WnSoft Forums

Size of slideshow is too big

arendsoog

I made a slideshow of 30 slides. One mp3 soundtrack. Two animations. Two titles, one zoom in and zoom out, one scrolling.

The total size of the exe file is 140 MB. Others people have much smaller sizes.

My original photos were about 5 MB each and 2500 x 2500 pixels.

I made new "originals", 1024 x 1024 pixels and about 200 KB each.

I made a new exe, but the size is 140 MB again.

How can I degrease the size of the exe file?

Hi,

You apparently didn't load the new originals. You must leave PTE (close it out) and re-open to load the new images. If you already have them in a separate folder or you resized them in the original folder just quite PTE and re-open so they are not in the memory or cache and when you remake the exe file it will be MUCH smaller.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi,

You apparently didn't load the new originals. You must leave PTE (close it out) and re-open to load the new images. If you already have them in a separate folder or you resized them in the original folder just quite PTE and re-open so they are not in the memory or cache and when you remake the exe file it will be MUCH smaller.

Best regards,

Lin

I resized the images from the basic originals, then removed the "old originals for pte", then I moved the new (resized) images to the folder as originals for pte.

Then I made an exe file, and the size is the same 140 MB.

I did not renamed the new images because I don't know if the whole slideshow is damaged then.

Sorry for my late reaction, but I expected a messagewarning in my mailbox for every reply on this forum.

Because I did not see that in my mailbox I looked at the forum and saw the replies.

Thank you all for support.

But the problem is still there.

Are there other suggestions?

Arendsoog

It is always difficult to help solve a problem like yours from a distance as we almost always need more information. From what you say it does appear that you may have made a mistake somewhere along the way and your slide show is still using high resolution images. The fact that it is still 140 megabyte is evidence of that.

Have another look at the folder of images being used for your show. Look at them via windows explorer and the images should be something like 200-300kb in size. Make sure the folder you are looking at is the actual one which PTE is using for the images. I made a daft mistake once with two folders of images where I thought I was saving images to the right folder when I wasn't.

It baffled the hell out of until the penny dropped and then I had to smile at how easy it is to get tied up in a knot.

Hi arendsoog,

If you have created smaller image files but using the same name for these image files as they had originally, you need to place these smaller sized files into the folder that the originals are in (clearly you will first need to move those originals out to some other folder to preserve them).

Then launch PTE and open the PTE project file that you were working on. It should pick up the smaller sized files. You can check that it has by setting your PTE window so that it shows the slides as thumbnails across the lower part of the window - called the Slide List area. Select one of the slide thumbnails by clicking on it in the Slide List and then look down at the very bottom of the PTE window, to the information bar. It will show you something like this:

- EXE - zz MB - yyy KB - rrrr x ssss - D:/ppppp/ppppp/ppppp/iiiiiii.jpg

The "zz MB" is the size the PTE predicts the EXE file will be when you create it.

The "yyy KB" is the size of the PTE project file (the .pte file) which is simply a file of instructions to PTE

The "rrrr x ssss" is the size of the selected image expressed as pixels wide by pixels high

The long string si the path and filename of the selected image file (i.e. it tells you on which drive and which folder the image file is to be found and what the image file is called.

You should, from the information displayed for your own project, be able to check that PTE is picking up your resized images from where you expect it to.

regards,

Peter

P.S.

Lin Evans is not Linda Evans - Lin is a "he".

Thank you all!

bbdigital brought me to the point.

I am a newbie in PTE.

So I made some exercise in a folder named testfolder.

The result was too good to lose it.

So I made a new folder with the name of the project.

I copied all the files from testfolder to the new folder.

I made an exe file and saw the size was too big.

So I resized my images and renamed them to the same names of the originals,

removed the originals and copied the new resized images to the folder with the projectname.

Then I made a new exe file and saw the size was still too big, 140 MB.

bbdigital gave me the hint and I copied the resized images to the testfolder too.

I made a new exe file and.....yes, the size was much smaller...21 MB.

So far, so good, I am happy and thank you all.

One question: how can I get the whole project in the folder with the projectname in a way that

I can work from out that folder?

Hi arendsoog,

It sounds as if you are adopting the good practice of keeping everything for each sequence in a folder that is used only for that sequence. If so, and if you are using the latest version of PTE (v5.52), proceed as follows:

- launch PTE and open the project that is giving the small size

- do File---Create backup in zip and let PTE save the file

- close down PTE

- use Windows Explorer to find the zip file and move it to some other safe place (not either of the two existing folders)

- still in Windows Explorer, delete the projectname folder and all its contents

- now create a new, empty projectname folder

- next, extract the contents of the zip file into this new folder

- then delete the testfolder and all its contents

You've now arrived at a point where the only copy of the image files and pte files (and any associated music) is the copy in the newly created projectname folder.

Finally, launch PTE and open the project out of the new projectname folder. It should all work as before and give you the small size that you want.

If anything goes wrong, the original folders and their contents should still be available in the Recycle Bin.

regards,

Peter

Ken,

We've already got this draft (http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8718) which discusses Templates from one particular angle. Are you suggesting we should have another FAQ covering the use of templates to save a copy of the sequence contents?

Or is the best solution to have an FAQ on the subject of: How can I save my pte project file and all the image and music files so that I can recreate everything at a later date or on another computer? (I'd have to shorten that title because of the field length limit on the forum!)

regards

Peter

P.S.

First two FAQs were finalized yesterday. I'll be doing some more later today. We've now got a programme that is rolling!

"Or is the best solution to have an FAQ on the subject of: How can I save my pte project file and all the image and music files so that I can recreate everything at a later date or on another computer? (I'd have to shorten that title because of the field length limit on the forum!)"

I would suggest one faq and include the template and zip features of pte program

ken

Hi arendsoog,

It sounds as if you are adopting the good practice of keeping everything for each sequence in a folder that is used only for that sequence. If so, and if you are using the latest version of PTE (v5.52), proceed as follows:

- launch PTE and open the project that is giving the small size

- do File---Create backup in zip and let PTE save the file

- close down PTE

- use Windows Explorer to find the zip file and move it to some other safe place (not either of the two existing folders)

- still in Windows Explorer, delete the projectname folder and all its contents

- now create a new, empty projectname folder

- next, extract the contents of the zip file into this new folder

- then delete the testfolder and all its contents

You've now arrived at a point where the only copy of the image files and pte files (and any associated music) is the copy in the newly created projectname folder.

Finally, launch PTE and open the project out of the new projectname folder. It should all work as before and give you the small size that you want.

If anything goes wrong, the original folders and their contents should still be available in the Recycle Bin.

regards,

Peter

Thank you.

It succeeded!

Glad to meet the PTE program and this Forum (where-in you all).

Hi arendsoog,

Nice to know we've another happy customer!

Be warned though, building A-V sequences in PTE can become very addictive. Enjoy the experience - and the friendship to be found here.

regards,

Peter

Hi,

Better to be addictive to A-V sequences then other stuff....

And I am enjoying.

Greetings,

Arendsoog

Arendsoog,

For a first attempt that was very good. You certainly know how to control the lighting and the shadows when doing table-top photography! And that is one of the most demanding of all forms of photography.

With a sequence such as this, where the images do not have a specific "mood", the choice of music is perhaps less critical than in other cases. I enjoyed the pan-pipes (that's my kind of music for chilling out to!) but others may not.

I felt that one or two of the images were not as sharp as they should be. It looked as if you had lost control of either the depth of field or the plane of sharp focus on some of them.

The deep zoom was an excellent idea and the choice of image for it was ideal - but it went perhaps a little too deep. The image was taken beyond the point where pixel interpolation (the adding of pixels by the software) became apparent.

In some respects I felt the second part (after the deep zoom) was better than the first part. I say this because now you were mixing up the transition effects. The first part had a very steady rhythm and the transitions seemed to be all simple fades. In the second part there was variety, which made it a more interesting viewing experience.

Your occasional use of animation (bouncing eggs, rocking eggs and the hopping bunny at the end) also introduced variety - although the final "bounce" of the middle egg seemed just a bit too high.

If this is the standard you can achieve at your first attempt, a lot of us are going to have to work hard to stay ahead of you.

Well done! and thanks for letting us share this work.

regards,

Peter

Arendsoog,

For a first attempt that was very good. You certainly know how to control the lighting and the shadows when doing table-top photography! And that is one of the most demanding of all forms of photography.

With a sequence such as this, where the images do not have a specific "mood", the choice of music is perhaps less critical than in other cases. I enjoyed the pan-pipes (that's my kind of music for chilling out to!) but others may not.

I felt that one or two of the images were not as sharp as they should be. It looked as if you had lost control of either the depth of field or the plane of sharp focus on some of them.

The deep zoom was an excellent idea and the choice of image for it was ideal - but it went perhaps a little too deep. The image was taken beyond the point where pixel interpolation (the adding of pixels by the software) became apparent.

In some respects I felt the second part (after the deep zoom) was better than the first part. I say this because now you were mixing up the transition effects. The first part had a very steady rhythm and the transitions seemed to be all simple fades. In the second part there was variety, which made it a more interesting viewing experience.

Your occasional use of animation (bouncing eggs, rocking eggs and the hopping bunny at the end) also introduced variety - although the final "bounce" of the middle egg seemed just a bit too high.

If this is the standard you can achieve at your first attempt, a lot of us are going to have to work hard to stay ahead of you.

Well done! and thanks for letting us share this work.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your compliments.

You are right where you see not the perfect photos.

But in the beginning it was only to exercise.

Then I liked the endresult and saved it.

I think music is the most difficult part of making slideshows or videofilms.

Mostly you spent more time to find the music then making the film.

But your comment is very welcom.

By comment I can learn to make a more perfect slideshow.

Greetings,

Aard

Aard,

I think music is the most difficult part of making slideshows or videofilms.

Mostly you spent more time to find the music then making the film.

You are absolutely right. A good choice of music can result in a very pleasing sequence. A poor choice of music can result in a sequence that fails to please.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in future.

regards,

Peter

Peter, I am happy t see that you and others, have helped out here. I was interested to see the tip about the zip backup template thingy. I look forward to seeing the polished version in the FAQ's. Thank you.