WnSoft Forums

total lockup using beta 8

bmccammon

I have a standard 30 slide program that I use to test various slideshow and DVD programs. I installed v5beta 8 and added the 30 slides. All transitions were set to "fade in". I kept the default 4 seconds for each image. No music. No PZR. Nothing fancy at all. Then I went to "video" and asked PTE to make a DVD. I added the PTE show as requested and the process started. I got to the "starting to burn" point... it took about 2.5 minutes before anything showed on the progress bar but the bar went to 99% shortly after that. Then the DVD tray ejected. I watched the counter continue until the time elapsed showed 10 minutes. Nothing happened. I tried to cancel and found that all I could do was say yes to the message that asked if I really wanted to do that.... over and over and over. There was no response from PTEVideo. I went to task manager and asked to stop the video process which it did after a long wait. Then my computer wouldn't react to any mouse control. I could not get the DVD tray to retreat into the PC. I ended up turning the PC off with the power switch. The PC rebooted normally.

I have tried to burn DVDs with every beta version of PTE v5 that has allowed that option and have yet to get one to read or work on any of the 3 DVD players I have (Panasonic, Sony, Motorola). I can use PTE to generate a .avi file that renders perfectly in Sony Vegas. It would sure be nice if PTE v5 could ultimately create and burn reliably on the multitude of burners. It sounds like most other people are having success. My DVD burner is in a DELL 8300 machine. It is a TEAC device and only burns DVD+R.

I'm willing to continue to test PTE v5 with hopes that it will end up at a point that works for me. I add these comments only as information for Igor and others. It just seems that such a simple, 2+ minute show should be relatively easy to move to DVD.

Sorry that this ended up in the wrong forum section... should have been in the beta 8 thread but I don't know how to move it.

I have a standard 30 slide program that I use to test various slideshow and DVD programs. I installed v5beta 8 and added the 30 slides. All transitions were set to "fade in". I kept the default 4 seconds for each image. No music. No PZR. Nothing fancy at all. Then I went to "video" and asked PTE to make a DVD. I added the PTE show as requested and the process started. I got to the "starting to burn" point... it took about 2.5 minutes before anything showed on the progress bar but the bar went to 99% shortly after that. Then the DVD tray ejected. I watched the counter continue until the time elapsed showed 10 minutes. Nothing happened. I tried to cancel and found that all I could do was say yes to the message that asked if I really wanted to do that.... over and over and over. There was no response from PTEVideo. I went to task manager and asked to stop the video process which it did after a long wait. Then my computer wouldn't react to any mouse control. I could not get the DVD tray to retreat into the PC. I ended up turning the PC off with the power switch. The PC rebooted normally.

I have tried to burn DVDs with every beta version of PTE v5 that has allowed that option and have yet to get one to read or work on any of the 3 DVD players I have (Panasonic, Sony, Motorola). I can use PTE to generate a .avi file that renders perfectly in Sony Vegas. It would sure be nice if PTE v5 could ultimately create and burn reliably on the multitude of burners. It sounds like most other people are having success. My DVD burner is in a DELL 8300 machine. It is a TEAC device and only burns DVD+R.

I'm willing to continue to test PTE v5 with hopes that it will end up at a point that works for me. I add these comments only as information for Igor and others. It just seems that such a simple, 2+ minute show should be relatively easy to move to DVD.

Sorry that this ended up in the wrong forum section... should have been in the beta 8 thread but I don't know how to move it.

Hi Bruce,

Could you capture a screen of the Project Options on the Video Builder page, or if you don't have a screen capture tool just write down the individual settings and post them? Something seems to be causing this and I've seen this type problem before with a conflict between Roxio and Nero drivers. I'm not certain which system Vegas Video is using, but there may be some conflict which is causing the problem.

If you are not already doing so, I would suggest getting some rewritable DVD +R media so you don't end up with expensive coasters. I was having problems with earlier beta burns, but the latest is working perfectly for me on seven different systems so I'm thinking it must be a driver conflict or some similar issue which is causing the problem, but it would help to see the Project Options and know the exact steps to try and duplicate the failure.

Best regards,

Lin

I have EXACTLY the same problem as Bruce - a basic show which tested fine on all previous issues of PTE (no pan or zooms involved, just a 12 slide show with fades) but stuck at 99% on the burn using the 'Create DVD Disk' option in beta8, and then totally locked the computer.

Please try updated beta 8A:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe_beta.zip (4 MB)

Start Video Builder.

And press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Q

You'll see special window.

Choose "Create burning log" and please try to burn a disc.

Please send me create burning.log file that will be created on disc C:\

int_support (at) wnsoft.com

Also please send me screenshot of last messages in the log window during recording.

Please try updated beta 8A:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe_beta.zip (4 MB)

Start Video Builder.

And press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Q

You'll see special window.

Choose "Create burning log" and please try to burn a disc.

Please send me create burning.log file that will be created on disc C:\

int_support (at) wnsoft.com

Also please send me screenshot of last messages in the log window during recording.

Thanks Lin and Igor. I will do as you suggest but it is going to be later today before I will be able to get to it. I'm comforted by 'wideangle's comment that they have the same experience... Yea... it's not just me!

Lin... to be clear here --- Vegas is not any part of the problem. Vegas has been my solution for making DVDs using .avi files produced by PTE. My problem comes from use of PTE as a stand-alone product to generate and burn a DVD show.

I'll get back to the forum with info this afternoon.

Bruce

Thanks Lin and Igor. I will do as you suggest but it is going to be later today before I will be able to get to it. I'm comforted by 'wideangle's comment that they have the same experience... Yea... it's not just me!

Lin... to be clear here --- Vegas is not any part of the problem. Vegas has been my solution for making DVDs using .avi files produced by PTE. My problem comes from use of PTE as a stand-alone product to generate and burn a DVD show.

I'll get back to the forum with info this afternoon.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I also use Vegas Video and I didn't mean to imply that Vegas "itself" was possibly a part of the problem, but that in a number of cases in the past the Nero and Roxio drivers have conflicted and that even if one is uninstalled, there could be issues of conflict due to parts of the code left in the Registry. My statement about Vegas was that I'm not sure whether Vegas Video may not use one or the other or portions of either as OEM burn engine components. Vegas Video was purchased by Sony from Sound Forge a while back and it's very difficult to know what the internals contain and how this may or may not relate to the OEM burn engine library product used by PTE. So one can't entirely rule out apriori that there is not some confilct causing this issue.

One thing you might want to try is to use a registry cleaner such as Registry Mechanic, etc., to remove any possible vestiges of code which could impact this. The fact that there are only a couple people having this problem would tend to indicate something possibly in common between these two affected systems which are not resident on other computers. Just for the record there are only a very few true burn engines for creating DVD's and many license their products from either Roxio (formerly an Adaptec creation) or Nero.

Best regards,

Lin

Bruce,

I had almost the same problem as you in an earlier beta, and exactly the same as described by "wideangle". I could render and burn on my laptop, but not on the desktop pc using a fairly modern LG burner. DVDBuilder would stick at 99%, and lock up if I tried to close it. (I don't have Vegas Video installed, but I do have several other video programs).

The new beta including the new Video Builder resolves the issue completely, so don't give up hope. Igor and Sergey are miracle-workers so follow their instructions and let them guide you through to the solution! :)

Hi Bruce do you have Roxio installed on your system? I have the same problems as you using the latest beta version of PTE5. If as I suspect PTE makes use of the Nero burning engine there is a well documented conflict between the two, which could be causing the problems. Would suggest that you create the DVD files on your hard drive using PTE, and then burn them to disc using your prefered burning app.

regards

Geoff

Geoff,

We don't use Nero engine. We licensed another burning library that should not conflict with other burning software.

Do you also had problem with 99% of burning of a disc in latest beta 8A that released today?

If yes, please can you try with another DVD media?

I am VERY pleased to announce that v5 beta 8a worked as I always hoped it would and successfully burned a DVD slideshow on my Dell computer without any problems. Thank you Igor!

In case it is of interest or use for others I do have Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, and Sony DVD Architect installed on my machine. I was prepared to remove these programs, run Registry Mechanic per Lin's suggestion and then try to burn a DVD with PTE if my test of v5 beta 8a failed. Now I don't have to do that thanks to improvements made in the beta 8a release Igor provided.

Thanks too for the suggestion to create the DVD files on the hard disk and then use Roxio to burn them to DVD. I think that would have worked as well. It is sure great to be able to accomplish all the tasks within one program.

Again, thanks Igor and thanks to all who jumped into develop this thread.

Best regards...

Bruce

To add another data point, the P2E Video burner is exiting without burning just after it finishes the VOB file indexing or preparation. My system is not locking up, but seems to have a problem around the same point as others in this thread.

I clicked all the boxes in the debug menu (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Q), but I can't find any log files on the hard disk. Where should I look? There is no C:\dvdlog.txt file. It did create 3 files in the temp directory, the mpg file and 2 menu bmps. The program's window just disappears. Does not lock up my system or any other programs. Just disappears. Can be restarted.

First time I changed some options such as audio format and menu items. Second time I pressed default button to reset parameters, set it to NTSC output, changed the temp directory and unclicked the animation check box. Same result.

I don't have any problems with my system, DVD drivers or OS. I'm running Win XP SP1, Pioneer DVR-A06U/Z on a firewire adaptor. Burns other things just fine with many different DVD buring programs. This doesn't bother me too much since I can produce DVD movies using other software. Just wanted to let you know for other users.

Beta #7 Video program crashed much earlier in the DVD making process on my machine.

Edit: There are no files created by P2E Video on the C:\ root drive. Also, I'm not sure what beta version I have. It says "PicturesToExe v5.00 beta 8A" on the window bar, but I downloaded it off of message #30 in the main beta thread at the top of the forum screen.

Edit2: Also I did check the include files to include them on the DVD as well.

Apparently the video program makes no check for file size, or does an incorrect check. The folder I wanted to include on the DVD turned out to be over 6GB in size. Maybe that's the problem. Will try another burn.......

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

To add another data point, the P2E Video burner is exiting without burning just after it finishes the VOB file indexing or preparation. My system is not locking up, but seems to have a problem around the same point as others in this thread.

I clicked all the boxes in the debug menu (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Q), but I can't find any log files on the hard disk. Where should I look? There is no C:\dvdlog.txt file. It did create 3 files in the temp directory, the mpg file and 2 menu bmps. The program's window just disappears. Does not lock up my system or any other programs. Just disappears. Can be restarted.

First time I changed some options such as audio format and menu items. Second time I pressed default button to reset parameters, set it to NTSC output, changed the temp directory and unclicked the animation check box. Same result.

I don't have any problems with my system, DVD drivers or OS. I'm running Win XP SP1, Pioneer DVR-A06U/Z on a firewire adaptor. Burns other things just fine with many different DVD buring programs. This doesn't bother me too much since I can produce DVD movies using other software. Just wanted to let you know for other users.

Beta #7 Video program crashed much earlier in the DVD making process on my machine.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

The burning log I created for Igor was sent to the C: drive and is named "burning.log" It is 1K in size.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

The burning log I created for Igor was sent to the C: drive and is named "burning.log" It is 1K in size.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. When it was crashing, it was before it could write any files.

I was able to burn a DVD that plays on a stand alone DVD player, but there were a number of glitches in it. It did not show the frame I selected for the title box on the menu screen, and without touching the DVD player's controls, this box would alternate between being selected and deselected. There was an audio glitch about 1/2 way through the slideshow, a momentary drop out (no sound). It was a 12 minute slideshow. Also, the file structure is not visible in windows explorer on the computer. It shows 0 objects, 0 bytes. I wanted to see if the folder of picture files had been copied. The movie does not play on the computer DVD player. There was a brief operation failure message right at the end of the process, but I could not tell what it was referring to. The video program said it was done and had the close button activated, so I closed it and exited P2E. I was surprised when it took a few minutes to eject the DVD after exiting the program, with the activity light on the drive on. Perhaps it's related to the unusual file structure on this particular DVD.

This will be my last post on the DVD Player part of P2E, as I do not plan on spending any more time using this feature to make DVD movie slideshows in the current beta. Back to making new computer slideshows! I will try to answer any questions though. I can send you the two log files if you are interested Igor.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Steve,

Thank you for testing!

Please send me these log files.

Probably we didn't enough test burning on external firewire DVD writers. The error message in the log says that not all files were burned correctly. Also this reason why it had problem with playback on stand-alone DVD player.

Bruce,

I'm glad that it works now!