WnSoft Forums

Renaming image files

fh1805

I am using beta9 and have just tried renaming image files in a PTE project and found that the resultant changes are not propagated in the manner which I expected. I have no reason to believe this is a beta9-specific issue as I have never renamed images in PTE before.

For example: when I selected image D1145.jpg from the File Panel and dragged it into the Slide List, the file's name was shown in both the File Panel and the Slide List as D1145.jpg. When I then went into the O&A window for this image, the Object name for this object was D1145 (i.e. the filename minus the extension had been used to provide an object name). When I then went back to the Slide List, selected this slide and renamed it (via F2) to RG0010.jpg, the name in the File Panel and the Slide List both changed to RG0010.jpg as expected, but the object label remained at D1145.

I was expecting the rename to be fully propagated as a "change all instances of..." but this appears not to be the case.

What is the view of other Forum members on the benefit or otherwise of having PTE propagate the file name change into the object name as well?

Hello Peter,

a similar effect is to be seen if you change the main image. If you do it in the main window, the object name remains as it is, while changing the image in the O&A window, the corresponding object name changes, as well (in 5.1 and in 5.5beta). In the first case you have to use the name field in the common tab to give the object any name you like.

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

I am sure you have to save a new project file after renaming an image, but isn't PTE much like Photoshop when you create an action of add some filters.

The software needs to be closed down and relaunched and then all the correct labels will be reflected.

Havn't tried it in relation to this thread, but just a guess?

Hi Peter,

There are good reasons for this as it presently is I believe. Early on in the evolution of version 5.0 betas all objects carried progressive names such as "object1, object2". There was always the option of renaming these objects but this did not affect the real file names.

The "advantage" of being able to rename objects in the objects list without affecting their real file name can be best seen when doing very complex animations where being able to give certain objects an easily remembered name representing their proper order is quite helpful. For example, when creating a puzzle effect with many pieces having some alpha-numeric naming makes placement very easy. Imagine trying to assemble a 200 piece puzzle consisting of conventional file names. By being able to assign meaningful names to the objects it's very easy to keep track of individual components and reassemble them after scrambling the pieces.

This, of course, would not be apparent unless one were interested in complex animations and this feature would perhaps seem strange, but it is very helpful at times to aid in keeping track of long lists of objects with similar names.

Best regards,

Lin