WnSoft Forums

Icebergs

Mufi

David

I enjoyed this slide show as it is a fascinating subject and one that I would like to photograph one day. We are moving to Australia soon, so perhaps a trip like yours will be possible into the Southern Ocean. I have no idea if that is feasible, but I will find out when we get there.

I didn't find the music very inspiring in your AV and feel there are many more choices that would enhance your show greatly. The images carried it more for me than the music, which was OK, but not special. You also seem to have joined the music a number of times and I could hear an interruption in that sound, which doesn't help the flow of your show.

I think this sequence is great, but feel you could elevate it significantly with better music. Please remember this is just one persons views and you can't please all of the people all of the time. :rolleyes: Others will have a different view I am sure.

If you could let us know a little more about a trip like that, I for one would be interested.

David

I enjoyed this slide show as it is a fascinating subject and one that I would like to photograph one day. We are moving to Australia soon, so perhaps a trip like yours will be possible into the Southern Ocean. I have no idea if that is feasible, but I will find out when we get there.

I didn't find the music very inspiring in your AV and feel there are many more choices that would enhance your show greatly. The images carried it more for me than the music, which was OK, but not special. You also seem to have joined the music a number of times and I could hear an interruption in that sound, which doesn't help the flow of your show.

I think this sequence is great, but feel you could elevate it significantly with better music. Please remember this is just one persons views and you can't please all of the people all of the time. :rolleyes: Others will have a different view I am sure.

If you could let us know a little more about a trip like that, I for one would be interested.

==================

Barry and David...

First of all I found the images in the slideshow to be terrific. As an amateur photographer and a fan of travel, I hope David will expand on the hows, whats and whens of this trip. But, I am glad that Barry opened the door a crack for critiques. We don't see much of that but I find it interesting to get opinions on the different shows that are posted.

Contrary to Barry's feel for the music that David selected, I found it just right. I thought it matched my sense of what the area is...quiet, serious and thoughtful. I agree that glitch in the middle of the music should not be there. And I do feel that the music selected is really critical to the enjoyment of the show.

One thing that I might add about slideshows in general is that I really dislike it when the Navigation Bar is not included--and I think no one does except for me. So many times I would like to pause at a slide, maybe to just start at it, or call my wife to take a look or just to answer the phone, etc. And I would like to go back to a particular image. Most require me to start from scratch. Yes, some allow the Pause or the Mouse to be used but by the time I figure out what the show allows, it is too late, and usually can't go backwards to view an image. I would like to encourage people to put in the Navigation Bar, which can be hidden and appear only when needed. It would make watching the shows so much easier and enjoyable for, at least, me... :blink:

Great show... Thanks... Gary

Also, after pressing the spacebar to pause the show, you can use the left and right curser keys to move forward or backward one slide at a time.

PTE is just great isn't it? :)

Ron

PS. The iceberg shots are excellent by the way!

Guys - this is just what I need, and I think, as with still photography it is very difficult to see your work in a detached way, as we are looking at it in, let's be honest, a biased way.

The Antarctic trip was a cruise that was called by the cruise line, with some justification, an expedition. We had the comfort of a cruise ship and the "adventure" of the Zodiak transfers to the beaches that were a bit "hairy" at times. The icebergs were a surprise to me as we don't see them around the seas in the UK and I had not realised how beautiful they could be.

I am not sure if any similar trips are available from other parts of the world - this one started in Buenos Areas and took us to the Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic peninsular.

David.

No, I meant the pause button, Pause a show? hit the pause button. It seems logical to me, but then I don't do technical very well.

:rolleyes:

=============

The Pause Key on the keyboard does not always work. Nor does the Spacebar always work, either. Most of the time, nothing works to Pause the show or any way to move around from image to image manually, if you want. And if you give the show to someone who is not familiar with all these keyboard possibilities or tell them to download a show from Beechbrook, I don't think anyone will figure it out. I have been downloading other shows and I rarely am able to control a show. I did not even know that after hitting the Spacebar, that the arrow keys would work until Ronnie mentioned it above. :rolleyes: Thanks...Ronnie!

I know some don't want a viewer to have any controls but I think it is a big mistake. I would prefer to have the Navigation Bar appear when I move the mouse to be able to Pause, go Back or Forward. Maybe it is just me but that is what I hope more PTE users would put in their shows when the post them on Beechbrook, etc.

Thanks... Gary

=============

And if you give the show to someone who is not familiar with all these keyboard possibilities or tell them to download a show from Beechbrook, I don't think anyone will figure it out. I have been downloading other shows and I rarely am able to control a show. I did not even know that after hitting the Spacebar, that the arrow keys would work until Ronnie mentioned it above. :rolleyes: Thanks...Ronnie!

I know some don't want a viewer to have any controls but I think it is a big mistake. I would prefer to have the Navigation Bar appear when I move the mouse to be able to Pause, go Back or Forward. Maybe it is just me but that is what I hope more PTE users would put in their shows when the post them on Beechbrook, etc.

Thanks... Gary

You are right Gary. See here for my non-elegant, simple method.

And on Beechbrook, my presentation Morning Glory

uses a more elaborate explanation for the viewers.

Thanks... Gary

Gary, well ask yourself why they don't.

Maybe it is because it destroys the flow of the show which the author has worked hard to achieve. That is the point of Audio Visual unless we are creating a presentation that demands user control.

INMHO

this forum is not the ultimate judging panel -- some people would like to study the photos and are not really interested in the sound -- if the show was being viewed in an open office they would have the sound turned off -- if they used a headset they might be accused of "dawdling" on the job -- why cant people post 2 shows - control or no control -- especially when it is so easy to do --

I have brought this point up many times -- I have downloaded 99.9% of posted shows and have seen very few where the sync'ing of the sound had any bearing on the flow of the slides

If an author uses narration to match up with slide timing i can see control or if they are making a specific show such as Peter's "Kaleidoscope " where the music is really combined with the slides

too many times the viewer asks about how the picture was taken - there would quite likely be more if they could study the picts - a well presented show would have the details of the music used at the end and if the show was put together properly, those details would stay on the screen long enough for the viewer to make notes

ken

You are right Gary. See here for my non-elegant, simple method.

And on Beechbrook, my presentation Morning Glory

uses a more elaborate explanation for the viewers.

==================

Thanks... I checked out Morning Glory, too. Yes, a good way to inform viewers how to control the show if they want. I still feel that the Navigation Bar that you can create within PTE is so simple and easy and you can control how long it stays on the screen and its size, color, etc... is the way to go. I just like to have the ability to pause/resume anyway that I can get it. Thanks...Gary

Gary

What you need for that is a Browser, you don't need to complexities of PTE to look at pictures. You can study the pictures to your hearts content and play your own music or not as the case may be.

It ain't AV as I know it and I am fairly confident that the majority among those PTE enthusiasts I come into contact with would agree with me.

Perhaps my next AV could consist of just a folder of images only :rolleyes:

And my preference (at this point) is to avoid the navigation bar showing on the photos we want to fully appreciate. Therefor I normally accept Igor's default which allows the pause/forward/reverse if we feel it is worth informing viewers that may want the feature of which they are most often not aware. One thing clear to me is that Igor has offered enough to accommodate all of us with our needs and preferences. :)

Ken,

Firstly, can I pick up on a point you made when you wrote:

...why cant people post 2 shows - control or no control...

Where are we going to draw the line on this?

- control or no control

- sound or no sound

- 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or... all the other screen resolutions

Multiply up all the possible options, and how many sequence variants are there going to be?

Secondly, the decision about which options and settings to use has to be left to the show's creator - unless they're working to a specific commission. I firmly believe that each sequence should be created to meet the primary demand that is seen for it. If others don't like it done that way - that's just tough!

"Permit control..." has got value for those of us who take our shows out to the local community. It gives me a facility that I actually had need of back in the days of slide-tape sequences. On two separate occasions I have been in the middle of a synchronized slide-tape show when the fire alarm has gone off in the hall being used - and we've had to evacuate the building. Thankfully, in those days, all I needed to do was hit the "pause" key on the tape player. When I switched to digital AV I couldn't see how I was going to have the same flexibility in such a situation. And then, through this forum, I found out what the "Permit control..." option allowed.

regards,

Peter

Gary

What you need for that is a Browser, you don't need to complexities of PTE to look at pictures. You can study the pictures to your hearts content and play your own music or not as the case may be.

It ain't AV as I know it and I am fairly confident that the majority among those PTE enthusiasts I come into contact with would agree with me.

Perhaps my next AV could consist of just a folder of images only :rolleyes:

============================

Ok, you're getting a little silly now. :rolleyes: That is not what I am suggesting. Why go to that extreme? I don't want to take away any of the production values of the slide show. I like to see other people's creativity exactly how they want to have it created. I'd just like to be able to use one of the very nice features Igor has put into the program, whether it is the default setting to permit control via the keyboard or the Nav Bar.

Next time you rent a DVD movie, you are NOT allowed to pause/resume/go back or advance!!!! If you miss what someone said or did, you have to start the movie all over again and watch from the beginning!!! How about that??? ;)

Gary :D