WnSoft Forums

Icebergs

Mufi

I am with Barry and Peter 110% on this one.

This is an AV forum/site, or more correctly a Digital Image and Audio Presentation (DIAP) forum/site, and PTE is primarily an AV production tool, if we want to view still images and study them, or movies, DVDs and so on then there are many, many other sites that cater for this.

I except that an author will decide how his/her work will be presented and the viewer can except this or not as they wish.

As Ken said I will not change my screen resolution for anybody either, and as Barry said as viewers we always have the Escape key. :)

Now back to reality-

David

I enjoyed your show, thanks. The range of subtle colours reflected in the ice and the almost monochrome effect of the light in some shots was beautiful. Fading in the penguins on the iceberg and the use of the poem at the end were nice touches. I was happy with the music the mood matched the location, although I agree with others the editing of the sound track could be cleaned up somewhat.

Barry

Yes you can do Antarctic trips from Australia. Friends did one on a converted Russian ice-breaker last year from Hobart and although it was expensive they had nothing but praise for the company and the trip. They came back with some stunning images. I believe there are also trips from New Zealand available.

This is an AV forum/site, or more correctly a Digital Image and Audio Presentation (DIAP) forum/site, and PTE is primarily an AV production tool, if we want to view still images and study them, or movies, DVDs and so on then there are many, many other sites that cater for this.

I except that an author will decide how his/her work will be presented and the viewer can except this or not as they wish.

===================

Gee whiz. I don't think I was trying to mandate that everyone has to put in some controls in their slideshow for the viewers' sake. It was only a suggestion that I thought, at least for me, gives the viewing of PTE slideshows one more dimension. I think we'd better tell Igor he had better remove the 'control' features and the Navigation Bar from his program before the AV police find out.

Gary...

John

That's good news, I expected those types of holidays to be priced at the once in a lifetime level, but what a place to visit. Nothing else like it on earth I expect.

Gary

AV in the context we produce it here is designed as a whole piece of work. The whole point of it is to take the individual images and put them together to make something with much more impact than the images on their own would individually create.

During the 4-5 minute experience we try to make our show flow smoothly and capture a mood if possible. We try to capture our audience too if we can, so they have no thought of stopping the show or hitting the escape key.

Now that takes lots of dedication and effort, yet despite all that we don't always succeed, but that's life, you win some and you lose some. We rarely get rewarded for effort in any photographic project, just the end result.

Controlling a show is great when its right to do so, but in the context we produce them here it is not. People on this forum, being enthusiasts, will understand that all the author asks is that you sit down for 5 minutes and just watch their show.

I don't want you to stop my show or study the individual images, I want you to watch what I have presented to you. Otherwise all I have worked to produce is destroyed.

Look at slide shows that do work well and capture the audience and think about what it is that is doing that. It's not an individual image, it's the whole thing.

Being extreme for a minute, it's like presenting you with my prints along with a pair of scissors to adjust the composition.

2 cents worth? I reckon that you have spent at least a dollar ;)

Let's move on from this now, it has been done to death. For the record, I agree with Barry Beckham!

Ron

================

Ronnie...

I always like to hear others' opinions. I find it interesting that you think the discussion has been 'done to death' and you want to 'move on'. But then you add your own opinion, which I would want. That brings us up to $1.02? I'd say let the discussion continue, encouraging others to post their thoughts, not suppress them...$1.03... I even learned to use the arrow keys from one of your comments. Thanks again.

Gary :)

Last year we went on a "trip of a lifetime" to the Antarctic region. this is the first av result from the trip.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4qzyloeovl

David.

Dave,

I'm sorry that your thread was high-jacked.

I don't suppose you are interested at this moment on how your viewer can control your work, I know you made the post so others could see your work as presented, enjoy it and come back with some constructive comments, well all you got was some good critique on your sound track.

I have not posted critique as I can give you that in person down at the pub on Monday nights, so come on chaps, give David the same help as you gave me when I first asked way back in 2003, help thatt you continue to give to this day.

Tom

Tom,

You're quite right. The original purpose of David's posting has tended to get overlooked.

David,

Please accept my apologies as I was a party to the "hi-jack". Let me see if I can redress matters a little.

Firstly, having been on an Antarctic expedition cruise myself, your sequence brought back lots of happy memories for me. It also brought home to me just how many photo opportunities I let go begging!

Now to business. I concur with the comments about the soundtrack glitches so will not dwell on that here. I felt that the mood of the music was suitably complementary to the images. It certainly didn't jar with them. However, there may well be even better matches out there. But you work with what you have available at the time - this I know from personal experience!

On first viewing, there were times in the sequence when I felt you changed image too quickly. When I watched it a second time I realised that you seemed to be trying to match the image change rate (and the overall effect thus created) to the "twinkling sound" present in the music at that point. I'm not sure that this technique worked from the artistic standpoint. Yes, it is a good idea to mix up the pace of the sequence to give it variety; but I feel that matching the mood of the music (rather than its pace) is more important in a sequence of this kind. You could, perhaps, achieve the overall feel that you seemed to be striving for by varying the transition durations rather than the overall slide durations. The music you chose almost demands an overall relaxed pace to the sequence. So keep the slides moving at that general relaxed pace and introduce the change of tempo by shortening the transitions in preference to shortening the slide durations. As alternative treatments, consider using the mosaic transition to create a visual "twinkling" effect or bringing in images as small "pictures-in-picture" to build up a collage timed to the twinkling sound of the music.

I've tried to be constructive in this feedback. I hope you find it so.

regards,

Peter

P.S.

Tom, if you and David are in the same club, you've got competition!

Tom,

You're quite right. The original purpose of David's posting has tended to get overlooked.

David,

Please accept my apologies as I was a party to the "hi-jack". Let me see if I can redress matters a little.

========================

David...

I don't think it was really 'hi-jacked'. We just had a discourse on the fact that I just wanted to be able to, after watching your show several times as you presented it without interruption, pause on some of your images. Some objected to this. But I discovered that you did allow for the use of the spacebar to do this. Thanks, Ronnie.

After reading Peter's comments, I went back to see what he was talking about concerning 'the change of pace' on a few of the images. I noticed that too, but was not sure about it, at first, and I agree with Peter. There was no need, in my mind too, to change the pace, especially since the pace of the music did not change.

A couple more things, if I may... The two slides where you have the penguins off the ice, then on the ice. I would have reversed those images. I think it would have given a better feeling of 'desolation' and 'lonelyness' with the disappearance of the 'life'.

And, I did not feel comfortable not having the initial caps in your text, nor periods in the sentences. I think you were trying to be artistic but I think using only lower case only works with ee cummings. In the poem, I would have had a fancy initial cap to start the 't' in "The". Charles G. D. Roberts, if I am not mistaken, does not write all in lower case like ee cummings...I could be wrong. It was just a distraction to me.

But, again, I really enjoyed your photography and the music, put together as a PTE! Am I up to $1.06??? :D

Gary

==============================

Last year we went on a "trip of a lifetime" to the Antarctic region. this is the first av result from the trip.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4qzyloeovl

David.

David

Just viewed your show and thought it was extremely good and it did hold my attention throughout. I found myself finding all sorts of objects and animals formed by the melting icebergs as they appeared on the screen and I think the title of the AV is very suitable. However, one small thing I did find distracting was the change of music at times through the show. Never the less I found it visually satisfying to watch and will view it again. Many thanks for sharing your trip of a lifetime with us all

Paul