WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6.1 Beta

Igor

Dave,

Now change the main image using the "Change Image File" icon at the top of the main PTE Window and observe the lack of change to the Object name in the O&A window.

PTE's behaviour when replacing an existing image with a different one can be summed up thus:

When the change is done using the O&A Properties tab:

- the Object Name associated with this image will be updated only if the Object Name is the same as the image name

When the change is done to a main image using the "Change Image File" icon in the main PTE window:

- the Object Name associated with this image will never be updated

This difference in behaviour can only be a source of confusion to the new user of PTE.

To my mind, this whole situation could be avoided by allowing the user to have control over the "naming conventions" used for Object Names; and for the user to have control over whether or not Object Names get updated when the image is changed. If the user had these powers then PTE would be working the way each individual user wanted it to. At present, the user has to accept the way of working that PTE imposes on them. The computer should be our slave: we should never be slaves of the computer!

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I copy that behaviour. I have never used the "Change Image File" Icon and doubt that I ever will - there is obviously something not quite right there.

The other thing that threw me was that I was "experimenting" with a slide that did not have a "Main Image" - a blank slide to which an image had been added in a "Parent/Child" setup - and here, although clicking on the icon offers you the opportunity to change the image shown, it actually does NOTHING.

If your setup is a "Cale" with an added image, the slide list shows the added image but it is not possible to change that image using the "Change Image File", even though it appears to be doing it, because there there is no main Image File to change.

The image does not change and, obviously, nothing changes in O&A.

So, summing up, I find that the situation would possibly be helped by renaming the Common "Name" to "Label" (after Igor has sorted out the "Change Image File" icon).

DaveG

Please try updated v5.6.1 BETA:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/picturestoexe-setup_beta.zip

In this build we've fixed the next issues:

* Fixed problem of v5.1-5.6 with black picture if encode DVD-Video on some old Intel video

* Fixed old visual bug with waveform on the timeline if update audio file.

* Fixed bug of v5.5-5.6 with objects which used customized "Time range" values.

Peter,

We also fixed the problem with installing and your antivirus. Please could you confirm.

Full list of changes in version 5.6.1

* Fixed old visual bug with waveform on the timeline if update audio file.

* Fixed bug of v5.5-5.6 with objects which used customized "Time range" values.

* Fixed problem with uploading of slideshows to YouTube

* Fixed bug of v5.6 when mouse cursor didn't change its view when cursor was placed over an object with action (Text, Image, Rectangle).

* Fixed problem with "Run Application" action of object under Windows Vista. Sometimes window of started application was hidden behind the slideshow window.

* Fixed problem with "Wait for a key press" option and objects with actions.

* Fixed problem of v5.1-5.6 with black picture if encode DVD-Video on some old Intel video cards.

+ Various minor changes and improvements.

Igor,

I still get the alert from Norton Anti-Virus about the "Suspicious: MH690.A"

I also hit another problem with a failed "DeleteFile". I will send you the details off-forum in an e-mail since the problems may be unique to my system. We can add a post to this thread later summarising the problem and the solution.

regards,

Peter

Hi,

In my PTE settings I have a particular template which is chosen as "Default template for new projects". When I start PTE (versions 5.6.0 or latest 5.6.1beta) the program shows a strange behavior:

1. I open an empty project, fill in some images, and close PTE without saving. Then I open PTE again, and it starts using the name, the time interval (6 seconds) and the transition settings (only fade in/out) of my template.
  2. I open an empty project, fill in some images, and close PTE with saving. Then I open PTE again, and it starts using the default name "Project1", the default time interval (4 seconds), and allows many transitions.

Best regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

If I understood rightly this issue it is right behaviour of the program.

When you set "Default template for new projects" option it means that it will be used when you choose "New" in the Main menu | File.

In other cases, last saved project will be opened automatically when you start PicturesToExe.

But if you choose New project, then exit from PicturesToExe without saving new project, start the program again - you see your default template.

... When you set "Default template for new projects" option it means that it will be usen when you choose "New" in the Main menu | File.

In other cases, last saved project will be opened automatically when you start PicturesToExe....

Igor,

If I choose the advanced option "Load Last Used Project", the program behavior is exactly as you say. On the other hand, if this option is unticked, I still consider the behavior at program start a little bit inconsistent (not a problem for me).

Best regards,

Xaver

Hi Igor/Xaver,

I've just investigated this myself. I'm using PTE 5.6.1 latest beta. I operate with Load Last Used Project de-selected. I have my own, customised template (called My Template) which is set as the default template. The customisation includes setting the Effects to just Fade in/out.

I launched PTE v5.6.1 beta. The Slide List was empty. I added three images to the Slide List and then investigated what Project Options...Effects was set to. It was set to show all transition types. This is not what I have set in my default Template. Therefore PTE is not using the template that I have declared as my default template. It is using "factory defaults" set by WnSoft.

I then closed PTE without doing any save. Then I launched PTE v5.6.1 beta a second time. Again the Slide List was empty. I added the same three images and again checked the Project Options...Effects. It was set to show just Fade in/out. PTE was now using my declared default template.

If I understand correctly this confirms Xaver's findings. The same sequence of actions can yield a different result. PTE is not behaving consistently! It is not always using the declared default template.

Why it uses it on some starts and not on others baffles me completely!

regards,

Peter