WnSoft Forums

How to make PicturesToExe more simple and intuitive?

Igor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I have read the many posts in this thread I slowly formed a vision in my mind of a radically new layout for the PTE user interface. I have tried to describe it in the attachment. When reading the attachment please think along these lines:

In my vision, the headings Images, Music, Transitions and Objects would be tabs at the top of the screen (just like the tabs in Project Options or on the O&A window). They would be laid out in that order left to right. The headings Preview, Create and Save would be buttons at the bottom of the screen. These would also be laid out in that order left to right.

The underlying code would be absolutely identical for all three "skill levels". The software would simply "grey out" buttons, icons and command options according to the selected "skill level".

A new user could operate the software at "Beginner" level until they felt comfortable with that. By changing their "skill level" to "Intermediate" they would see exactly the same screen contents but now some more buttons, icons and command options would be "blacked in" and active. When they felt they were ready for the final step up they would simply change their skill level to "Advanced" and there would be no "greyed out" items.

I don't claim that this is a fully thought through design; but I felt that the debate had arrived at the point where this was, perhaps, a suitable next step in the discussion.

New_PTE_User_Interface.pdf

regards,

Peter

Yachtsman1 :(

I cannot imagine the problems for the laptop users .... Where the buttons to substitue the pedals ?

Peter

I think that you see the problem with a good manner .

Personaly , Audacity is a good way for me , but why not arrange music files ?

The important is that a beginner have the posibility to put 30 slides with a music and do in three hours a synchronisated slideshow ; after , he will tent to do better seing the "stuffy old duffers " productions ...

The facility for the first time is a very important point for the future of PTE .

Best regards

daniel

Peter,

As a non systems person I think I understand what you are trying to do with this post. I assume one of your objectives is to provide a structure that will clarify the many proposals and suggestions that have been made here but also suggest a possible three level structure for PTE in the future. I'm not sure whether it needs to be a three level structure or if two would not be sufficient but I could easily be persuaded.

We must not forget the reason for this exercise which I think basically is to make this wonderful product more user friendly without limiting its development and high quality standards.

I'm sure Igor has done his market research and knows where his market lies. I suspect it can be broken down into two basic categories - serious and casual users. I also suspect that those of us participating in this topic, indeed forum, fall into the "serious" category. This in turn may well be sub-divided into groups such as those who like to push the product to its limits and by so doing set new targets for the future (and thankfully are generous enough to pass on their knowledge to others), and those who's primary interest is in the art of making A.V's. Clearly one can have a foot in both camps but I would suspect that the levels of in depth knowledge amongst those whose prime interest is in the making of A.V's is more limited. It is I think, they and the casual and new users who will be the main benefactors of an improved user interface.

With the massive development of digital photography the future for digital AV is unlimited. It is not only the young who are taking up this interest but middle aged and elderly photography enthusiasts who are rapidly making the change to digital are seeing the potential of AV. Most of us who fall into this age bracket are, shall I say, limited in computer skills! I have been trying to encourage members of my camera club to get involved with PTE and some have, but some find it VERY intimidating and difficult to get to grips with. It pains me to say it but from what I have seen of PSG it is much more user friendly.

Regards

John

Daniel,

I, too, use Audacity but I can see that being able to position the pieces of music against the slides in PTE could be very helpful. For example it would show up those places where the transition from one piece of music to the next was going to need extra care during the mixing of the final soundtrack. But I would still use Audacity to do the final mix of the soundtrack.

regards,

Peter

Most of us who fall into this age bracket are, shall I say, limited in computer skills! I have been trying to encourage members of my camera club to get involved with PTE and some have, but some find it VERY intimidating and difficult to get to grips with. It pains me to say it but from what I have seen of PSG it is much more user friendly.

John , I have the same experience with friends , and you said very well that I have difficulty to expose .

Thank you !

Peter

Ok for the sound !!!

Best regards

daniel

Jean-Claude made sometimes ago a good work about this subject, it's here. I agree on most part of his proposal, it must be updated with new features, but his work can be the idea to improve. What do you think about it ?

The initial post is here

It seems to me that in a first time, the V5.6 must have only new features and in a future version modify PTE in order it's most usefull for everybody, if we try to do both works, new features and ergonomics it will take a long time and not sure the job will be good, it's always difficult to do 2 things at the same time.

Jean-Pierre,

...It seems to me that in a first time, the V5.6 must have only new features and in a future version modify PTE in order it's most usefull for everybody, if we try to do both works, new features and ergonomics it will take a long time and not sure the job will be good, it's always difficult to do 2 things at the same time.

You have expressed the same thought that I made in a post earlier this year. See here. We are of like mind on this point.

regards,

Peter

Jean-Pierre,

You have expressed the same thought that I made in a post earlier this year. See here. We are of like mind on this point.

regards,

Peter

Yes that's right you wrote the same thing, I didn't see that before, sorry, but I agree with you.

You also wrote :

When building my sequences, I've never found a need to use anything other than "Fit to slide"

I would like you study my proposal and tell us if it would be OK for you, as you were a computer programmer, you must understand it very easily.

Jean-Pierre,

Yes that's right you wrote the same thing, I didn't see that before, sorry...

Do not worry, you have not offended me.

I would like you study my proposal and tell us if it would be OK for you, as you were a computer programmer, you must understand it very easily.

I have read your posts and think that I understand the concept of your proposal. I will spend some more time reading them again and try to understand the details as well. I will reply to this in the other thread.

regards,

Peter