by pic2exe won't work with mp3's unless I use the internal player. Unfortunately people have sent me shows created with an external player and I can't play them either.

Doesn't sound like an antiquated codec problem since you are using XP and other mp3's seem to work ok.

Might have something to do with the fact that it's a P-II, or a video card with not enough RAM, and putting too heavy a load on the processor, so that it can't handle both pictures and music.

I'm afraid I've run out of ideas - maybe someone more knowledgable can help??

deep6, no you do not need any "Xing", and I can't even tell you how to search to see if you have anything of it. Probably not on your machine. Actually, maybe someone recently did give some specifics of how to search for the files or settings that may have come from Xing. But for now, I hope Igor's input above will be the solution. But it also seems significant that your machine also won't play shows from other machines if the PTE was created to use the external player.

I tried Beta#5 and am having the same problem. Since I can't view shows produced on other computers that used the external player I didn't expect a different Pic2exe program to make a difference as you don't need the program to play a .exe show.

It seems to me that for some reason the shows are not able to access my external player/codecs to play mp3's.

I tried Beta#5 and am having the same problem...

...as expected.

The problem is not in PTE, but in some system setting of your machine. Not sure in your hardware: I often use P2 machines with 64 (!) MB Ram, old video cards (8 MB) and old sound cards (SoundBlaster 16), and all works. Not perfectly, sure, but works!

I'm sure the new player announced by Igor will work very well, but will not solve your problem when you want run all previous shows made by forum members.

I would like to understand what doesn't work in your system. May I send you a little presentation-test (not larger than 5-600 KB) made expressly to test your system?

Guido,

Doesn't he need an updated Windows Media Player? I seem to recall a problem using older version. I guess that would depend on how long ago he installed his version of XP, if he has done any updating and whether or not it was an upgrade or a clean install.

I'm also not sure if there is not a conflict between players; i.e. Real Player and Windows Media Player.

jayspry

This could be right, Jays, but as the OS is WinXP it seems very strange that Win Media Player is NOT updated... And anyhow it PLAYS Mp3s!

As to conflict between two players, all is possible. But I had many times Media Player together with Winamp, Sonique, Audioactive, Mp3Pro Player, RealAudio, and never had problems. Even now I have Winamp as main player, but also Media Player 7.01 and Real...

Yes. Windows media player is the default player.

The only exception to this rule is if I right click a music file. In this case a program from ACDSee viewer called picaview plays the song as a preview for me. This allows me to hear it prior to deleating, moving or renaming it.

The picaview player is also capable of playing all mp3's.

Yes, I suspect that may be your problem.

Your slide show "Tundra" ran almost flawlessly on my pc. There was only one minute glitch, caused, I suspect, by too tight a timing between one of the transitions and the time allowed. Nice show, though! And set in one of the most beautiful places on the globe! (but then I'm somewhat biased!) :huh:

I've found Windows Media Player to be a little lacking in MP3 compatibility. For me, it'll play some but not all, and I have the latest one as well. Are you able to separately play these particular MP3s (that were used in the shows) with Windows Media Player? I would suggest that you could install a better MP3 player, perhaps WinAmp or MusicMatch.