WnSoft Forums

Sync Music and Slide Show

fgdfgd

Frank,

In Project Options...Main tab try ticking both "Synchronize music and slides" and "Auto spread slides along music". This will do what you want but if you look at the sequence in the Timeline display it will appear as though the slides will extend way beyond the music or stop short of the music depending on whether you have too many or too few. If you Preview the sequence it will adjust all the timings so that they fit the music duration exactly.

If you want the Timeline display to show things as they will really be then do "Arrange All Points" off the "Timed Points" button.

regards,

Peter

Frank,

In Project Options...Main tab try ticking both "Synchronize music and slides" and "Auto spread slides along music". This will do what you want but if you look at the sequence in the Timeline display it will appear as though the slides will extend way beyond the music or stop short of the music depending on whether you have too many or too few. If you Preview the sequence it will adjust all the timings so that they fit the music duration exactly.

If you want the Timeline display to show things as they will really be then do "Arrange All Points" off the "Timed Points" button.

regards,

Peter

=================

Peter,

This requirement where you have to go into the Timeline to click on "Arrange All Points" is a real bug-a-boo that I find with PTE. It seems there are many questions just like this where a less experienced user finds that the music ends before the slides end, when they are trying to have the slides sync'd with the music. If one has all the music and slides sync'd, but then adds more images, the only way to re-sync them to the music is to go into the Timeline and click on the "Arrange All Points" (even if you have 'Autospread...' checked). I have made many shows and I frequently forget to do that step to re-sync'd the show after I have added more images. I have mentioned this before and suggested that this step be moved next to where the O&A button is located, for example. Maybe I am incorrect in my thinking because I have not received any agreement with this suggestion that I have posted before. Wouldn't this help out??? Gary

Garry, your problem with the "Arrange All Points" is indicative of a larger problem that exists for most users, (new and experienced alike), of PTE in the audio area. However I do not see the answer is to add or move yet another audio function button to another part of the program.

The answer as I see it is to simplify the audio area by bring all the audio functionally into the one area of PTE where it then sits in-front of the user and becomes intuitive in the relationship of one function to another and to the images. At the moment we have audio functions and/or options scattered under the Project/Main, Project/Music, Customise Slide/Music, Timeline area, Main Screen/Add Sound, Menu Bar and others areas I haven't remembered.

This simplification could be done by making the audio timeline interactive and placing all the audio functions on or under it. This would be available to the user from the current "Display Audio Timeline" button. If the user has no need for the audio functions then all of this area remains out of the way and simplifies the program for them, (just as the O/A area is for PZR functions). If the user wishes to add/manipulate audio they simply click the audio timeline display button and have all the audio functions and the audio timeline there in one place.

In the past I have proposed this and received favourable feedback, for more details see --

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....50&hl=audio

the 11th post down from the start.

I hope Igor will consider it.

Garry, your problem with the "Arrange All Points" is indicative of a larger problem that exists for most users, (new and experienced alike), of PTE in the audio area. However I do not see the answer is to add or move yet another audio function button to another part of the program.

======================

John... I don't consider this problem with "Arrange All Points" to be an audio issue. To me, it has to do with 'synchronization'. When I am in the Classic View, I don't want to have to get into the Timeline View just to re-sync the slides to the music. I'd just like the button to do this to be up front right in the Classic View screen. In fact, I'd also like the Classic View to have an indication where the audio files start and stop. This would leave the Timeline View to the more advanced users but allow the Classic View to offer an indication, if you have more than one audio file, where the audio begins/ends in relationship to the images. One step further would be to bring in the waveform vertically into the Classic View window. That would make me very happy. I just don't feel comfortable in the Timeline View when I am only trying to sync the slides with the music. My main point was that I don't think one should have to jump from the Classic View to the Timeline View just to re-sync the slides to the music.

Gary

Gary,

What is "synchronization" about if not about working with both the images and the audio at the same time? If you have no audio you have nothing to "synchronize" against. Don't be frightened by the Timeline. It's just a different way of showing your sequence details. The Slide List shows you your images in the order that you have chosen; but it gives no indication at all about how those images are laid out along a timeline. The Timeline view shows you how your images are laid out along the timeline; but gives you no idea what each image looks like - unless you click on one of the numbered "flags", at which point you see that image in the mini-player.

There is so much information that we need to see about our images, soundtrack, timings, transition effects, objects, animations etc. that it is impossible to fit everything into one window. We have to have a series of windows, each based upon a particular aspect of the sequence. And so we have:

- Slide List - to see images

- Timeline - to see timings and soundtrack waveform

- O&A - to see objects and animation

John's suggestion about bringing all the "audio" bits together into one place makes a lot of sense.

regards,

Peter

John,

I could not agree more regarding your point of simplifying things.

I have to say that I am at this point in time just a little bit concerned about what is about to come with the latest upgrade.

I do hope the Igor has taken the opportunity to rationalise things like this, rather than introduce yet more "fancy" facilities, that no doubt will be of the highest calibre, but in my view, less valuable at this point in time than a tidy up of what we have.

Just stirring!!

But my tongue is NOT in my cheek!

Regards

John

P.S. Will be happy to swallow my words come release.

John & John,

I, too, would like to see further improvement to the user interface. I think a good approach would be if Igor and his team were to alternate between adding new "fancy" features in one release then, while we get to grips with those new features, in the next version produce a revision of the user interface with only very limited new function. (A bit like he did with v5.0 - massive new function in O&A - followed by v5.5 - limited new function but a major rework of the user interface).

But, like you, I'll just have to wait and see what is in v5.6. For all we know there might be some improvements to the user interface. Patience has to be the name of the game, I think.

regards,

Peter

Peter...

You said "What is "synchronization" about if not about working with both the images and the audio at the same time? If you have no audio you have nothing to "synchronize" against." When I talk about 'synchronization', I am only talking about just spreading the images over the length of the inserted music. Perhaps, there should be two different terms, 'synchronization' and 'spreading'. Synch'ing is like moving the images to appear to the beats of the music; 'spreading' is arranging the slides to be spaced out evenly over the length of the music. So maybe we are not talking about the same thing??? To make it more complex, I think selecting the 'Synchronize music and slides' keeps the music spread over the length of the slides, no matter where you start the show.

The way I see it is that you can have music without 'synchronization'--using the 'spead' definition. So, the 'Arrange All Points' is just moving the slides to be spread out over the span of the music. To me, this is not an 'audio' function, since you are not doing anything to the audio you already have inserted. You are just 're-spreading' the slides equally across the music.

I think the problem is that when 'Auto spread slides along music' is checked, it does not really keep the slides equally spread along the music. If you later add more images, you have to go into the Timeline View and click on 'Arrange All Points' to insure the slides get re-spread across the music. I think it would be nice to have the 'Arrange...' button also in the Classic View (so you don't have to get into the Timeline View). When I try to explain to a novice that you have to check 'Auto spread slides along music' but it does not really spread images that are added later and you have to go into the Timeline View and click 'Arrange All Points' after each time you add more images...it does not make sense--especially if the person does not need to use any of the other more advanced functions in the Timeline View.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I think I understand where you're coming from, as they say. I've never really tried to use "Auto Spread.." or "Arrange All Points" except to understand questions posed by others (such as yourself). I need to spend a little more time doing some experimentation to improve my understanding. I'll be back later this week.

regards,

Peter

Frank,

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Are you running Vista? I tried your suggestions on my Vista Ultra computer, but unfortunately I am still unable to get a perfect sync to music. The show stops and the music is chopped off. On my laptop running XP I have no problems so I suspect the problem may be Vista. I have had similar problems with other programs on my Vista machine that run fine on my laptop.

Regards,

Don

Don,

Yes I use Vista (Home Premium SP1) but it isn't a Vista issue. I've just done a quick test as follows:

I created a sequence of seven slides, each of duration 7 seconds - total sequence time 49 seconds and gave it a piece of music (via Project Options...Music) that was 30 seconds long. With "Synchronize music and slides" ticked and "Auto spread slides along music" not ticked I then Preview-ed the show. The music ran for 30 seconds and the slides kept on going for 49 seconds - exactly as I expected.

I then ticked "Auto spread slides along music" and Preview-ed again. This time the slides and the music both ran for 30 seconds.

Finally, I removed one slide and Preview-ed once more. Again the slides (only 6 of them now) and the music ran through together for 30 seconds.

Everything behaves just as I expected it would. When I look at the Timeline, all six slides are greyed out at their 7 second spacing, there's a red line at Music ends (also greyed out) and a long warning in blue text about Auto spread being ticked in Project Options.

PTE is doing exactly what it should in this situation.

I firmly believe that the real problem here is that "Synchronise music and slides" is misleading. It doesn't do what inexperienced users expect it to do. It doesn't synchronise the length of the slides to the length of the music. What it does is to ensure that, when you do a Preview from a slide other than the first slide, the position of the soundtrack is synchronized to the start point within the sequence: i.e. if you start at a slide that is 1 min and 43 secs into the sequence then the soundtrack file is positioned to 1 min 43 secs - and the sequence then runs from that point fully synchronized to real time.

It isn't a fault in PTE. It isn't a problem with Vista. Everything is working as it is supposed to work. It's the user who thinks it should do something else.

regards,

Peter

...It isn't a fault in PTE. It isn't a problem with Vista. Everything is working as it is supposed to work. It's the user who thinks it should do something else.

regards,

Peter

====================

Peter... Sure, if you press the right buttons in the right sequence, everything works. :) However, if it is not intuitive, then, maybe, there can be some improvement in the programs menus to make 'everything work' better.

I have been scratching my head about this issue because I really think the menus can be tweaked a bit to make it clearer. Here are my latest thoughts:

1- Move the Auto spread slides along music from Project Options to be a button to the right of Objects and Animation.

I say this because it is a button that you would click on each time you add/remove slides from the Slide List to re-spread the images over the length of the music. I would also rename this button to be Spread slides over length of music. And each time slides are added or removed, the button should become bolded to draw attention that it should be re-clicked to re-spread the slides. (Currently, even though Auto spread slides along music is selected, it does not actually keep the slides spread over the music. You have to go into the Timeline/Timed Points to click on Arrange all points each time slides are added/removed to re-spread the slides.)

2- I would also remove the Arrange all points from the Timeline/Timed Points menu.

I would do this because you would have direct access to the newly positioned Spread slides over length of music, mentioned above, and I don't think this function necessarily belongs in the Timed Points menu.

I think this would solve this recurring issue where the user thinks the program is not doing what he thinks it should be doing. I say all of this from the standpoint of someone who practically always likes to spread the slides over the length of the music. I don't think it would step on the toes of those who use the Timeline to do more fancy things.

What do you think....???Gary

Added later... Perhaps Synchronize music and slides should be renamed Spread/Lock Music Over Slides.

Gary,

I've just done a more comprehensive test along the same lines as before except that this time I removed a slide via the slide list, added a slide via the slide list, removed a slide via the timeline and added a slide via the timeline. After each change I Preview-ed the sequence. And each time I Preview-ed it, it spread the slides out evenly to the music. If, however, I run it in the mini-player area then it doesn't abide by the auto-spread request.

So, by implication (but I haven't tested this), I would expect the Create to create an exe that behaved just like the Preview-ed version.

Bottom line is that PTE is behaving very intuitively in all situations except when played back through the mini-player. Now, it's possible that Igor might regard this as a bug. I personally would do so. I believe the slide sequence (in terms of timings) should appear the same irrespective of whether it is Preview-ed or played in the mini-player.

As far as I can see, there's absolutely no need for any of the options to be changed or moved around in any of the windows.

Re your additional comment: "Synchronize music and slides" does not spread the slides along the music. It is not intended to do this. Read my previous post. "Auto spread..." is the option that is intended to do this - and it does it very well and every time!

regards,

Peter

Added later:

The whole idea of the values in the various Project Options tabs is that these are project-level global values; i.e. values that apply to the entire project. Keeping them on these tabs is simply keeping them where they should be.

Gary,

I've just done a more comprehensive test....

Peter

=================

Peter....

Yes, I see what you are saying about the mini-player not working correctly when slides are added/removed. I think this is a BIG problem because it causes confusion. Especially when the slides are spread out correctly in 'Preview' and 'Start preview from current slide', but NOT in the mini-player or the Timeline. After one would add/remove slides, and looked at the timeline to see that the slides were not spread to the end of the music, or play it in the mini-player, surely would cause a great deal of concern.

If the 'Auto Spread...' worked by automatically re-spreading the slides after adding/removing slides (in Preview AND in the mini-player), I would agree with you about the global values for the project level being in Project Options. But since it does not work, it has to be fixed or it should be taken out of Project Options. The 'Auto Spread...' is not functioning as a global value. This is what has cause me, and others, problems. This is what I have not been very effective in trying to express.

And, if 'Auto Spread...' is fixed to work as a global value, what is the need for "Arrange all points"? Would that still be needed? Not sure under what circumstances you would use this.

In my added comment, I did not say that Synchronize music and slides spreads the slides along the music. In my suggestion to rename it as 'Spread/Lock Music Over Slides', it was to make it more clear that this choice spreads the music over the slides (as it does), as opposed to spreading the slides over music. You might have read it too fast. One choice, 'Auto Spread...', spreads slides over music and the other choice, 'Syn music and slides', spreads music over slides. (And when 'Auto Spread...' is fixed, there is no need for the word 'Lock' since both would be functioning in a similar manner.)

Gary

There is a serious logical problems with correct work of "Auto spread slides along music" option in PicturesToExe 5.5.

When it's enabled, many actions with project, slides, moving even one slide will cause need to change times of all slides. As result - slow work of Undo/Redo mechanism and especially slow work of MiniPlayer. Because of this I apply this option only you create EXE file, video or start preview.

This option perfectly works with simple slideshow program (like v4.49), but not when we have complex slideshow product with many features.

I even think probably it better to remove this option at all, if I can't provide its correct work in design mode of PicturesToExe.

Alternatively you can do same thing when you work in Timeline mode click "Timed points" button and then "Arrange all points". But of course, any change in slides will require call this function again.

Igor,

I don't think you need to remove the feature. I get the impression from the posts that people make to the forum that this feature is used when they want a simple sequence building quickly.

Those who want to build more complex sequences, (sequences where they are controlling what happens and when it happens), they are usually willing to accept that they must take full control.

I would suggest that you make a small change to the Project Options...Main tab.

At present you have a large gap between "Synchronize music and slides" and "Auto spread slides along music". I would suggest closing this gap and then putting underneath "Auto spread slides along music" the following text: (Works only with Create/Preview/Video buttons)

In this way you leave the feature enabled for those who want to use it, but you warn them that it does have some limitations.

regards,

Peter

...I even think probably it better to remove this option at all, if I can't provide its correct work in design mode of PicturesToExe....

...Alternatively you can do same thing when you work in Timeline mode click "Timed points" button and then "Arrange all points". But of course, any change in slides will require call this function again.

===============

Igor... I'd like to make a suggestion as a user who does not work in the Timeline much, but needs to use the 'Arrange all points'. New users, and users like me, don't need to get into the Timeline except to view the waveform to insure that the slides have, in fact, been spread to the end of the music selections after we have clicked on 'Arrange all points'.

My suggestion is to put the 'Arrange all points' button to the right side of the O&A button. This would solve the problem. Each time slides are added/removed, the 'Arrange all points' button would be easily available in the Classic View. What would help to identify when we need to re-select the 'Arrange all points' button would be to have this button go Bold anytime a slide(s) is added/removed/moved from the Slide List. The 'Arrange all points' button can be kept in the Timeline view if it also makes sense to keep it there.

Also, I would rename the 'Arrange all Points' to something like 'Spread/re-spread Slides Equally Across Music Selections."

I'd like to add another 'improvement' I think would be helpful for people who like to work in the Classic View. I'd like to see a horizontal thin blue line at the point where each of the music selections ends/starts in the Slide List (especially if you have more than one music file). This would help in rearranging the slides to fit within a particular music selection. Yes, you can also do this in the Timeline View, but it would be a nice feature to see where the music ends/starts when you want to 'Start Preview from the current slide' just before the music selection ends/starts to see if that works the way you wanted it. Much faster than having to get into the Timeline and find that thin blue line. (In fact, I'd like to have that thin blue line in the Timeline View to be more prominent. It is a little hard to find.)

Thanks... Gary

Is there a way to shift the entire music track ahead in the timeline with version 5.5? For example, I want to allow for a 5 second leader of black at the head of my show, but, as you know the sound track starts at this first black slide and I can't move it. (In hidesight I'd have built the 5 sec. buffer in to my sound track recording..too late now)

Its been a while for me coming back to using these programs, but with version 4.9 I would cheat this problem by checking off the "Sync Slides to sound track" box, which I believe locked the slide in. Then I would insert my black slide at the head of the off the show and the track didn't start until the NOW Slide2. Then I could uncheck the sync slides box and carry on with moving all my picts as needed.

Any suggestions for me on how to move my sound track ahead??

Much appreciated.

Try using the 'Auto Spread' music to slides rather than the Synchronise feature in Project Options.

It works for me.

Hi Newbie,

You can add a 5 second period of silence in front of music File in Audacity if you have it if not it is a free download but you will also have to download Lame as well.

I dont use it but if you go into Google Type in Audacity and it will find it, also I believe there is a tutorial for it.

All the best Ray