WnSoft Forums

font transfer problem?

bmccammon

I'm using PTE version 5.1 beta 10 (although the problem exists on other betas as well). I built a simple 6 slide show and added a caption using the Text tool in the Objects and Animation editor. Each caption uses a different font. the slideshow plays perfectly on the machine that created the show... both in PTE's preview and when using START/RUN and selecting the .exe file. No surprises.

When I transfer the .exe file to a laptop on a thumbdrive and play it the only captions that show up with the proper font are the ones which use fonts on the laptop. If the font does not exist on the laptop it looks like the font defaults to Arial or somesuch.

Is this a known problem? What's the point of using fonts in creation of a program if they don't transfer with the .exe when it is distributed via CD or thumbdrive? It sure doesn't seem that I had this problem with previous versions of PTE.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions?

Hi Bruce,

Actually, it's not a "problem" per se - but rather that in order to insure that a font is going to look the same on a different computer you need to convert it to a PNG file thus insuring that it will be identical. As you discovered, if a font is used as "text" and that font is not resident on the computer a slideshow is played on, Windows chooses a replacement font. But if you convert the text (rasterize to PNG) to a PNG it becomes a graphic image rather than a text object and will always look exactly the same regardless of the machine used to play the slideshow.

Best regards,

Lin

I'm using PTE version 5.1 beta 10 (although the problem exists on other betas as well). I built a simple 6 slide show and added a caption using the Text tool in the Objects and Animation editor. Each caption uses a different font. the slideshow plays perfectly on the machine that created the show... both in PTE's preview and when using START/RUN and selecting the .exe file. No surprises.

When I transfer the .exe file to a laptop on a thumbdrive and play it the only captions that show up with the proper font are the ones which use fonts on the laptop. If the font does not exist on the laptop it looks like the font defaults to Arial or somesuch.

Is this a known problem? What's the point of using fonts in creation of a program if they don't transfer with the .exe when it is distributed via CD or thumbdrive? It sure doesn't seem that I had this problem with previous versions of PTE.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions?

Thanks LIn and Igor. I understand that I can make PNG files of the text I want to display but that is sure more time consuming than just working with the Text tool in the Object/Animation screen. I'm glad to hear that the "fix" is on the list of things to do. I can surely make do until the "problem" is resolved.

Thanks again.

Bruce,

Perhaps I misunderstand your reply to Lin and Igor, but I think you will find that converting text generated in PTE to PNG is VERY simple. All you need do is tick the box labelled "Rasterize text to PNG image" and save with your other images.

Hope I got the right end of the stick!

John

Sometimes I amaze myself! You'd really think that with all the hours I've spent with PTE that I would be able to see (and use) options that are clearly right in front of me. No, I did not realize that with a simple check in the "rasterize to PNG" box that I could achieve what I wanted. I really did think that I had to go out to Photoshop to create the PNG files and then import them... hence my reply. Thanks JEB for being so kind in your reply to teach this old dog some new tricks. Your advice and tone are much appreciated.

Best regards,

Bruce

• 6 months later...

5.2 renamed to 5.5

5.3 renamed to 5.6

In 5.6 we plan to automatically store text objects as vector images (unlimited quality for any display resolution) and a problem with absent unique fonts will go away forever.

In 5.6 we plan to automatically store text objects as vector images (unlimited quality for any display resolution) and a problem with absent unique fonts will go away forever.

Many thanks, Igor, that will be great.

I hadn't known this was an issue until recently I presented a PTE AV at my Photography Club. It was shown on the club's laptop and I was confused and disappointed when the lovely Papyrus font I had chosen displayed as a large-size Arial and many text objects couldn't be seen in full.

Despite this problem PTE absolutely starred when compared with the Proshow presentations prepared by several other club members. The quality of the images plus the smoothness of transitions and PZR effects was brilliant. I think several club members might be changing from Proshow to PTE !

My thanks to the PTE development team for such a good product and to the many helpful guys on this forum for such great and tireless support.