WnSoft Forums

How do I do this? 3 Questions using 5.5 Beta9...

goddi

Greetings,

I just created a slideshow with 5.5 Beta 9. I have 3 questions that have arisen.

1- File association: With the 4.3 version, I could click on a .PTE file and the PTE program would open with this file. However, I have dumped 4.3 and now only have the Beta 9 to work with. When I click on a .PTE file in MyComputer, it does not find the 5.5 Beta 9 PTE program. I have tried to force the File Association but it does not work. I have tried to do the 'Open With', 'Choose Program' and Browse to the location of APR.exe and select it. But it never shows up in the file list and it will not associate the .PTE extension with the PTE program. I am using Windows XP Pro. Of course, I can open all PTE file in the program with File Open, but I'd like to be able to click on a PTE file in MyComputer and open the program with it. Any ideas why I can not associate the PTE extension with the PTE program???

2- In the slideshow I just created, I have made a 'Menu' slide that has 2 'buttons' that run external applications (2 other PTE slideshows). I would like to have a sound effect played when each of the buttons is chosen. I can not find anyway to play a sound when a button is chosen. Is there a way???

3- In this same slideshow, I'd like to have a long music file play until one of the buttons in the Menu slide is selected. I have tried this but the problem is that the music file from the Menu slide continues to play while the music from the selected slideshow plays. I'd like to know how can I get the music that plays during the Menu slideshow to stop as soon as one of the main slideshows starts.

I'd appreciate any suggestions... Thanks... Gary

PS. I forgot to add that the slides are sync'd to music (in the 2 main slideshows).

I suspect 5.5 ignores pte made with other versions - i had a similar instance with b8 -- when i clicked an early show /version pte , the ver that made it opened it - in this case 5.1

if you open 55 b9 and direct it to the pte in question and click open the file opens

for it to open in future you will have to do a re save as with new new name i suspect

ken

Greetings,

I just created a slideshow with 5.5 Beta 9. I have 3 questions that have arisen.

1- File association: With the 4.3 version, I could click on a .PTE file and the PTE program would open with this file. However, I have dumped 4.3 and now only have the Beta 9 to work with. When I click on a .PTE file in MyComputer, it does not find the 5.5 Beta 9 PTE program. I have tried to force the File Association but it does not work. I have tried to do the 'Open With', 'Choose Program' and Browse to the location of APR.exe and select it. But it never shows up in the file list and it will not associate the .PTE extension with the PTE program. I am using Windows XP Pro. Of course, I can open all PTE file in the program with File Open, but I'd like to be able to click on a PTE file in MyComputer and open the program with it. Any ideas why I can not associate the PTE extension with the PTE program???

I'd appreciate any suggestions... Thanks... Gary

Hi! Gary,

It looks like you have come across a bug, as Pte doesn’t automatically produce a project Pte icon.

In the mean time until this is corrected I have a work around:

Go to the folder where you saved your project and Right click on the icon produced by windows for your project.

Choose open with, (at this point you wont have a prog listed that will open this file).

Choose browse, nav to programmes folder, choose wnsoft pictures to exe and open folder.

Open folder 5.5 beta 9,

Click on the file .apr,

Then check the box (always use this prog to open this file)

Hope this has been of some help as I myself experienced this small problem.

Remember, if you open Pte First and nav to you project within, Pte will always open your project.

Tom

try a freebie

http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

OpenExpert - Open With submenu for explorer's menu

Please download OpenExpert to handle file extension easily.

use r mouse button

you will have to train it

they also have a plugin for irfanview

IrfanView ShellExtension 1.02

Shell Extension for IrfanView

IrfanView Shell Extension is a Freeware Dll that adds the ability to call some IrfanView functions from within the Windows Explorer.

IrfanView itself is a fast FREEWARE image viewer/converter for Win9x/NT and Windows 2000.

You could find IrfanView at http://www.irfanview.com

Screenshot Download - IrfanView ShellExtension

ken

Ken... That is not the problem. I created the slideshow in 5.5 Beta9. I can not get Windows to associate the PTE extension with the PTE program so that it will open the PTE program when I click on the PTE slideshow in MyComputer. I have tried the making the association in Windows XP but it will not put the PTE association in the Open File listing. Are other people having the same problem or is it just something going wrong in my system???? Does it even have anything to do with the way PTE installs itself???

Gary

===============================================

I suspect 5.5 ignores pte made with other versions - i had a similar instance with b8 -- when i clicked an early show /version pte , the ver that made it opened it - in this case 5.1

if you open 55 b9 and direct it to the pte in question and click open the file opens

for it to open in future you will have to do a re save as with new new name i suspect

ken

Ken... That is not the problem. I created the slideshow in 5.5 Beta9. I can not get Windows to associate the PTE extension with the PTE program so that it will open the PTE program when I click on the PTE slideshow in MyComputer. I have tried the making the association in Windows XP but it will not put the PTE association in the Open File listing. Are other people having the same problem or is it just something going wrong in my system???? Does it even have anything to do with the way PTE installs itself???

Gary

===============================================

Gary,

I have just tried the procedure I mentioned earlier and it worked a treat, I don't know why your version of windows wont allow you to make an association with Pte, Please follow my instructions with care and let me know how you got on.

Tom

Tom... I understand your procedure very well. I have done it many times in the past for other programs. But for some strange reason, it does not work for my PTE, on my PC. I can only assume that it has to do with something in my Windows since it works for your system. I have installed my PTE directly in the C:\ as opposed to where it defaults to the Programs folder. But I don't think this has anything to do with it...

Thanks... Gary

=========================

Gary,

I have just tried the procedure I mentioned earlier and it worked a treat, I don't know why your version of windows wont allow you to make an association with Pte, Please follow my instructions with care and let me know how you got on.

Tom

Greetings,

I have exactly the same problem. I have XP Pro too. Everything I tried to do didn't succeed. I suspect it's a Windows Problem. ANyway, I have to reformat my HD and reinstall Windows. I think it should work after I completed this reinstallation.

2- In the slideshow I just created, I have made a 'Menu' slide that has 2 'buttons' that run external applications (2 other PTE slideshows). I would like to have a sound effect played when each of the buttons is chosen. I can not find anyway to play a sound when a button is chosen. Is there a way???

I think so. I didn't try but here is how I would do it :

Associate each button "Action on mouse click" with "Go to slide number...".

=> Button 1 go to slide #n.

=> Button 2 go to slide #m.

slide #n and #m will include the same objects as your "menu" slide. This way, the go to slide will be invisible for the user

For slide n & m, use the "add sound" feature.

The display slide of those slides will be equal to the length of your sounds.

Customize slide #n and #m to "run external applications" (your 2 other slideshows).

I think it should work.

3- In this same slideshow, I'd like to have a long music file play until one of the buttons in the Menu slide is selected. I have tried this but the problem is that the music file from the Menu slide continues to play while the music from the selected slideshow plays. I'd like to know how can I get the music that plays during the Menu slideshow to stop as soon as one of the main slideshows starts.

I think you have the problem because you choosed for "action on mouse click" to "Run application or open file...". You should have choosed "Run applicatio and exit".

But if you follow the instructions I gave for your problem #2, it should work.

But if you want to go back to the menu at the end of each of your PTE slideshows, you should add your menu slide as last slide in each of those slideshow.

I hope it makes sense.

thedom.... Interesting to hear you have a similar problem with associating PTE with the program. I'd like to hear if your reinstall changes anything. I will try to digest what you suggestions are for my other 2 problems. Thanks for the ideas. I'll fiddle around to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks... Gary

thedon.... I gave it a try. But I don't think it will work the way I have it set up. If I understand what you suggest, it appears that I would have to have only one slideshow, instead that of my 3 slideshows (a menu slideshow and 2 primary slideshows). I need to have them separate because the 2 main slideshows are synch's to different lengths of music. Maybe I could combine them but it is above my head at this point to try to rearrange everything. But I don't think I would be able to get each button to have a different sound effect to be played. I just don't see how it would allow me to put a sound when I just click each of the buttons. Anyway...I am confusing myself so I must really be confusing you.

I just hope Igor could provide the ability of adding a sound to a button and have the ability to stop the music of one slideshow when you want to run to another slideshow....... It gets too complicated when you have to do a work-around for something like this.

Gary

Isn't this just a Beta thing?

I seem to recall PTE did this all the way through the V5 beta testing, but all came right at the end.

I think it may just be a Beta issue that Igor as to unhook so to speak until the final version is released.

For beta releases we don't set association with .pte project files.

Thanks, Igor, for clearing up this question. I thought I was going a bit nuts. I didn't realize you could have control over whether Windows would allow the association or not of an installed program. And let me add my thanks for all the improvements and work you and your crew are doing.

I'd like to ask further if it would be possible to allow sound files to be added to the buttons we can create in O&A. And, is there is a way to stop the music from playing in a menu slide as soon as a button transfers you from the menu slide to a slideshow which has its own music?

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary

In regards to stopping music on the Menu this is no problem. You create a menu as “thedom” explained and duplicate slides with different action as to audio on / off.

As to the button sound, this is also no problem with the audio on / off buttons within the menu structure as the sound is added to the next slide (loads fast). You could add the sound to the first slide of your (show_1) presentation but I found there seems to be timing issue with loading of show (click) sound.

I have put a small demo together that may explain better. (all files and settings including the .PTE files)

I am sure there are other ways of creating but I kept this pretty basic and simple.

I know it may not be as you wish but may give you something to go on until Igor (possibly) can add sound to buttons.

Just create a NEW FOLDER and extract all files – Index.exe to start menu show. – Music must be turned off before a presentation – click button – Start – Audio off button.

Link to demo. - Index.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?9tboprj2xdn

.PTE files

Let us know if you can load the .PTE files on your system, as I am not sure if the path to my images will effect it.

If so I will revise the above LINK with the BACKUP files.- that should work.

Created in ver 5.1

Hawk... Thanks so much for the reply and the shows. Let me digest what you sent and fiddle around with it. It looks like you have done what I need to do. I just need to understand how you did it. Thanks so much.

I'll let you know later how it turns out. Gary

=============================

Open Files With

I have just read Kens' No:#5 post above about File Expert, and have also taken

into consideration what Igor has just Posted about 'Pte Beta-File Associations'.....

It just so happens that we use 'BaXBex File-Expert' ~(Kens Post)~ to regularily

open all types of Engineering Exe's and Files which have no 'Open With' dialogue

in the Windows List.

This can be a pain in the neck if one is constantly trying to open some legitimate

archive and we found that 'Open-Expert' makes life a lot easier in that respect.

If you have that problem try this out...

ScreenShot below:-

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1210681883_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary....

.PTE files

Let us know if you can load the .PTE files on your system, as I am not sure if the path to my images will effect it.

If so I will revise the above LINK with the BACKUP files.- that should work.

Created in ver 5.1

Hawk... This morning, I took another look at your files and it is slowly sinking in. All the files work and I (I think I) see what you have done. Very cool. I am going to see if I can duplicate it with my show.

However, one of the things that perplexes me is that the music file in Slide #1 of the Index slide list repeats itself. This is good. However, I don't see why it does. I see the music file is inputed using Customize Slide/Music. I would think it would play only once. I also looked in the Project Options and its Music tab has the 'Repeat music after playing' greyed out. I am confused as to what makes this music file repeat and what made the 'Repeat music after playing' to be greyed out.

I hope this clear enough.... Gary

Gary

I see the music file is inputed using Customize Slide/Music. I would think it would play only once.

Interesting find – yes I have to agree. ( was not aware )

Since the new feature in “customize” - “ Wait for key press or mouse click to show next slide “ I wonder if Igor could add “ Play once “ and “ Repeat “ in the customize / Music section.

Work around – Index.pte

Slide 1 un-check customize – Add music in Project Options/Music, and uncheck “ Repeat “ will play once – this also changes slide #3

Slide 3 you can still use “customize and add audio 3 – 4 times, same song for it to repeat if one wishes.

Note – Button sound.

One way I did also test was to “ Delete slide 3 “ and only had two slides.

To get the sound ( camera click ) to work with button click on slide 2 the sound file had to be added to slide 1.

This sound ( camera click ) will sound when Index.exe is executed – if that’s no problem to you.

Hawk...

Ok...!!! I transformed my slideshow to work as your Index files work. Thanks... It was a bit of re-working but I got it done. Now, the music on the slide#1 in the Index file will play a music file until I click on its button to proceed to the slide#2 in the Index file, which now has 2 buttons for two independent slideshows. The music that was playing on the slide#1 stops as it goes to slide#2, and then when I choose either one of those slideshows, their music will start when either of the slideshows start.

I put in slide#3, but I could not figure out why I needed it. So I remove it and everything works as it should. Can you tell me why it was there??? The Action on Mouse Click was to take you to slide#2...but I don't think we needed it (?).

Kinda of a hard way just to stop the music on slide#1 from playing when you continue to the next slide, but it works. The unfortunate thing is the sound effect plays when you go from slide#1 to slide#2. What we need to be able to do is to have the capability for a sound effect to be place directly on a button. Also, is there a way to change the font size on the text you place in a button????? I've searched high and low, but no luck.

Gary

Gary

I put in slide#3, but I could not figure out why I needed it. So I remove it and everything works as it should. Can you tell me why it was there???

The click sound for button on Slide 2 is on Slide 3, in order for sound effect to work on Slide 2 if you delete #3 would have required adding sound to Slide 1

As explained at bottom of post 19 – It would have sounded when you start the Index.Exe

You could leave as 2 slides – just an option.

The unfortunate thing is the sound effect plays when you go from slide#1 to slide#2. What we need to be able to do is to have the capability for a sound effect to be place directly on a button.

Sound effect - Yes a few MS of delay – but remember this is only a work around to your request to Igor. ( 2 actions on mouse click ! – sound and start exe presentation – if possible )

Also, is there a way to change the font size on the text you place in a button????? I've searched high and low, but no luck.

If you prefer text on a button.

One way is to add a default button – delete the word “ Button ” in Properties.

While in “ Properties “ click on – “ Advanced “ and adjust – Min Width - to approximate size.

Add Text as a child to button ( font size can be changed by dragging )( Rasterize text if you wish - recommended )

The “Text ” now takes the “ Action on mouse click “ and best to change " Button " properties to “ Action “ “ NONE “

Both " Button " and " Text " can be adjusted seperatly, however now the “ Text “ takes the “ Action “ I would recommend to cover the button as much as possible with the text.

The “Text ” now takes the “ Action on mouse click “ and best to change " Button " properties to “ Action “ “ NONE “

Both " Button " and " Text " can be adjusted seperatly, however now the “ Text “ takes the “ Action “ I would recommend to cover the button as much as possible with the text.

To avoid this problem, just tick "transparent to selection" for the text object in the "Common" tab and keep the action associated with the button object.

This way, the text will become transparent for click and you can click wherever you want on the button whatever the size of the text.

I noticed that the cursor doesn't change to an hand icon when you move it over an object associated with an action on mouse click.

May be I'm wrong but I think it didn't work this way with previous version. Am I dreaming ?

thedom

Yes I have to agree it seems a much better way to add text to button – check as “Transparant to Selection “ leave the button with the action.

I normally never add text to a button. - thanks for the tip.

I noticed that the cursor doesn't change to an hand icon when you move it over an object associated with an action on mouse click.

May be I'm wrong but I think it didn't work this way with previous version. Am I dreaming ?

Edited

Ver 4.48 cursor shows the hand icon when moved over a Button Object with an “Action”

Igor must have removed this in 5.1 - due to new button design.

However the " Hand icon " still appears using " Text only or Hyperlink " with an " Action " ( 5.1 )