WnSoft Forums

Changed path to the images

Tripstrilles

Hi friends. Maybe we have finished presentations with PTE and have stored the PTE-project file and the images for secure on CD-Rom or otherwise.

Now, 1 year later, we want to change a part of an old show. When we open PTE and the project file, there comes a warning, that the images cannot be found. So we have to edit the project.pte with editor and change the path to the folder, the images are now (CD-Rom, D:, .... ).

Igor, can you create a menu-point or a popup window, where it is possible, where we can enter the new path of the images, when this message appears?

What do you mean, friends?

Greetings, Tripstrilles :(

That might be a helpful fix, but I would think you want to make your changes on the hard drive for ease and quickness of changes.

So wouldn't it be better to move the files from the CD to the hard drive and then I expect (hope ? :( they would be found.

But I could be missing something here

Yes of course to the hard drive. It should be a help for easier changing the path. In WIN 2000 German, the path for the folder - my files - is called:

c:\dokumente und einstellungen\all users.winnt\eigene dateien\dia-shows\nepal1998\

You must not store the templates (images, music ...) in such a large folder, but it could be.

So I want an easy way to change such a path with entering a new path and click o.k..

T. :(

In such case PicturesToExe automatically tries to find files of the project in the folder where your placed .pte project file.

Please let me know if it's not enough to make this process better.

This is a problem I have brought up before.

If I have saved a templet with an older version.

and moved it to a CD with the .PTE file. Then Delete

the Dir were the orginal files are at.

When I try and open it with V4.0 If finds everything

But the Objects that I have in the show.

I can Manually edit the .PTE file or remake the slides with objects.

But, it will not look in the same Dir as the .PTE file for the

objects.

My objects are .gif's

cc

This issue happened often to me. Many times I begin to make a project at home, then I copy it on a Zip disk and keep working on one of my work machines.

So the initial project was saved on E: disk (at home I have two Hdd with 4 + 5 = 9 (yes, nine!) partitions, I copied it on Z: (Zip) and I worked at work on this (or also on a copy made on the C: Hdd of the work machine)... A muddle!

Well, I think nobody of you is working in such condition. But I learnt to solve the problems about misplacing of files...

There are two main ways (as far as I know):

1) The simplest solution. Save not only the project (xxxx.pte) but the template. So you'll have a folder where there are pictures, sounds and obviously your xxxx.pte. Copying this folder from a path to another (a CD too) PTE will find always all the stuff it needs. Sure if you have it on a CD-R you can't modify the project, but if you copy it anywhere on Hdd you can.

2) If you have not the template (e.g. of an old project), but you still have pictures and sounds (and your xxxx.pte!), there is another simple and fast way. Open your .pte file with Notepad or Wordpad (if you don't have "Open with"... in your context menu, right click holding the Caps key down).

Now with Edit > Replace write in "Find" box the "old" path (e.g. D:\PTE\MyPresentation1\Images) and in "Replace with" the new one where you have now your images (e.g. C:\My Documents\Images), then click on "Replace all".

The same for the sound.

It's all. Save changes and you'll have a working xxxx.pte.

IMPORTANT: - Work always on a copy of your original xxxx.pte! It's safer...

I too use the search and replace to edit my .PTE file.

But I have only had to do this with the newest version of PTE 4.0

If I try and open my Templet's with 3.8 it works Fine. It will find

all of my Objects. Only 4.0 will tell me that it can't find them

and tell me that it is looking in the old DIR.

This is why I think this might be a bug in version 4.0

Maybe is had something to do with the added transparent Gif support?

cc

@guru:

This is, what I mean. I use the same way, but users, who don´t know much about computer and software are not able to find this way.

My opinion is, if I create a project with any kind of software and I do changings in, there must be an easier way to do this inside the software, not with external program like editor.

For me, there is no problem to do these changings. But it should be a little bit more comfortable.

T.

Tripstrilles and other members

Ha Ha !

That's why I made my program..(forgot the name) which save lists of your files with no need to arrange them or look for them. Just keep your images the way you like and keep lists of images you want. The lists keep the full path of each image. You can upload any list and selected paths are copied to clipboard. I think it was "Thumbi" (my head is too busy now, sorry).

Granot

Igor,

While you are at it, would it be possible to remove the path name from the names of images used in the show when the images are located in the same directory as the ".pte" file?

This would solve the problem of not being able to read the image titles when using long, complicated path names.

When I remove the path names in "Adjustor", and load the data back into PTE, the full path name automatically reappears.