WnSoft Forums

No Videocodec "PicturesToExe"

Adda

There is no Videocodec "PicturesToExe" on the list of the Videocodecs on my computer.

Also after deiinstalling and reinstalling the software (V5 latest Beta, but before also).

Igor, can you help me, please?

Thank you very much.

Andreas

post-159-1156310544_thumb.jpg

I think that I have the same problem.

My method of creating a DVD in the past (on my Laptop running XP Home....) has been to create the Temp file, open ROXIO 8 and then create an ISO file from the Temp file for later burning to DVD. This always worked successfully.

On my new desktop (running XP Media .... and everything else the same) I get as far as trying to create the ISO file at which an error is encountered and stops the process. I can play the Temp file but cannot create the ISO file.

Any help greatly appreciated.

DaveG.

There is no Videocodec "PicturesToExe" on the list of the Videocodecs on my computer.

Also after deiinstalling and reinstalling the software (V5 latest Beta, but before also).

Igor, can you help me, please?

Thank you very much.

Andreas

I am definately not an expert, but here are some comments which may help. Video codecs are generally installed on your computer as a result, either of installing particular programs which include in-built codecs, or by installing special codec packs. If you use the free software "AVIcodecs" which you can get here :

http://avicodec.duby.info/

you will be able to see what codecs are available on your computer. Running AVIcodecs will show whether the ptecodec is available as it will show in the list of available codecs as ID - ptev. I think that this codec came as part of the original installation of PTE. Thus if you re-install a previous version of PTE, you may get the codec back again.

Just a general point about installing both previous versions of PTe and the beat versions of Version 5. I have both installed on my computer in separate directories. However if I look at the list of installed programs using "Control panel" "Add/Remove Programs", I can only see the latest beta version and Version 4.48 is not shown.

Jeff

I could be wrong but the PicturestoExe codec is not your everyday codec.

The codec itself is not used to make an AVI file instead the codec "frameserves" to a third party application to either view video or write to a DVD. Frameserving as I understand makes the third party application think that PTE has already created a full AVI file but instead PTE feeds the AVI information directly to the third party application without ever making a AVI file.

This is also why when you close PTE you can't see your AVI file you think you have made.

However you can make an AVI file using a non PTE codec in the custom mode of "Making an AVI Video File" option box. Lin Evans recommends (and I agree) the Microsoft MPEG 4 Codec which gives excellent results as long you crank up the quality settings on the codec (from my experience).

In short if PTE isn't open I don't think the PTE Codec exists in a state that can actually be used.

My Codec list in XP says the PTE Codec isn't available but I can still burn DVD's without using custom mode in PTE.

You need this file in XP to act as the codec for PTE. If it's missing then that's probably why it's not working.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ptevideo.dll

Screenshot from Sherlock.

post-2058-1156326823_thumb.jpg

I have created a few ISO images using PTEv5b5 and MovieFactory 4 and they played fine. Not sure why you are unable to create an ISO image file.

tom

There is definitly no ptevideo.dll in my system32-folder.

Video-Encoding does not work correctly on my pc.

It seems, that PTE uses another codec, which makes defect films.

On my second PC it works fine and there is a PicturesToExe entry in the codec-List.

It is not possible to copy the ptevideo.dll-file from one to the other pc.

Many greetings and hope, Igor will read my treat and can help

Andreas

There is definitly no ptevideo.dll in my system32-folder.

Video-Encoding does not work correctly on my pc.

It seems, that PTE uses another codec, which makes defect films.

On my second PC it works fine and there is a PicturesToExe entry in the codec-List.

It is not possible to copy the ptevideo.dll-file from one to the other pc.

Many greetings and hope, Igor will read my treat and can help

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Why can't you copy the dll file from one to the other pc? A dynamic link library file is like any other in that it can easily be copied to a CD or DVD or floppy disk then copied to another computer into the Windows/system32 folder. If you can't "see" the file you need to change the Windows parameters in control panel to make hidden and system files visible to explorer.

Best regards,

Lin

Andreas,

If you tried reinstalling pte with administrator privileges and still have no option to use the pte video codec, I am guessing you have a bigger problem than just missing the the ptev.dll. I think there is at least one registry entry that references the ptevideo.dll. I would email support@wnsoft.com if you need an answer soon.

It is an interesting problem, and I hope you post the solution when you have it working.

post-2058-1156477856_thumb.jpg

tom

Many thanks for your replays.

Yes, there is also no registry entry.

Now, I sent a mail to support@wnsoft.com.

Hope, he has time to help.

With best regards.

Andreas

Try to run PicturesToExe v4.48 on this PC, open some project and then press "Video" button in main window of PicturesToExe. Close all running PicturesToExe. And try again with PicturesToExe v5.00 beta. Will it work now?

p.s. we plan to vastly improve all these moments in the nearest future.

Try to run PicturesToExe v4.48 on this PC, open some project and then press "Video" button in main window of PicturesToExe. Close all running PicturesToExe. And try again with PicturesToExe v5.00 beta. Will it work now?

p.s. we plan to vastly improve all these moments in the nearest future.

It seems to work.

Thank you very much for your help.

Andreas

While following this thread, I decided to give the DVD process a try. Without looking for a codec file, I just blindly went through the process in PTE clicking on Video and then in Ulead (after creating 1 coaster) completed a slide show in DVD which played fine on my HDTV. As others have stated on the Forum, there is a slight loss in the DVD from pte on the computer, but with a digital TV, it's not too bad. Now to get into more detail, with Ulead can I create multiple shows on one DVD with a menu to click on any show? I have not delved into Ulead yet, but there is a menu capability which seems that one could select multiple shows.

Guest Techman1

Bharkins,

With Ulead you will be able to create multiple PTE Slideshows on one DVD and include the Ulead menu. I've done this in the past with great success. You just open multiple versions of PTE for each show and insert them (the .avi files) into Ulead, then create your menu.

You might find more information on the video portion of this forum at:

PTE Video Forum

Good luck!

Fred