WnSoft Forums

My Camera and Me

fh1805

You can all blame Jeff Evans for this one. It was his response to my posting of the text of the poem that got me thinking about turning it into an AV.

(See here for his reply to that original post: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....st&p=55765)

The sequence is available for download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7836f6f...2db6fb9a8902bda

As always, I would welcome all kinds of feedback.

regards,

Peter

Peter, that is truly a clever, well executed idea!

I think Xaver's comment points out a potential dilemma for you. I had made a point of first reading your poem, thus the verbal was ok at your chosen speed. But for a viewer with a non-english native tongue, it could be indeed "too fast." (Xaver is very, very good with English, so that may not even be a factor. Maybe it is just personal preference.) As we all know, the pace of the photos needs to fit both the music and the speed of speech. I don't know if you could slow down both the photo-flow and the talk, and get your desired result. And I don't know that you would want to try, but it could be interesting. :)

Thanks for the enjoyment.

Xaver/Lumenlux,

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I know that there are many members of this forum for whom English is not their native tongue. If I was building my sequences to meet the needs of the Forum audience then I would have to take that into account. But I do not build my sequences for the Forum members. I don't build my sequences with any audiences in mind: I build them for me - because I want to take on that particular challenge.

If other people find it enjoyable when they see it, that's a bonus. And many people do find my work enjoyable. I have built up a good reputation among local organisations for the quality of my slide shows. (That may simply be a reflection of the general quality of the other slide shows that they see, I don't know). So, I do what I do, the way that I do it, because it give me satisfaction. The end result then seems to give satisfaction to the local organisations that I visit.

And so I live by my motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Regrettably perhaps, from the point of view of the forum members, I'll continue building the sequences my way. And I'll occasionally post one for feedback. But I will not build a new one or rework an existing one simply to meet the needs of a specific audience.

regards,

Peter

Postcript:

With regards to the challenges; all the sequences that I have posted to the forum had one:

- "My Camera and Me" - how to use a piece of poetry as the voice-over. The tempo of the sequence was fixed by the tempo of the poetry.

- "Kaleidoscope" - how to build a sequence without using photos.

- "Whitby Abbey" - how to combine both horizontal and vertical images in a pleasing manner

- "Mount Grace Priory" - making the statue float in the air

- "Skelton - Then and Now" - how to combine historic photos and modern ones

Peter

I really enjoyed the show and found the tempo to be fine.

One small suggestion is to replace/tweak the picture of the boats going up river ("We travelled all over and show little fear").

I thought this picture was not up to the excellent standard of all the others

Thanks for sharing the show with us.

Regards

Boogie

Boogie,

Thanks for the comments.

The fundamental problem with this kind of sequence is that it has, by its very nature, to draw upon the stock of images that already exist. For that line of verse I needed an image that conveyed the dual subject of "travel" and "fear". As you might imagine, the first part was fairly easy to satisfy, the second part was much harder. The dugout canoes were the "best fit" I could call to mind from my slide collection. I agree that it isn't as strong as some of the other images. But until I stumble across something better (and I'm not sure I have anything better), it will have to do.

regards,

Peter

Hi Lumenlux,

thank you for your friendly comment on my English. I'm pretty sure that you would be disappointed if we met in a conversation, where I had not enough time for the formulation, and without "dict.leo.org" at hand. Regarding Peter's production, it is difficult for me to decide if my comment refers to my non-English native tongue or if it is personal preference, maybe a mixture of both.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Xaver

search for shows by Peter Coles -- he likes to narrate them - see if you can follow his speech/narration - somebody might give you a link to other narrators on the forum if we mention it

then if you a represtative sampling you can determine if it is you or them :)

ken

Xaver/Ken,

I recall that, in the past, Tom Court (userid - Tomuk) has posted sequences that include voice-over. My own "Skelton - Then and Now" and "Lest We Forget" which I have posted in the past both included voice-over but I don't know whether they are still on MediaFire. I was doing some housekeeping of my files on that site recently and may have removed them.

Their links were:

"Lest We Forget" - http://www.mediafire.com/?29c0niyaxyd

"Skelton - Then and Now" - http://www.mediafire.com/?4tn2fbgu0jz

regards,

Peter

Xaver

search for shows by ...

Hi Ken,

normally I do not have many problems with AV-shows with English narration (and I had none with the "Camenra-and-me-production", but I would have liked to see the images a bit longer). So I think that there is no need for further research on this topic. Peter asked for some feedback, and I made a small remark, that's all . Peter can do and surely will do what he likes to, and that's fine.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich