WnSoft Forums

Web Site

stonemason

Very well presented site Geoff. :)

Well done.

I particularly enjoyed your galleries and all photos loaded very quickly indeed.

Some super shots, especially the Natural History. :D

BW Maureen

Hi my web site is up and running, would appreciate some feedback please

stonemason

Hello Geoff:

Judging websites is subjective (like art) - So in essence there is no true right or wrong way to designing something that suits you and ultimately you have a sense of satisfaction with.

I will however offer a mild suggestion or two.

More cosmetic than anything else -

1). Your layout is straightforward and easy to follow (That's a good thing) Personally for me, I like the fact there is "white space" between your content - too often, designs include a perceived need that all pages must be filled with something to the brim. In my opinion less is more and visually more appealing.

2). Your use of the "PILL" buttons for navigation is pleasing to the eye without overwhelming the function or the simplistic nature of the button (That's a good thing) I would suggest using a contrast (light color) for the rollover highlight, the current color is a little dark and not quite suited for the hue used as the background color for the button. (Minor issue)

3). Your galleries again are organized well and easy to follow and comprehend (That's a good thing)

4). I would suggest staying with the font size used in the gallery (or even use something like a 10-12point size. I looked at your website at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 and the self-bio page font size was HUGE!

In my opinion a bit oversized (the body of the text).

5). Also you are obviously using frames - which in and of itself is fine, I would however suggest removing the "show border" attribute, so when the page loads the frame "seams" aren't appearing, makes for a more polished look. Also the menu "frame" includes a scroll bar that given the amount of information shown as well as the spacing there really is no need for that scrollbar. I would suggest tightening up the gap from the navigation to the link at the bottom, get rid of some of the extra blank spaces and the scrollbar should go away - you can also force the scrollbar to NOT appear at all. (again a minor thing)

That's it - your colors are again neutral to not interfere with either the message or the images and that's a good thing - your overall appearance and concept gets high marks for your efforts.

BTW - I offer these opinions from a professional perspective - I design websites, CG and application interfaces for a living (among other things) and your website meets the standard for being acceptable throughout.

Good luck with your endeavor. (Also please note in this post, all spelling is NOT the King's English, but rather American, my apologies ;) )

Kind Regards,

FX Designer :)

Ken,

very much enjoyed my visit to your site. In particular I liked your landscapes. By an odd coincidence, I was at Arncliffe only a few days ago, number 3 son has recently moved to near Skipton, and I took some shots of that same barn and of the bridge. Unfortunately, on the day I was there, the weather turned foul; but, even even under heavy rain, the place has an undiminishable beauty about it.

Best wishes

John

I too enjoyed a visit to your site. I hustled right over when I saw your reference to "senior moment." The term does have a certain market appeal to some demographic segments. :D

I also appreciated the constructive critique from FxDesigner. I like to learn while enjoying.

My compliments to your "creative gallery". Good implementation of fun ideas.

Do you also intend to post some PTE shows on your site?

Thanks to all for your comments on my site they are very much appreciated, especially those from FxDesigner, as being self taught I am always keen to learn from others. LumenLux, I don't have enough web space or bandwidth to host my own AVs, however Bill has kindley allowed me to put a show on Beechbrooke Cottage occasionaly, for which I am very grateful. My AV Bressingham in Bloom is posted in the presentation section of the forum at the moment. I have had over 100 visits to my site since posting it on Friday.

Again many thanks to all

regards

stonemason

Geoff,

I am a self-taught do-it-yourself web designer, as I imagine you are too, and I enjoyed surfing through your new site. You have a remarkable collection of excellent wildlife and nature images. Very aesthetically pleasing site, informative, and easy to navigate! Do you use Adobe's "ImageReady" for the design and programming of the navigation buttons?

Hi Al

Thanks for your kind comments, the buttons were done in photoshop, with one layer style applied to the normal state, then saved as a gif. I then moved the text 4 pixels right and 2 pixels down applied a different layer style to the text, and saved as the over state. The finished rollover button was the created in the web site software.

regards

Geoff