WnSoft Forums

Can't copy files to another location...this time from a CD...new location won't be recognized

goddi

Greetings,

Previously, I had this problem copying files from a folder in a hard drive to another location on the hard drive. It was solved by temporarily renaming the original location's folder name.

However, this time I have a very old show that was put on a CD. All the images, music and .pte files. After I copy all the files to my hard drive from the CD, all the files show up in PTE but none are highlighted. I removed the CD so the .pte could not refer to its old location but that did not help. I poked around and found that none of the images show 'Main object 1', each one is blank.

If I change them to show 'Main object 1', that image then shows up highlighted. So my question is, is there a way to change all the images to show 'Main object 1', so I don't have to do one-by-one?

Another thing I noticed that 'File Info' for the images does not work until I change it to 'Main object 1'. Then it shows the new location. Not sure what that means...

Gary

Gary, if this is a very old show, it was most likely made with an early version of PTE before we had 'Main Image' numbers

From what I remember Igor said to open old shows in PTE8 first, save it, then open in a later version.
This may explain the problems you are finding.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

The show was made back in 2003. I don't have PTE8 anymore. Any other way to do a batch change for the images to be 'Main object 1'?

Kinda strange I can't just save the .pte with the new location and have it stick.

Gary

Greetings,

I d/l'd version 8. It showed the files in the File List but would not populate the Slide List. I tried 10.5, too, but same problem. I've got over 200 slides in this one show so I don't look forward to having to do one-by-one to make each a 'Main object 1'.

It won't even let me drag an image into the Slide List.

Gary

I've not had any problems opening older shows as far as I can remember, but it's not something I do that often.

Also most of mine are set up as Templates, so I just open them from the Template list within PTE.

Maybe Igor will pick this up tomorrow & come up with an answer.

To be honest I never look at 'Main Object' or to see which images are highlighted in the FileList, so I wouldn't notice if there was a problem.

Jill

Hi Gary,

Try the suggestion of Jill. Open your old project in PTE 8. Save the project under a new file name. And then open this updated project in V11. It will help to solve this issue. I just checked it.

It seems that since V9, PTE doesn't convert main images to main objects for very old projects (saved V4.xx and earlier).|
All the project looks correctly opened in V11, just a main image of a slide doesn't have an option "Main object" that comlicates certain editings.

I'm not sure if it worths to fix it now after so many years.

P.S. If you cannot find your license for V8, let me know. I'll send you it.

Greetings Igor,

I did install V8 and tried to open the old project. However, the Slide List does not automatically populate with the images. If I drag down an image, it is just a black image with an error message. Gary

PTE8error.thumb.jpg.4b4f3214683a628bd550f4d7d66959b8.jpg

Greetings Igor,

I see that I can easily use F12 to advance each image while in O&A and select Main Object 1 for each image, so it will just take some time to do this.

But I think I will be able to bring it back into V11 to do some editing and rework the project.

Gary

1 hour ago, goddi said:

F12 to advance each image while in O&A

I didn't know this worked.

But there are arrow keys at the top right in O&A it quickly advance or go back through the images.

1 hour ago, goddi said:

a black image with an error message

If you show Thumbnails in the Filelist, do you see the images? Or do they all show black?

Jill

Greetings Igor and Jill,

Yes, I tried 8.0.23. If I show Thumbnails in Filelist, the images all show up and the file info does show they are pointing to the correct location.

I also just tried V565, it won't even open the .pte file. See below.

Yes, I know of the arrow key to advance the images in O&A, I just think it is easier to use the F12 each time than the mouse. One finger on F12 and one on the mouse to select 'Main object'.

Gary

PTE564error.jpg.54bd73ad3b57d6a1ffe523ebe7fd8834.jpg