WnSoft Forums

Enigma

Barry Beckham

Hi Barry and Carol,

I enjoyed Enigma. Something a bit different but with your usually excellent quality images. One very small detail that just caught my eye was the reflection of your camera and tripod in the bottom of the copper bowl. A job for the clone tool?

There has been some discussion on another thread about sound recording. I have a couple of your early sound tutorial discs which I found very helpful when I started trying to record voiceovers but I don't recall you saying much about equipment. Your sound is always first class and I would be interested to know; do you use anything special such as a pre-amp or high quality mic? My sound card is far too noisy if I try to get decent volume with a cheap mike as I think Judy Kay is trying to do. With the pre-amp it's fine.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Barry and Carol,

When viewed at 1920x 1440 it is all over the place. It took me a while to realise that I had to change my resolution in order to see it as it was intended :huh: My fault of course, I thought they all expanded to full screen or to windowed mode (when a specific size is required).

I think the first image would look better if the horizontal lines in the stained glass window were parallel to the horizontal of the viewing border/window, just MHO.

This is still in sort of draft form until I am satisfied nothing needs changing

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw3.htm

Barry -

I found your Enigma slide show a coincidence. I'm planning a project to make a show of an old Catholic church in our town that will be torn down to make room for a new church. I find it sad; we seen to have little sense of antiquity in the USA. Anyway, I plan to record it digitally at least. Your show was not only a delight to watch, it also gave me ideas for the project. I like how you capture the little things that may go unnoticed from a cursory glance.

Well done. Keep them coming!

Dave

Peter

Thanks for spotting that :angry: I thought you would all miss it as the image wasn't on screen long :rolleyes: . Actually I did fix it, but then had reason to rework the image and forgot it the second time.

Regarding voice recording, I sort the advice of Medwyn Goodall a few years ago who suggested paying for a decent microphone so I bought a Beyer headphone and mike set. It was about £100, but it did need a pre-amp to make it work. I got one that is a little mixer too for about £70.

I suppose compared to the usual £20 mike in PC World that was a bit steep, but it works well and you only need to make the outlay once.

Who is Judy Kay, have I missed something ?

Almark

Well, the only way to fix that now that wide screen monitors are appearing is to change from full screen to window mode in the screen tab. For those already viewing with 1280*1024, I hope there is no affect at all, their certainly isn't for me. That should restict any animation on your monitor to 1280*1024. Perhaps you will download my show again tomorrow and do a test for me. I will make a few changes and upload it again. I would be grateful if you can report back how it plays on your 1920x 1440 screen.

Your comment about the horizontal lines was well spotted and I agree, its changed.

Dave

Glad you enjoyed the show, not bad from a non believer is it. I don't have a religious bone in my body, but I do find that Churches and Cathedrals have lots of appeal. The idea and inspiration for this show came from Alan Rushmer a visitor to my own forum who created a show based on Norwich Cathedral. I had no idea this Cathedral was so photogenic and we paid it a visit too.

Hi Barry,

Judy Kay made this post:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=49353 in a thread about Audacity. As Peter Appleton said there's a lot of difference between just ripping music from CDs and trying to produce good quality voice overs with music as well. I thought your experience would be worth sharing with Judy. I'll put a post on the other thread directing her here.

Kind regards

Peter

Barry,

first of all, sorry I got my resolutions mixed up, the screen res was not 1920x1400 - it is 1920x1200 (which allows for full HD at 1920x1080)

At 1920x1200 it would play but the viewing picture size would change from image to image, some were Ok but if any included pan/zoom then it appeared badly out.

Here are a few screenshots taken at 1920x1200, numbers 2 and 3 show mid transition and the overlap (that cannot be seen at 1280x1024).

http://www.almark.net/photos/enigma.jpg

http://www.almark.net/photos/enigma1.jpg

http://www.almark.net/photos/enigma2.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

On an aside, at a recent AV Group meet there was much discussion about 1400x1050 for a both future Av's and perhaps a new digital projection category for competitions (PAGB).

Almark

Did you download the show again, since your first post I have limited the show to 1280*1024 so I hoped that anyone viewing on a wide screen should still only see what I intend you to see.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw3.htm

Barry

Barry,

Another superb slideshow.

I have seen most of your slideshows from your website and I thank you and Carol for inspiring my wife and I to go out and take better photos and produce slideshows of our own.

Enigma is very good but we just love Haworth. The combination of image and music is magical. We are new to PTE but have been 'photographers' for a while but have decided that we shall have to try and put our tripods in holes made by yours.

Please keep them coming.

Brian

Barry, I viewed Enigma on my usual 1024x768. (Of course) everything worked perfectly. I am trying to decide how I feel about the white lower border as solution to the excess screen shape over your chosen picture shape. I think I remember that you do not appreciate seeing a black stripe across top and bottom. And I too detest having to alter a carefully composed full-frame camera photo for the sake of the computer screen shape. In addition to the white lower border you used, did you try other color choices such as a more neutral gray or other shades before concluding to use white?

Photography of course is excellent and I found your custom transitions very fitting and appealing.

Now, just what is the Enigma?

Barry, I viewed Enigma on my usual 1024x768. (Of course) everything worked perfectly. I am trying to decide how I feel about the white lower border as solution to the excess screen shape over your chosen picture shape. I think I remember that you do not appreciate seeing a black stripe across top and bottom. And I too detest having to alter a carefully composed full-frame camera photo for the sake of the computer screen shape. In addition to the white lower border you used, did you try other color choices such as a more neutral gray or other shades before concluding to use white?

Photography of course is excellent and I found your custom transitions very fitting and appealing.

Now, just what is the Enigma?

LumenLux

Funny you are the only one to mention the frame as it is/was and experiment for me too. As you have picked up, I like to control how my images are displayed. After all this is 70% of AV isn't it.

I do use frames quite a bit and this time I thought I would use the same presentation we would use in a print, where a wider lower boarder is much easier on the eye and looks right in landscape images.

I did also try a number of different shades and textures, but came back to white in the end. However, I am not totally sure white is right and perhaps I should go back and try another shade again, now that the creative mist has lifted. :blink:

None of us make our best decisions when our head is full of that creative mist, wait a day or so for it to clear and we can then make the final decisions.

The Enigma ?

Religeon, never believed in it from an early age and blame it for most of the strife in the world, yet there are these great monuments built all over the world. I can't quite understand why we do not seem to be evolving away from it. Perhaps we are, but its not visible in one lifetime.