WnSoft Forums

Stepping Back in Time

Tomuk

Hi! All,

Below you will find a link to a little sequence I have created, I make no apologies for Photographing Bliss Hill and the Black country Museums as I know it’s a favourite haunt of Barry B, I also make no apologies for using some of the Photoshop techniques also used by Barry in some of his shows, if you want to learn, why not learn from the best?

I’m sorry that it’s a mediafire link as I can’t afford my own site on my pension. LOL.

Here’s the link, please download and enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jiqbyiyymgm

Tom.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi! All,

Below you will find a link to a little sequence I have created, I make no apologies for Photographing Bliss Hill and the Black country Museums as I know it’s a favourite haunt of Barry B, I also make no apologies for using some of the Photoshop techniques also used by Barry in some of his shows, if you want to learn, why not learn from the best?

I’m sorry that it’s a mediafire link as I can’t afford my own site on my pension. LOL.

Here’s the link, please download and enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jiqbyiyymgm

Tom.

Excellent Tom, wish I could do as well myself. One little niggle, the guy with the bushy beard and tricorn hat, his specs were out of character, I think I would have kept him in the back ground or tried to clone some period specs.

Well, after such nice words what can I say?

Here's a great tip when your placing subjects like the people into other scenes. Even on the dullest of days we will cast a delicate shadow beneath us and that shadow will be stronger just around the shoe.

Add the shadow on a new blank layer, beneath the person layer, using a soft brush, black and the opacitiy set to 1%

It makes the world of difference.

Well, after such nice words what can I say?

Here's a great tip when your placing subjects like the people into other scenes. Even on the dullest of days we will cast a delicate shadow beneath us and that shadow will be stronger just around the shoe.

Add the shadow on a new blank layer, beneath the person layer, using a soft brush, black and the opacitiy set to 1%

It makes the world of difference.

Barry you are a star, I did notice the floating effect and was pondering how to cure it, I'll get right into Photoshop and create something.

I used to use Kai's power tools to create shadows, it was a doodle but after an F format to my hard drive I lost the software.

Another problem is the one that Yachtsman flagged up (sunglasses), on reflection I should have asked him to remove them, no pun intended LOL.

Tom.

Tom

Well, I think that is going a bit too far, we can surely make some allowance and the glasses doesn't bother me at all. If you look carefully at many of the shots we take there will some evidence of modern times.

Don't beat yourself up over a minor point and there is one thing to remember. When people pick up on the tiniest of issues, it usually a sign that the slide show is pretty good.

Tom,

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks for letting us see it.

I'm intrigued as to how you cut out the penny-farthing. I assume it ended up as a PNG file but what process did you use for the selection?

John

John

If Tom used the same one as me you will find it below

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/downloads/...tout/cutout.htm

This is my claim to fame. I devised this selection free cut-out technique way back in the days of Photoshop 3 and it still produces a cut-out that will stand the scrutiny of a very large print. In those days I used the technique with the eraser tool, but I have refined it over the years as my knowledge grew and Photoshop improved.

Hi Tom,

A pleasant sequence with some effective build up of images and use of zoom transitions.

I wasn't too bothered about the sunglasses on the town crier but I'm sure you could lighten them with photoshop. Maybe if he wasn't on screen for quite so long it would also help?

Oh, and just how did you cut the penny farthing out?

Keith

Hi! To all above,

Thank you for your kind words and critique.

Bill. Thank you for your kind offer, I will upload after I have made a few tweaks.

John,Keith and Barry who commented on the Penny F cutout method I used.

Well I didn’t use Barry’s method to cut out between the spokes, this work (IMHO) was to delicate, I used another method that’s to long and drawn out to try to explain in a post, but I did use Barry’s method of layers and layer masks to cut out most of the characters, and yes brushes set to <10%.

As to the spoke cutout I’ll try and produce a video tutorial in the next couple of days and post you a link, (as I’m retired I don’t have anything better to do).

I’m also going to ask Ronnie West (If he can find the time) to write it up as a PDF and post it on his Web Site (I can’t afford Acrobat on my measly pension).

Now that Bill has given the invite, please lookout for my future sequences on his site.

Tom.

Tom,

You don't need expensive software to produce PDF files. I don't know whether you ever looked at the Audacity User Guide that I produced but that was written entirely with Microsoft Word and then turned into a PDF file using a piece of inexpensive software called deskPDF (see link below). I tried some of the freeware PDF creators but this one, at USD20, was better than any of the freewares that I tried.

http://www.docudesk.com/desk_pdf_product_home.shtml#

Hello,

On my private PC I avoid MS Office and use the free OpenOffice instead (of course both office suites will coexist, if needed). OpenOffice can read and write (more or less) the MS formats, and it has an excellent built in function to export documents in PDF.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Peter.

Shh! It's a ploy to get Ronnie to do the hard work.

Tom.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hello,

On my private PC I avoid MS Office and use the free OpenOffice instead (of course both office suites will coexist, if needed). OpenOffice can read and write (more or less) the MS formats, and it has an excellent built in function to export documents in PDF.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

I think you will find the open office draw programme wont convert to MS compliant.

Yachtsman1

A very enjoyable show Tom, well done. I will watch it again and am looking forward to the version you will post on Bills site.

I must echo the comments about the high quality of your cutout work, particularly the penny farthing bike spokes. I will definitely be looking at your video on this technique when you post it.

On the subject of the glasses I had a similar issue with one of my shows.

The attached image was in the show and at most camera clubs someone would comment they were out of place whereas no one commented when the DIAP was shown elsewhere. It would appear we photographers are a fussy lot. :lol: Maybe we are just more forthcoming with our critique.

I was happy with your image of the town crier and his specs.

post-3194-1214349298_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

Regarding the PDF issue - depending on which version of MS Word you have you can save a document directly as an Adobe PDF.

Whichever way you/Ronnie(?) prepare it I look forward to seeing how you've done your cutouts with such apparent precision.

Keith

A very enjoyable show Tom, well done. I will watch it again and am looking forward to the version you will post on Bills site.

I must echo the comments about the high quality of your cutout work, particularly the penny farthing bike spokes. I will definitely be looking at your video on this technique when you post it.

On the subject of the glasses I had a similar issue with one of my shows.

The attached image was in the show and at most camera clubs someone would comment they were out of place whereas no one commented when the DIAP was shown elsewhere. It would appear we photographers are a fussy lot. :lol: Maybe we are just more forthcoming with our critique.

I was happy with your image of the town crier and his specs.

Hi! John.

Video is is the pipe line.

For now I have taken a bit of a liberty with your image, have a look

post-552-1214406587_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Tom.

What do you think?

Yes I like it Tom.

I had thoughts along similar lines but just had not got around to it, you have prompted me, thanks I will now. :)