WnSoft Forums

OFF TOPIC HELP

JEB

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a Batch File Re-namer (preferably free!) that will allow me to insert a prefix in front of the existing file name?

I have tried but can’t find a way of doing it with IrfanView.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Could you be specific - give an example. Irfanview can rename about any way you choose but I'm not certain what you want to do exactly. Just give the old filename and what you want to rename to and I'll help you figure it out.

Lin

Hi Lin,

I have several batches of files each with individual file names (the title the author has given to the image) which I wish to prefix with each author's initials.

Tron Kirk.JPG

St Giles Cathedral. JPG

I wish to change to-

ABC Tron Kirk.JPG

ABC St Giles Cathedral. JPG

I also have batches from individuals who have not changed the camera generated file name (IMG 1234) where I have easily substituted their initials for the IMG with IrfanView. It is the former example I am having problems with.

Thanks in anticipation!

John

potwnc

Thanks for your input but I'm sure you will understand if I can do this with IrfanView that would be best.

Regards

John

Hi John

After reading your post I thought I would give Irfanview a try.

I normally do not use this program for batch re-naming, Lin please correct me if I have missed something.

Irfanview

Click on File – choose “ Batch Conversion/Rename “

Top Left choose – Batch rename

In section “ Batch rename settings “ click “ Options “

Look at the Name Pattern box ($N) this is the string to retain your original file name.

If you insert text into this location as ABC_$N ( click OK )

This will rename all your selected files as

ABC_original_file_name.jpg

In “ Batch Conversion window “ top right section – select your files – click “ ADD “

Click – “ Start Batch “

I would fully recommend trying it with a few test files first !.

In the Batch Conversion “ Options “ box read the “ Help “ “ Batch Conversion/Rename “ section.

Quote:

Please be very carefully when you use rename and first test your options with dummy files; batch rename can be very powerful = dangerous! Using bad name pattern, combined with options like Move/Rename original/input files and/or Overwrite existing files, you can, under special circumstances, remove all input/original files! Please do not use these options, until you REALLY know what you are doing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

post-14-1221383287_thumb.jpg ----- post-14-1221383333_thumb.jpg

Ralph, Lin,

Thank you very much for your help. I was not putting the underscore (_) in and probably had the $N in the wrong position. As soon as I did that it worked.

Thank you all for your time. I couldn't believe that IrfanView could not do this as it does so much else.

Can I try my luck and ask something else?

I don't understand the method nor the maths of how to do a batch crop of images of different aspect ratios and sizes (3936x2624 (1.5), 2154x1587 (1.35)) down to 1024x768.

I can get a re-size down to 768 (hight) but that then requires every image to be set to Cover Slide within O&A within PTE, resulting in an overlap of the image down each edge of the frame. This I could live with and indeed could well be the best way forward, as it leaves a bit of freedom to manoeuvre, that an arbitrary crop would not permit.

It's just bugging me that I can't work it out.

I'm just thick!

John

Hi John take a look at Lupas Rename http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/lupasrename.php It's freeware, very small and will batch rename just about any way you want it to. I use it alot and it saves me a great deal of time and effort.

Geoff

Hi John,

Looks like Ralph has properly addressed the rename issue - everyone seems to be up and at it earlier than I am this morning - LOL...

Actually, the way you are doing is probably the best because if you set a batch up to crop images of different aspect ratios, you will by probability not get the crop where you want it. Irfanview's crop lets you set the coordinates for opposite diagonal corners which are to be cropped so the issue is that if you apply this to images of differing aspect ratios you may be disappointed in the results.

Personally I much prefer to do cropping on individual images rather than try to do batch cropping. Batch resizing works well.

Best regards,

Lin

.....................Can I try my luck and ask something else?

I don't understand the method nor the maths of how to do a batch crop of images of different aspect ratios and sizes (3936x2624 (1.5), 2154x1587 (1.35)) down to 1024x768.

I can get a re-size down to 768 (hight) but that then requires every image to be set to Cover Slide within O&A within PTE, resulting in an overlap of the image down each edge of the frame. This I could live with and indeed could well be the best way forward, as it leaves a bit of freedom to manoeuvre, that an arbitrary crop would not permit.

It's just bugging me that I can't work it out.

I'm just thick!

John

Hi,

Thank you ALL for your replies. I have had a look at all the products that have been suggested and have decided to stick, at least for the moment, with IrfanView.

My reason being that it appears to do all I, at the moment want.

Lin's latest reply confirms, as I suspected, that the crop option is not really a goer, so I will stick with a resize.

The purpose for all of this is that I am at the start of a new club project which involves hundreds of images from six different people covering about 9 locations and I am trying to set up a filing system that will be robust enough to see us through the project. These will be working images. Any need for PZR or selective cropping or indeed other PS work will require going back to the originals.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Regards

John